News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Monaco GP Brunette Edition - WIP - IPS Patch - Game colors updated  (Read 2750 times)

peixemacaco

• 70 65 69 78 65 6d 61 63 61 63 6f
    • View Profile
    • Old peixemacaco site found
IPS patch at the end, please read this...

Well, I was a little worried :o before posting this romhack...lol... with so many rules... And is kinda funny, because this game is well known state-of-the-art-racing-game-16-bits that received not one, but 2 10`s from EGM, and is already finished!!! Let me explain, I`m changing the game`s colors and patching texts, but if someone apply the ips patch and play, it`s fully playable, lol.

My intention was to put this on Hacks section, but it`s a bit complicated and the Super Monaco GP name isnt`t there for naming the hack. :huh:

I`ve choose SMGP , first because of my love for this awesome game and second because of our Super Monaco GP Community has just ended a championship these days (I`ve had run with Millions and Blanche) :crazy:

So, after almost 30 years, and not even one hack, Super Monaco GP gets updated, with 90% of all cars faithful to it`s real life teams colors. Some tracks with an new exciting color, besides that ones with only blue sky from the game. Drivers and team names updated, but only in Brazilian Portuguese version (I can`t find those texts to edit).

I can change texts from games, but only the simple texts that appear. I don`t know hexadecimal editing, table, pointers, lol...
Just used Gens K emulator to see the game`s palletes and change in the game with HivePal.

You maybe are waiting for some pic, I`had problem uploading images, so this is a video on Youtube, i`ve made for you from romhacking.net

Video with all screens changed, plus the brazilian portuguese with all teams and drivers names correct
https://youtu.be/E746HCw_Rno
Ps: Some texts before the screen updates are so faaast, please click pause to read :shame:

Now, I want to share all my research on internet about the Super Monaco GP , something about the audio that is making me nutz!!! Everyone who has played this game only one time know the poooor audio from the game voices... Terrible!!! But, using MDV Sound Editor for Genesis and searching many of the bank voices, i`ve found some quality voices like the Sega CD Version :o  How could Sega do this mess with the game?

I think, Stef who made a great change in Street Fighter 2 voices for Genesis may find a way to replace that sound with the actual ones in the game. Listen to 2 examples, please:

This is the voices of this first one : Final Lap, Keep it Up! and Good Luck!   
https://www.mediafire.com/file/60wlijenqji851e/final%20lap%20keep%20it%20up%20good%20luck.wav

And this is the voices of this another wav file: Common, Now it`s up to you! and Nice Drivin!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rw4emmzqquh46al/common%20now%20its%20up%20to%20you%20nice%20drivin.wav

To find this voices, I`ve used MDV Sound Editor(it`s on romhacking tools) and did this:
- Used a .bin rom like this that I`ve patched to update.
- Changed Bank Address from 60000 to 71800
- Where is written pitch on right side, put 30
- Now in the left side, choose Voice 16 that I know it`s one of them.
- But, if you all, search more bank address, adding 100 to the 71800 , like 71900, 72000 or inverse, 71700, 71600, you`ll find more of the same voices!!! Like, a lot more!!!

Before you think this gigantic post, it`s caotic and confuse, it`s not, my goal is to update the game , with better sounds, real drivers pictures from 89 season, like Dav2015 made on Ayrton`s Senna Super Monaco GP 2 with 91 Season. But if we could do this,then we can make an update year by year, with, maybe F1 2018, before the next season starts!!!
Some Genesis groups, make a update every year, like NHL fans...

What about a F-Indy version of the game?

Before I forgot...acknowledgements to Pyron , because of his color hacks and Youtube great HivePal Tutorial. To Stef and his deep knowledge about our Genesis Mega Drive...  Dav2015 , who created a wonderful ASMGP2 hack, with all teams , drivers and colors, inspiring me!!! And to DMN_Sonic , that corrected all Teams and Drivers names, as well translating to portuguese.

I`m just searching for someone who knows how to edit the texts,find and insert graphics, and the major one, the driver`s picture, your name will be in history, as one of the editors of a new updated version, but no money here...lol...just the love for this game!

