News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Castlevania IV Drunklevania II (DemoCastle)  (Read 1256 times)

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
Super Castlevania IV Drunklevania II (DemoCastle)
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:55:40 pm »
Drunklevania II

Where does the name come from?

Drunklevania is a inside name of Super Castlevania hard mod made by DrunkenDraconian. TheMechanicalKoopa did come up with the name as he helped TheLastBelmond to patch his game. Drunkelvania was the very first hack "DemoHack" of Super Castlevania IV. The editor was in a very early state and the hack show suffering issus because of this too. (The hack is also very hard and unforgiving)

My hack OtherCastle tried to be the same thing just for casual player. I had the goal to make it look better. It was made in a newer version of SC4ed. It was also a lot of learning how and what romhacking is. For some reason I thought you need to me smart for this. lol (sure it would help)

This hack may be a Demo what can be done with SC4ed. But I don't wanna call it demo since I may wanna learn some hex editing. Also I don't wanna change the physic or damage of the whip or other things that do not fit the hack. I also take some ideas of DrunkenDraconian there will be a level based on great idea of him. I really enjoin crating levels and I wanna create some difficult once here and cross off the unforgiving. It should be nice and addicting level design with short and hard puzzles/sections to solve. Yes this hack will have the speed potion again and it will teach some ring-glitching. The hack should future tow difficulties.

First Stage

The game will start in the swamp and the go over the graveyard to a church. From there you will continue your way to the castle.

I did complete the first water stage more or less.

As you might guess it is a level to explore. You will find a section with a checkpoint that teaches you to walk over spikes with potion. There are also easy setups to learn ring-glitching. I think even casual player who never did see that one will get it. Lives and continues are the same right here since continue will place you at the last entrance in the current scene. The normal game did not future very complex levels like this. It is very time eating doing a level like this. One more idea like that but after will try to stick to simple level layout.

Next off is finishing the swamp..

I started by doing graphic stuff. And I am new to it.. guess I have to get better. But it is a good project to improve on it.

Stage one is almost finished. Just need the second water slide.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:31:55 pm by bogaabogaa »

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
Re: Super Castlevania IV Drunklevania II (DemoCastle)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:39:57 pm »
Simon is still in vacation..

But we might be back soon

ShadyRounds

• Apathetic, yet Helpful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 03:00:39 am »
I'm rooting for ya.
Apathetic, yet Helpful. :beer:
Project: Megaman Legends Remix

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:37:41 am »
Thanks Shady-rounds.

Though there been many thoughts were I should go with this project. I named it after the hard mod hack because it should be this inanely hard typ one. But it really takes a lot of time to make a descend levels. I also think most people would appreciate a nice hack similar to my old one. May be a bit easier. And from my personal point of view I can make this hard typ levels for myself and I hope that I get my frind DD into making levels again thought we could do this KaizoVania project together. If you enjoin testing such levels you should join the CV speedruning discord and look for the romhacking section.
Also I feel like there is me and things I could do to get some CV4 hacking going. I could not motivate people to pick up the editor and work with it. It would be nice to get some documents going that will make creative work on the editor faster and more enjoyable. They are easy to create but will cost also a decent amount of time to put things together. The editor should be tested properly that we would know if there are more memory allocation bugs and if we actually more limited to memory space then it first seems. But for now there is a lot of unused space and nobody did care about using it so far to put some graphics in. Also witch pallets go where exactly.. this are the things I mean.. May be one more person to share progress with that also does work on it is nice to have. Not necessary but I like company and working alone will give me motivation issues like I had some in the past.

Whats up next?

The hack starts out to hard already and we will create a decent level one. I like to put the graveyard together with the Cave. I would like to put new graphics in. The cave has so much empty space as you see in the picture. I like some underground crypt going. And for the graveyard.. I really like the screen scrolling in this section. Will make it multi part. What I like to replace are the underground, mud and grass. I think it could look better but absolutely love the forest in this section.