News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Help with Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes playable characters names  (Read 390 times)

apraxiumRum

• View Profile
While I am still looking for translators for This, I found something I need to take care of ASAP.
Just take a look at this screencap:

I've managed to edit one of names in the party HUD using HxD editor!! Bear in mind that I couldn't dump the image file associated with it (it is a DAT file), meaning that I edited this pixel by pixel blind.
In other words, THIS PROCEDURE SUCKED ME DRY!!
OK, all I have to do is to do this for the playable characters' slots in the HUD, ONCE. But I want an agreed on/official/canonical interpretation for the names of the party members. Don't want to repeat the process again, I still have to change the "End" picture too.
Sometimes I've seen other websites uses "Selios","Serious", "Celios". "Runan", "Lunan", "Ryunan", "Lou", "Lowe", "Ro", "Giles", "Gale".

Name in Japanese *Name in US *My interpretation
セリオス *Logan *Selious
リュナン *Ethan *Runan
ロー *Markus *Lou
ゲイル *Giles *Gale
ソニア *Sonia *Sonia

Can you help me?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:17:57 am by apraxiumRum »

Hemlock

• View Profile
Re: Help with Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes playable characters names
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 10:42:46 am »
One question. Are any of the names a crucial point to the overall plot?

apraxiumRum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 11:02:35 am »
No, they aren't....technically.
I aim to give the best I could in this project, and that includes providing a better translation.
These names are meant for the party's HUD picture. Everything that is shown in text could be simply edited (that include Items, dialogue with names, cutscenes, locations, monsters' names and battles).
The HUD however, need to match the set of names of the characters, and it is difficult to "Edit" because I am editing a picture by pixels, not a text.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 07:15:13 pm »
セリオス = Caelius, perhaps?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caelius

リュナン - I have no clue about this one, but that small ュ (yu) often represents the letter "y" in foreign names. Something like Lynan or Rynan.

ロー - Law?

ゲイル is Gale indeed.

ソニア = either Sonia or Sonya.

Bottom-right text says ロンドの港, which roughly translates to Rondo's Port.

あと in this context means how much EXP your character needs to level up.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:31:20 pm by Almagest »
Currently working on: Xenogears Script Revision + Term Corrections
My ROM hacking blog: https://almagest712.blogspot.com/

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:05:58 pm »
I'm guessing the "US" names are from the TurboGrafx-CD version? It looks like indeed Hudson or whoever translated it just made up new names.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 02:18:38 am »
Sometimes there's just no way to know what Japanese names are referring to, which is exactly why they are often changed in localizations. The developers probably had specific names in mind, but if they aren't standardized, we can only guess.
セリオス Sirius
ロー Lou
リュナン Lynan (Irish name)
ゲイル Gayle
ソニア Sonja

If you're having trouble extracting the HUD image data into an editable format, you might consider trying to find a matching image format (such as a Playstation TIM file) and graft the raw data into an appropriate header.

Another option is to make an ASM file (for use with ARMIPS) to inject the image-text just like normal text by swapping out text-tables. I did this for the end credits on a game. Each pixel row of a letter follows a specific byte pattern. I made a separate text-table for each pixel row- ie the first table contained only the top pixel for each letter in the alphabet, the second table the second pixel etc. 

If I wanted to write a name like "SONJA", the ASM would use text-table 1 to inject the  top row, skip an appropriate number of bytes, then change to table 2 for the second row and so on. It's a bit wonky to set up, but it does make edits easy.