News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Zelda 2 hack - Help needed  (Read 678 times)

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
Zelda 2 hack - Help needed
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:23:33 am »
I had scrapped my initial project and started again from scratch, since my last one kept developing errors. This one was going smooth until the very end. My world map is done, text, all stages, palaces, everything is just about done.... except for 1 problem. Once you leave the opening temple, the game freezes. I'm not good with hex editors, so I can use some help in fixing this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKaVFU_oksUbHR0ZFVjZ0t2NGs/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKaVFU_oksUM2RHbFpvNFVqdW8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKaVFU_oksUbF8wdVEzWlJ1U2M/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKaVFU_oksUTGc3YjU3eUxfVDQ/view?usp=sharing

Also, I tried gfx editing, but trying to change the heading in this game it too complicated for me. I lose patience with it, so if someone can create a new heading for me, that would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to change the heading from "The Adventure Of Link" to "The Triforce Of Courage". I would prefer to do something like the pic below, but I know that's not possible.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKaVFU_oksUaVNSRFIxN2hHOVU/view?usp=sharing
[/i]

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: Zelda 2 hack - Help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 05:05:35 pm »
What do you mean by "heading"?

The title screen graphics are at $$21010-2168F.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 03:10:11 am »
What do you mean by "heading"?

The title screen graphics are at $$21010-2168F.

I think he means exactly that: the title screen. Though I've never heard anyone call it that before. :D

And yes, that example you posted is impossible, but you could do a rough approximation. You can use three distinct colours plus a background in every square of four tiles (two by two), so you'll need not only to edit the graphics in something like Tile Molester, but also find the palettes and hack them, too.

itemdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:05:32 am »
Sorry to hear you had to scrap your original game and start all over again and still are having problems. I wish I could help only thing I could think of is that you've created a bad warp leaving palace 1 which causes the game to crash. Hopeful someone here can help you and its just a simple fix. cant wait to try your hack.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:19:27 am »
I did mean title scree. Sorry everyone

Something happened and no matter where I test it, when I try to enter the world map, it freezes, and I don't know how to pinpoint where it's coming from to even fix it. I could really use some help.

October 20, 2017, 11:22:28 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Itemdrop - Yes, I had to scrap the old project and start from scratch, but it allowed me to come up with some better ideas. If I could solve this bug, you'll be able to play it.

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 11:25:46 am »
Glad to see you are still at it!  At least you didn't have issues with the Great Palace this time around!  :P  If you send me a PM and a link to your hack, I can take a look at it.  Maybe help figure out what's causing this new glitch.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 01:13:57 am »
Something happened and no matter where I test it, when I try to enter the world map, it freezes, and I don't know how to pinpoint where it's coming from to even fix it. I could really use some help.

PM me. I'll probably have some productive free time this week...

Another thing to watch out for re: the Title Screen is the IRQ triggered just before the water. Most of it is hidden by the rock sprites on the center-right, but you can still see a small 8x1 patch of blue flickering.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 11:49:31 pm »
I did some testing and found where the glitch is occurring.  The Palace Pointer data near ROM address 4790 is causing it.  I sent you a link with a fixed ROM in a PM.  When you go to change Palace Pointers, keep testing it every time you make a change so you can prevent the same glitch from happening.

When you make a lot of changes all at once, any errors you make along the way can get lost in tons of data making it hard to pinpoint what caused it.  Make plenty of back ups to be safe! :)

itemdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 12:49:13 pm »
Yeah this is some really good advice I don't think I saved enough, For my project I have about 279 saves so far and haven't left west hyrule, but I feel like I should probably have double that in saves. I'm glad you were able to find the issue ice penguin hopefully i'll be playing this in the next week or so XD

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 02:21:00 pm »
Yeah this is some really good advice I don't think I saved enough, For my project I have about 279 saves so far and haven't left west hyrule, but I feel like I should probably have double that in saves. I'm glad you were able to find the issue ice penguin hopefully i'll be playing this in the next week or so XD

Saving back ups is a good habit!  ;)  When I did my Zelda II hacks, I don't think I ever got near 279, so you are doing pretty good!  Haha.

For my Link's Awakening hack, I have about 700 or so back ups.  Most of them are useless now, though.  It started in Jan 2014, so they have added up quite a bit over the years.  It's kinda fun looking at old builds to see how things progressed.

Anyway, ultimaweapon, let me know if you need anymore help!  I'll try to check back often over the next week or so.  Seems like you are pretty close to finishing, so best of luck!

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 01:15:17 am »
How many Zelda fans would seriously consider a retro console of the notoriously worst Zelda title out there? Esp. when most fans stopped gameplay from too-much open world graphics. Many fans were interested in the beginning (for BOTW), but how many of them even completed the quest?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:49:36 pm by danke »
One small step for man,
one giant leap for mankind. -Neil Armstrong

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 08:27:07 pm »
How many Zelda fans would seriously consider a retro console of the notoriously worst Zelda title out there?

I would.

Zelda 2 is a great game! I wish there were more hacks of it, especially this time of year.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:21:42 pm by danke »

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 01:29:30 am »
Once I fix an issue with The Great Palace, my hack will be ready for everyone to play.