Thanks,

peixemacaco
Brazil

Ps: No copyright infringement intended here, just a work of love for this great game... Seeeeegaaaaaaaaa

IPS Patch of WIP as of 10/09/2017 (applicable on the game Super Monaco GP (USA) (En,Ja) (v1.3).bin) http://www.mediafire.com/file/0r92xpos898o0ps/Super_Monaco_GP_Brunette_Edition.ips
You may share this files, but please give credits to who had this work done...
Super Monaco GP... It garnered an at-the-time unprecedented 10–10–9–9 rating from Electronic Gaming Monthly's Review and wasn`t a F Indy title.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Welcome to RHDN! ;)

Well, I was a little worried :o before posting this romhack...lol... with so many rules...

Rules? Not really, just don't post ROMs and you're pretty much okay.

My intention was to put this on Hacks section, but it`s a bit complicated and the Super Monaco GP name isnt`t there for naming the hack. :huh:

So add it, then. :D Not every game ever is in the database because not every game ever has been hacked.

Then again, if it's just a work in progress (since your title says "WIP") just posting to this thread will be fine. I think the idea of updating this game to today sounds pretty cool: if people can do Tecmo Super Bowl 2018 on the NES, I think this is possible too. :)

Am I correct that it's called Brunette Edition because the lady at the title is now a brunette...? :) I admit that I haven't really played this game. And although I've done practically no Genesis/Mega Drive hacking, I don't think it would be so difficult to find the graphics and change them, with a good debugger. I'd have a look myself, if I had the time.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Finding graphics might be a little harder since I heard compression was more common on the Genesis/MD.
Though there are programs that can search for common documented compression formats.

However, if it doesn't turn up, then you would have to use a debugger.
And the last Genesis debugger I used seemed to have trouble tracing VRAM access. (like it had VRAM breakpoints but they didn't seem to work. Especially since it said it had an allowed address range of $0 to $2FFFF, which last I knew was a range 3x larger than what the MD actually has. :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Finding graphics might be a little harder since I heard compression was more common on the Genesis/MD.
Though there are programs that can search for common documented compression formats.

However, if it doesn't turn up, then you would have to use a debugger.
And the last Genesis debugger I used seemed to have trouble tracing VRAM access. (like it had VRAM breakpoints but they didn't seem to work. Especially since it said it had an allowed address range of $0 to $2FFFF, which last I knew was a range 3x larger than what the MD actually has. :P )

You're correct about the compression, as a brief scroll through in Tile Molester turned up nothing. If there are ways of looking for typical compression formats, that'd definitely be the first step, otherwise it'll be reverse engineering through a debugger, which I've never done but would be curious to try. I always like to learn something new with my hacking. :)

No idea how to find audio. Presumably a case by case basis, or system by system. Maybe read about how the Genesis sends audio data to the sound hardware and find where it is that way...

peixemacaco

• View Profile
Thanks for your reception :thumbsup:

With time, i will put the rom at hack section... 8)

About the sounds, if you saw the section about it, this tool called MDV has the "way" to find them, but i forgot to say, that it can insert too!!! And I only want to change the terrible sounds for that, that I found... But, yes, we can change!!!

In Tile Molester, some of the graphics i`ve found with the mode 4BPP Linear , Block size 1 column, 4 rows. But appears to be waaaay diferent of the game, as the palette is not correspondant to .

Anyway, in the Sign "F1 Power" there`s another girl, lol, at the left side. I`ve changed one of them with my daughter... (I`ve said one of them, because Sega use many sprites to do a perception of scale and zoom), then I played and voila, at a certain distance there was my daughter... lol...but unrecognizable, with 2 colors only (copied and pasted on Paint, it was a fast process, just to see if works)

Thanks,
Nelson

Ps: Yes, the Original one was with an astounding Blonde at Menu Screen and before every race.  This is with the Brunette, lol, at first, I wanted only to do a test changing the eye`s colors of the Blonde to blue, but as I can`t do that, used Hivepal and changed entirely her to a Brunette.
Ps2: I`m not saying about blonde`s intelligence after all. It`s just to do a difference between the 2 games. :angel:
Super Monaco GP... It garnered an at-the-time unprecedented 10–10–9–9 rating from Electronic Gaming Monthly's Review and wasn`t a F Indy title.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
I'm pretty much sure this game uses the Nemesis compression format for the graphics.

peixemacaco

• View Profile
FlashPV, yeah, and  I was today searching for Super Monaco and Nemesis, and found one Romhacking forum archive from 2007 and , I think was you, saying about some games that uses that compression, and Super Monaco GP was one of them...lol

Continuing the research, I've found one tool, Sega Decompressor, here on RHDN... It decompresses and compresses Nemesis, Enigma, Kosinski and Saxman...

