Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Poll

Do you want a Xenogears remake?

Yes
8 (38.1%)
No
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Poll: Do you want a Xenogears remake?  (Read 800 times)

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
Poll: Do you want a Xenogears remake?
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:55:00 am »
JRPG fans, do you want a Xenogears remake? If so, how do you want it to be remade? I often see Xenogears fans commenting on Youtube channels that they want an official remake of their favorite game, and that it "deserves more attention than Final Fantasy VII". Also, next year, Xenogears will be 20 years old. It's a shame Square Enix will miss the opportunity of releasing a remake of it in its 20th anniversary. Call me a fanboy if you like, but I think it's a masterpiece despite all its flaws.

This is how I want the remake to be like (besides adding all the cut content):

Character and Gear designs: I still want them to remain the same. Characters must be anime-like. It'd be a pity it if they were realistic-looking like in the FF7 remake.

Graphics: To be fair, I don't want the remake to be fully 3D. I don't mind if SE uses cel-shaded 3D graphics for characters while they're on the field or during cutscenes, but in battle, they must make non-SD, cel-shaded-looking, well-animated 2D sprites for both characters and human-size enemies. The 2D/3D graphical shift in the Guilty Gear Xrd games was a jaw-dropping achievement in game design. Not only its 2D character sprites were gorgeous and well animated, the game could shift between 2D sprites and 3D models in the blink of an eye. Sometimes you can't tell if they're 2D or 3D. Look:

Spoiler:

I think Xenogears needs something like this.

Character development: some of the playable characters were veeery underdeveloped and become utterly useless after quite some time. Rico was unlikable to me, even though he reminds me of Blanka.

Gameplay: Combat needs some serious improvement. Difficulty needs some re-balancing. Some enemies were waaay too easy, and some were waaay too hard. Some enemies at the end of the game die with just 2 or 3 punches. Spells were largely useless and not tactical enough. There wasn't a single spell or ability that could inflict status changes on the enemies. Charging the Gears' fuel tank was a real pain, too. The "good" tank chargers could only be obtained in the game's second half, and for insanely high prices (the greatest tank-charging accessory in game could restore only 500 fuel per turn, and the greatest fuel tank had a maximum of 8,000 fuel. It'd take at least 16 turns to fill the greatest tank up if it was empty). And I felt there weren't enough special options for Gears (just a few Gear-exclusive attacks and an HP-restoring option. The HP-restoring option was a double-edged sword: its HP recovery was based on percentage, but so was its fuel consumption). Also, I think the dungeon design in the original game was horrible. All the poorly-designed dungeons should be redone from scratch (pretty much all of them). Fighting enemies while jumping or falling was the pits (Babel Tower, anyone?). Also, Maria had no deathblows. Just because she had no fighting style doesn't mean she couldn't have them. She was totally useless when battling on foot.

Spoiler:
Maria needs a deathblow like this. lol

I don't mind extra content at all. One or two new superbosses would be nice for extra challenge. I don't mind new, secret dungeons either.

Voice acting: SE of America must hire professional voice actors. The voice acting in games like Metal Gear Solid and the God of War trilogy was just phenomenal. I think Xenogears deserves the same treatment.

Translation/Localization: A professionally-redone translation/localization would be nice. No lazy copy/paste translation like they did with Secret of Mana's remake.

What do you think of my opinions? Do you agree? Do you disagree? Discuss.

Edit: I forgot to say this. You are allowed to change your vote if you change your mind.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:59:34 pm by Almagest »
Currently working on: Xenogears Script Revision + Term Corrections
My ROM hacking blog: https://almagest712.blogspot.com/

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Poll: Do you want a Xenogears remake?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:02:50 am »
They couldn't afford to make the game the first time. Do you really think they could afford to do it right in nowadays environment when AAA-development costs have gone up an order of magintude since back then?

It's a nice idea but it's about as realistic as world peace or finding alien life within our solar system.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 11:12:43 am »
The game wasn't incomplete due to budget issues, it was time. The budget thing was just an internet rumor. At the time, Squaresoft's projects had to be completed within 2 years, or else they'd release them unfinished. 3D was a relatively new thing, and the development team was unexperienced.

