News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Custom console thread  (Read 554 times)

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
Custom console thread
« on: October 17, 2017, 01:56:30 am »
I recently decided it was time to take a trip down memory lane so I started fixing up an old Playstation I had in my junk room, then decided to get a little carried away.
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm not done yet, but here's what I got so far on my PSX in the past couple of days.

I added two 5v fans that blow air in from the top so the heat can flow out the vents in the side because... Well, just because. I can leave this thing on forever and it will never get hot. I'm hooking these to a separate power source that will plug in the back but I don't have the input in place yet because I salvaged it from something else. My new soldering iron hasn't arrived yet so I have no way to desolder it from the board it was on. Everything on the new circuit (whatever else I decide to add) will have it's own on/off switch that I'm going to place directly over the original power cord.

I also replaced the laser and as you can see I cut out the lid and then added a little plexiglass window (which you probably can't see). I'll probably smooth the edge of the window out a little more but I couldn't wait to put the plastic in to see how cool it looked. I think I might either move the green LED next to the power switch to the lid to where it can reflect through the plexiglass and hopefully glow a little. If it doesn't glow then I'll add some additional LED's to the new "accessory" circuit.

Besides that I think I might give it a nice glossy paint job. Thinking about going with a black and lime green theme. Black for the body, green rings around the edges of the buttons and green around the rim of the lid (but black on the flat part on the back with the hinges). It'll probably look like a Type-O-Negative Playstation when I'm done. LOL

I guess it might be hard to tell but there's a Gameshark hooked to the back that has been overwritten with some software that allows me to play burned games without having to do any disc swapping bullshit and the best part is that it's not a permanent mod. I can just take the Gameshark out and stick it in another PSX.

I wanted to get the most out of this thing so I got an s-video cable, PS Mouse, link cable (since I have more than one TV and more than enough parts to fix up a second console), two dual shock controllers and one of those ridiculous memory cards than can store like 90-something times what a normal one can (you switch banks with a button combo). This thing is loaded for bear.

So have any of you ever taken it upon yourself to customize one of your consoles? Or, have you ever purchased a console that someone else modified (be it a gaudy makeover or for pirating purposes)?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Custom console thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:16:23 am »
The only mods I've done are the more obvious ones, like mod chips in things like the Dreamcast. I have a PAL SNES which I modified to add a 50/60hz switch and knock out the region lock - which, by the way, EVERY user of a PAL SNES should do, since many PAL games run slowly and with a squashed picture. Unlike the NES, which needs a totally different CPU to work properly, the SNES can cope fine, meaning most companies couldn't be bothered to modify the code to get games running correctly. Being able to play Super Famicom games without an adapter and looking correctly is just great. Pity I can't play it these days as it's a couple of thousands miles from me... :(

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:07:15 am »
way cool, love your mod. even more so because while the PC scene is rife with modders, you don't usually see this kind of treatment with consoles.
black+lime green sounds bold, and I love what you did with the fans and the plexi there.
anyway, keep at it, and be sure to post your progress sometimes! I'd love to see what you're going to do with the leds and all.  :thumbsup:

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 01:44:39 pm »
I wanted to do a set of Pokedex-Gameboys myself but funds are always too low to get the project off the ground,
I also have a friends Xbox 360 I wanted to pimp out before I send it back but that project is doa as well.

I like your mod btw, with those vents on top you could go steampunk with it if you wanted.
Sleepy's tune of the week: Degiheugi - Opening Credits - https://youtu.be/dGZmQQ8YDkk

Sliver X

• Master of Ceremonies
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:18:16 pm »
Does taking a phone and doing something like this to it count?

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 10:42:59 pm »
I modded my so much it barely classifies as one anymore. I'm talking gamecube controllers, an entirely new home menu, new launcher, games can be flashed to the USB stick straight from the Wii meaning I don't have to worry about broken discs anymore. It's literally just a shell it's former self.

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 04:24:56 am »
Does taking a phone and doing something like this to it count?

way cool, love your mod. even more so because while the PC scene is rife with modders, you don't usually see this kind of treatment with consoles.
black+lime green sounds bold, and I love what you did with the fans and the plexi there.
anyway, keep at it, and be sure to post your progress sometimes! I'd love to see what you're going to do with the leds and all.  :thumbsup:

I bought a couple broken PSX's so I could have plenty of parts to experiment with. I think I've got everything figured out except for the LEDs. I was thinking of going with green for the disc area and maybe red to replace the power light. Who knows? Might substitute one of those for blue.

Oh and I have to find a new donor input jack for the extra power I'm running in (since I wanted to keep this stuff separate from the stock power, I'm not an electrician  ;)) because after using a soldering iron for the first time in years I sent the one I was going to use into total meltdown trying to desolder the old board from it. It looked like melted cheese on a pizza once I tried to pull it off. LOL I've had some more practice so I'll get it right next time.

I'll post some new pics once I start painting again and some details on my design choices.