Worthy enough update. Took another break for other megaman-related things. Well, I came back and decided to pick a random topic of interest: How Buster-Parts modify the BusterGun's attributes.
I must be getting good at this.
So, I scanned for changing BusterValues in ePSXe1.9.25 using CheatEngine (the ram locations never change in a game loaded in this emulator, even after the emulator resets or the entire computer resets).
I found Attk to be CheatEngine=B40D4C. I rendered the following formula for MML1 (possibly all PSX games?), to be (ePSXe&CE)-(A8B6A0)=(NativeRAM) which means RAM=B56AC. C is Attk, D is Energy, E is Range, F is Rapid.
I ran a Break for RapidFire at B56AF, and found on the second break, that the value loads from RAM=900F6(-199h), or 8FF5F.
Sure enough, 01 is the value at 8FF5F, and a lot of conveniently buster-part-looking values lie in the same area (a lot of 00s, with peppered in 01, 02, 03, and 04's).
Well, changing that location's 01 to 03, now causes RapidFire to always grant +3 when equipped, for the duration of the game.
The 16-byte neighborhood can be searched in ROM, where one finds a result: ROM=F63B7 for RapidFire. From this general location, I can likely change the strengths of all buster parts in the game.
Rebalance ahoy! I'm going to give rapid parts so much rapid, rpd/eng parts so much rapid, attk parts I might even reduce attack power on the farther endgame parts and grant energy instead.
I have to change "buster part description" text manually, but that's easy as hell and has already been established in practice to a point of elementary level work. Another important note, is that rapid is locked at +4 as MAX in the engine (manually forcing the player's rapid beyond it, results in same ROF). So... I'm going to have to get creative about the rapid values and possibly peppering in +eng to go along with +rpd.
Also, my city won the baseball world series 2017 for the first time in the team's 50 year existence. I don't even like baseball, but it makes for good conversation.
November 04, 2017, 08:43:12 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
...and so it is decided. Balance is as follows, because this is the 1 thing in life I actually get to balance so I'ma act like I'm MLG and am god's gift to balancing.
- Rapid parts always grant +2 for tier1, or +4 for tier2.
- Sniper units have +rng+atk, buster units have +eng+rng, because that makes way more sense in my head. Any Objections?
- Everything +Atk has been limited to lower numbers. Only 2 obtainable parts in the game have +3Atk (PowerStream and PowerRaiserΩ)
- Anything Max (+7), is now +3 for 2 attributes.
- "BusterMax" is now "OmniUnitΩ" (Atk/Eng +3, Rng/Rpd +2) ; Formerly "OmniUnitΩ" is now "OmniUnit ⧜" (All +2). Easymode eNuff
How this changes vanilla strategy:
- "Power Raiser" (A:+1), "⧜" (A:+2), "Ω" (A:+3)
- "Turbo Charger" (E:+1), "⧜" (E:+2), "Ω" (E:+3)
- "Range Booster" (R:+1), "⧜" (R:+2), "Ω" (R:+3)
- "Rapid Fire" (S:+2,E+1), "Rapid Striker" (S:+4)
- "Omni-Unit" (A/E/R:+1, S+2), "⧜" (ALL:+2)
- "Omni-Unit Ω" ("
BusterMax") (A/E:+3, R/S+2)
- "Blast Unit" (A:+1,E:+2), "Laser" (A+2,E+2), "Blaster Unit Ω" (A:+2,E:+3)
- "Sniper Unit" (A:+1,R:+2), "Sniper Range" (A:+1,R:+3), "Sniper Unit Ω" (A:+2,R:+3)
- "Buster Unit" (E:+2,R+1), "Buster Unit Ω" (E:+3,R+2)
- "Power Stream" (A/E:+3), "Auto Battery" (E/S+4)
- Attk requires eng/rng/rpd sacrifices to boost and can't be boosted as early either.
- Rpd is now easy to include with other builds.
- Eng can be boosted earlier and coupled with rapid will probably be stronger dps than attk, but max-eng is still limited at the top-level parts to reduce maxing.
- Range is reduced at higher levels, and reduced what includes it with other attributes, so range must be more intentionally equipped.
BusterMax Omni-Ω, more can be maxed by endgame minus attk, less if maxing attk.
(WITH Omni-Ω I believe there is at least 1 build that lets you max everything by endgame: Omni-Ω & Omni-⧜ & and whatever random Attk-Eng-Rng part)
- Lastly, if possible, difficulty can be further increased, by reducing 2 buster slots to 1 (and joint plug granting 2nd instead of 3rd). That way, first half of game is played with 1 part, and later half has to finish while limited to 2 parts.