IIRC, one of the SaGa Frontier games was incomplete too.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 01:00:26 pm »
Why remake a game that people already consider an all time classic?
I'd rather see a genuine remake of an RPG like SaGa Frontier. Actually start from ground zero and re-imagine the story and gameplay for a game that (mostly) everyone agrees was deeply flawed and needing renovation.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:09:23 pm »
In a different parallel universe it would work maybe.

Even if you remake Xenogears right it'll still be incomplete.  We're talking something so ambitious that it was to go over multiple types of media, not to mention what happened to Xenosaga (which will never be remade under the same banner due to conflicts).  It's sad but there's just too much hindering it, and the only way to address it would be if Xenogears was remade to the point of complete reimagination.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:18:45 pm by Chronosplit »

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 02:52:13 pm »
Why remake a game that people already consider an all time classic?
I'd rather see a genuine remake of an RPG like SaGa Frontier. Actually start from ground zero and re-imagine the story and gameplay for a game that (mostly) everyone agrees was deeply flawed and needing renovation.
But if they re-imagine the entire story, that would no longer be a remake, it'd be a reboot. A reboot is a complete re-imagining of a game or a series.

Rebooting a poorly-received game isn't a bad idea.

In a different parallel universe it would work maybe.
Who knows... it doesn't have to be Square Enix, does it? What if they sell their IP to another company?

Even if you remake Xenogears right it'll still be incomplete. We're talking something so ambitious that it was to go over multiple types of media, not to mention what happened to Xenosaga (which will never be remade under the same banner due to conflicts). It's sad but there's just too much hindering it, and the only way to address it would be if Xenogears was remade to the point of complete reimagination.
You mean, that the game was intended to be 6 games instead of 1? Yeah, I agree with you, if that's what you mean. But I don't think episodes I-IV would be nearly as interesting as V (which is Xenogears). Biggest problem with prequels is their endings. We already know what will happen. And the prequels would kill all the mystery surrounding Xenogears' story. I'd be more than satisfied having just episode V.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:03:39 pm by Almagest »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 04:20:35 pm »
But if they re-imagine the entire story, that would no longer be a remake, it'd be a reboot. A reboot is a complete re-imagining of a game or a series.
No, I think remake is the term I'm looking for. Reboots generally stay close to the original material and only change enough to be relevant to a newer generation (which is what 99% of video game "remakes" tend to be). 
When I say they should remake a game like SaGa Frontier, I mean it like the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers; basic plot intact but very different characters, setting and approach to the 1956 film. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:28:30 pm by Burnt Lasagna »

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 10:17:25 pm »
Eh, Xenogears is a product of its time and should probably remain as such (much like FF7). Most people aren't that impressed by batshit anime plots with mechs and copious religious references anymore. That stuff is a 90s cliche and many consider it heavy-handed and pretentious. Xenogears was already a roughshod mess as a game when it came out, and I doubt a team of newbies at Square Enix could improve it in any meaningful way - especially considering how clueless the upper management at SE has been in recent years. God, I don't even wanna imagine how badly they would butcher that hypothetical project. Fuck those guys.

Furthermore, I don't think Monolithsoft would pick it up as some collaboration project either. They already have their hands full with other stuff and have come to specialize more in exploration-heavy games rather than linear plot dumps. Xenogears' long cutscenes and railroaded progression don't bode well with their current design philosophy. The Xenoblade games and Breath of the Wild like to give players breathing room, not shove plot down their throats. So yeah, I don't want a remake. It's not really worth anybody's time.

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 08:50:18 am »
no, because it's very hard to actually find a SINGLE game remake that ended up better than the original. well, maybe there are 'some' such titles, but they are few and far between, and it only works fine when there are just superficial changes being introduced, like redrawing graphics in HD, remastering the audio or making the game work on modern systems. but the base game must be left intact for it to work.
what's done is done, let sleeping dogs lie. I wouldn't say no to a modern-day re-relase of the original game for modern computers, but it'd have to be mostly unchanged.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 12:22:40 pm »
Considering how bad I think the original is in multiple ways, I really think a remake would just be a waste of time. Everyone reminding folks of how it wasn't even a complete game the first time around are completely on point, and then there's always the problem modern remakes face.  Do you reimagine the original concept or update the presentation?  Both would be pretty serious undertakings, and I'd definitely rather see one less "we did this in one package back in the day and sold it for $60, but we're going to milk at least $180 out of you for it this time around."

