News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Term from SWAT (famicom)  (Read 417 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Term from SWAT (famicom)
« on: October 14, 2017, 03:11:35 am »
I'm uncertain of the term "しゅうよう", as it appears in the script for SWAT - Special Weapons and Tactics on the Famicom. From context it appears to be "extraction/retrieval" or something to that effect. In that case I assume it's "収容", but I'm making a lot of assumptions and would appreciate input.

Code: [Select]
($E4)Fの[BR]
($E4)F[BR]
さくせん しゅうりょう。[BR]
operation terminate.[BR]
しゅうようを[BR]
Please begin[BR]
はじめてください」[BR]
しゅうよう"[BR]
「りょうかい![BR]
"Roger![BR]
しゅうようを かいしする[ED]
initiate しゅうよう.[ED]

($E4)Fの[BR]
($E4)F[BR]
さくせん しゅうりょう。[BR]
operation terminate.[BR]
しゅうようを[BR]
Please begin[BR]
はじめてください」[BR]
しゅうよう."[BR]
「いや まて![BR]
"No, wait![BR]
まだ てきが[BR]
There appear to be[BR]
のこっているようだ[ED]
enemies remaining.[ED]

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Term from SWAT (famicom)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 04:20:32 am »
I watched a gameplay clip on YouTube in the hope of gleaning some context but man, I don't know what the hell is going on in this game... :D

I would suggest that as JDIC translates 収容所 as "internment camp/detention facility/POW camp/refugee camp", and you play a police officer (I presume), maybe it means something like arrest? Though I know there's a different word for that in Japanese. Also, 収容 is more commonly used to refer to accommodation, if JDIC's example sentences are anything to go by.

It could also be 収用, meaning seizure. That seems more likely in a game about a SWAT team: maybe they have to seize contraband. Again, without context it's hard to say for sure.

cccmar

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Re: Term from SWAT (famicom)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 05:01:24 am »
This game is known for being insanely buggy - in fact, it's nigh unplayable, as it gives you broken passwords at the end of the levels, can randomly freeze anywhere, and sometimes - when you kill all enemies - you are unable to advance to the next level. Also, some options don't work, like tossing grenades into rooms before entering. It could be more buggy than Hoshi wo Miru Hito, and that's a serious "accomplishment". :D

As to the topic - it seems to be 'arrest/detain', judging from the context, but again, this option may not even work in game. :D If it's not that, then the 'extraction' seems to be the best alternative. Maybe it happens at the end of each level (then it would make sense), though I guess you'd have to play it to check that out.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:25:22 am by cccmar »