News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: How Megaman 3's Palettes worked  (Read 398 times)

Prince Manic

• View Profile
How Megaman 3's Palettes worked
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:31:50 pm »
I'm hacking Megaman 3 to be my own crazy game using MM3 as it's base and I'm stuck within' hacking the palettes used in the robot masters select screen and how I can alter them like that My Little Pony game as most sprites share a palette.

I know Megaman has two to appear he has more than four colors with a trick Capcom did and that's confusing too hack as well.

Aren't the robot masters share a palette or it's all different and if there's a way to make a palette data for them just like the My Little Pony - Dr Discord's conquest hack.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: How Megaman 3's Palettes worked
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:33:12 am »
Changing Megaman's palette is easy with MegaFLE.

Megaman uses two palette sets: 1st for this whole body, 2nd for his face. In fact is, he can use all four palette sets, given that you won't likely to use the 3rd and 4th palette because these are mostly reserved for the enemies and those colors has different colors for each level rooms. The Robot Masters are using the 3rd and 4th palette, but shares same face palette as Megaman's.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:01:08 am »
Megaman uses two palette sets: 1st for his whole body, 2nd for his face.

But he's referring to the select screen, which I presume is using background tiles. I don't know what that screen does with palettes that makes it unusual, as I haven't had a look. It's not unknown to use a few well-placed sprites to boost the colour possibilities of a static screen, however.

Given how much Mega Man hacking you've done, Zynk, I guess you know how that screen works. :)

EDIT: Aha, now I've had a look at the game, I can see what's happening, and it's what I expected. Everything is BG tiles except for everyone's skin, Mega Man's eyes, and bits of Spark Man's head, which are all sprites. That's how they get around the colour limitation, like I guessed. So if you want to edit that title screen, you'll need to use a combination of BG tiles and sprites.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:22:48 am by Psyklax »

Prince Manic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:08:01 am »
I see now most are shared from the palettes for most Robot Masters.

now take a look at this screenshot of My Little Pony one

How this was done to create such colors like Rainbow dash?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:47:10 am »
How this was done to create such colors like Rainbow dash?

Are you using FCEUX? Turn off the BG layer so you can only see the sprites. My guess (without looking) is that Rainbow Dash's hair and eye are sprites, while the rest of his/her (I'm not a brony, no idea) face is BG. Both use three distinct colours. It's a good way of using more colours in close proximity on a static screen.

Prince Manic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 12:37:50 pm »
Yes Linux Version and this one is the non Debug version I can get the debug version and run it through wine without problems.