I personally think this already happened with Xenogears anyways in the form of Xenosaga, which did a better job with everything Xenogears tried to do.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 07:13:51 pm »
Doesn't Nintendo have a majority stake in Monolith these days?

I think they'd still cut out religious references when they can, wouldn't they?
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 04:42:06 pm »
Doesn't Nintendo have a majority stake in Monolith these days?

I think they'd still cut out religious references when they can, wouldn't they?
Nintendo's better than they were back then but still really strict about religion.  Xenogears would find itself with a whole lot of executive meddling.  Truthfully something to the degree of Xenogears would only realize itself unrestrained in indie, and considering the game we're talking about all the Kickstarters in the world wouldn't be able to fund it.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 04:48:03 pm »
I find that people calling Xenogears a bad game really needs to take a re-look at it (I'm not saying to offend, but I hate it when people just throw those words around). The only legitimate complaint I found was the 2nd disc, and yes I do agree it needs a remake because of that.

Also Square Enix owns most of the rights to Xenogears, but not the other Xeno Titles.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 11:39:32 am »
Also Square Enix owns most of the rights to Xenogears, but not the other Xeno Titles.
Square would be better than Nintendo IMO, but I feel like they would do the same thing with it as FFVII where they would split it for the sake of budget.

That isn't as bad as it sounds, because Xenosaga did that too.

ulieq

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 06:55:58 pm »
Xenogears needs a sequal not remake, unless it's remade then continued.  I did thing xenosaga was the spiritual sequel, but that series also was never finished....Atleast Nintendo did right with Xenoblade!

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 04:27:37 am »
I still feel like Nintendo meddled with the Creative Aspects of what Makes Xeno well.. Xeno "whatever". I'm sure Xenoblade could have been way more better if Nintendo was just not in the picture period.

Then again, I'm reminded that Gears and Saga was still censored nonetheless by other reasons.

Seems like the Xeno Series is forever cursed to get screwed over.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 05:45:52 pm »
I still feel like Nintendo meddled with the Creative Aspects of what Makes Xeno well.. Xeno "whatever". I'm sure Xenoblade could have been way more better if Nintendo was just not in the picture period.
What was wrong with Xenoblade? The game was great for the most part.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 05:40:34 am »
Xenoblade was as perfect as JRPGs can get within the genre's limitations.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 11:55:58 am »
I also need to step in and ask what made Xenoblade bad--it's probably one of the finest RPGs I've played.

As to my beefs with Xenogears, outside of the clearly halfway done 2nd disc, the battle systems were incredibly unbalanced IMO and really only the mech battles were important. After playing it all the way through to the end, it really felt like the gameplay was an afterthought to me.  The plot is also pretty "meh" IMO--it recycled a lot of stuff that's been done much better elsewhere (Soylent Green anyone?), and it was definitely WAY too drawn out. You could probably make that argument with Xenoblade too, but XB at least gave you lots of cool places to explore that disguised the plot stretching pretty well--Xenogears' setting was just a bit too bland for that IMO.

Xenogears needs a sequal not remake, unless it's remade then continued.  I did thing xenosaga was the spiritual sequel, but that series also was never finished....Atleast Nintendo did right with Xenoblade!

Actually, Xenosaga was meant to be a prequel and parts 1, 2, and 3 of a 6-part series that Xenogears was meant to be I believe the 5th game of. I think they abandoned that plan after the 2nd installment flopped, but it was originally meant to be pretty strongly connected.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 05:26:18 pm »
I also need to step in and ask what made Xenoblade bad--it's probably one of the finest RPGs I've played.
I don't think there's anyone bashing Xenoblade here. I only see words of praise. I can't comment on XB, though - I've never played it and don't know of anybody in my hometown who owns a Wii. People here usually prefer Sony and Microsoft's consoles.

Actually, Xenosaga was meant to be a prequel and parts 1, 2, and 3 of a 6-part series that Xenogears was meant to be I believe the 5th game of. I think they abandoned that plan after the 2nd installment flopped, but it was originally meant to be pretty strongly connected.
I think Monolith Soft gave up redoing Xenogears right after the first Xenosaga game, to avoid any copyright infringement. It has nothing to do with sales imo. Plus, Xenosaga's ep. II and Xenogears' ep. II are totally unrelated.