News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Regarding Star Ocean no S-DD1/96Mbit hack  (Read 263 times)

sikmo

• View Profile
Regarding Star Ocean no S-DD1/96Mbit hack
« on: October 17, 2017, 03:02:52 pm »
Hello,

Have anyone tried using this https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/614/ with an original (untranslated) Japanese ROM?

The readme says to "Use this patch on an original JPN Star Ocean ROM" regarding 96Mbit_SO_JPN.xdelta
I have tried 96Mbit_SO_JPN.xdelta with multiple rom dumps and it always returned "target window checksum mismatch" error. I also tried ignoring the checksum mismatch, but the resulting rom, when testing with Sleuth, would be filled with graphical glitches.
Now the weird thing is, I tried the JPN patch with a translated rom and it successfully got patched and testing it with Sleuth shows it working in its original Japanese!

So I'm wondering, is this normal? Should the readme be changed to note that both the JPN and EN patches should be used with a translated rom? Or should another JPN xdelta patch be made for use with an untranslated rom?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Regarding Star Ocean no S-DD1/96Mbit hack
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 01:06:24 pm »
You shouldn't need to use this unless you're using a crazy old version of an emulator.  I don't quite remember, but I think ZSNES even had this issue down pat.

As far as real hardware, I'm not sure how flashcarts handle this.  Anyone?

sikmo

• View Profile
Re: Regarding Star Ocean no S-DD1/96Mbit hack
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 03:09:17 pm »
Yeah, the hack is essential to play the game on flash carts that don't have S-DD1 emulation such as SD2SNES and pretty much every other flash cart as of now. Currently I don't have one to test fully on, but the problem occurs even before that; just trying the 96Mbit_SO_JPN.xdelta on a Japanese ROM, as the readme says, will give a checksum mismatch error.