At first, you look and think it's simple to use, but is made i think for Sonic Games, as all codes (offsets) there is from stages or arts compressed from the game.

If Asmgp 2, that Dav2015 changed all drivers pictures, has this compression, maybe he is the solution.

Good Night,
Nelson

gadesx

• View Profile
Why not an edition of the F1 now with the worst car for Fernando Alonso, true realism

peixemacaco

• View Profile
Lol...it's what I want, before next season..but, Alonso continues?

About the graphic editing of the drivers pics, i think tag2015 who did this awesome hack of Asmgp2 is the solution to do this...
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1960/

Nelson

Digitsie

• View Profile
Just so long as it's branded with a new year number every time for a change, so we can keep the original Brunette edition!

Though I confess, I thought at first that when it was being called Morena edition, that he had simply inserted a picture of Morena Baccarin in there...

peixemacaco

• View Profile
Digitsie, it was a mispelling. I've write Morena, that is portuguese translation to english Brunette,my fault...lol...and after that, asked to a moderator to change the hack's name.

But I really do have the Morena version localized for Brazilian Portuguese with translation and drivers and team names correct!!!

This text patch was from a local friend. And as the text is difficult,for me, to change, i've decided to bring to worldwide, only the english version.

But now, i've seen that are a lot of translated hacks in other languages, soon I will put the Morena Edition ips, so if you don't mind the portuguese translation, you'll get the plus features.

Thanks,
Nelson

Ps: edited to change "courses" to "team"

October 13, 2017, 11:19:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Good night

Sorry for the post in sequence...

But I need to share with you, that using an interesting Nemesis MD Programs, with all decompressors/compressors inside like Nemesis, Enigma , Kosinski and so on, applying on the game, in a real offset , look at the decompressors result...

So , it means that the game is Enigma compressed instead of Nemesis?

Or it means nothing at all?

And the file result is yet impossible to see in Tile Molester or another app...

Thank you,
Nelson

ps: Thanks to Stef for the kindly response :)
Edited to change image from Scratchpad to Imgur
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:30:11 pm by peixemacaco »

peixemacaco

• View Profile
Sorry , but I`m posting here again, because of an achievement , acquiring the disassembled version of Super Monaco GP Programming...

As I had posted here, I`d already used a Nemesis / Enigma / Kozinski decompressor among others .... Contrary to what they said, being Nemesis (which gave decompression error), I got something with Enigma. But, the decompression of the tile in the corresponding offset, did not result in anything. It is not visible in any Tile Editor, in any way, even Genesis tile mode :(

A recent update, is that using a disassembler tool, I got on a Russian site, logically using translation, lol, I made the SMGP rom to asm ...

The tool, IDA Pro, has listed all the programming lines of the game ....

But ....

I did not understand anything at: all... lol

Anyway, I'll send here a link of the game program, note that the first lines are from the IDA pro program, but soon when the game name and Sega appear, there begins the programming lines.

More out of curiosity for you to see, or in case someone understands .... In the notepad opens, but it takes a while, since they are 8mb ... Zipped got 800kbs ... this is in .asm file

Follow Programming of the game Super Monaco GP
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qnurxnqny4fw76m/ASM+Super+Monaco+GP.zip

Thank you,
Nelson

Note: I have tried, for example, to search for the final velocities of any of the teams, converted to Hex, Binary or Octa, such as the top, 434 (Madonna), to see if it had a divine light, but find random results. ..hard to understand. Maybe someone here know how to treat these programming.

peixemacaco

• View Profile
Updated at Saturday 01/19/2018 - 03:10 am , Sao Paulo, Brazil hour
Greenwich at 00:10 am , UK hour

I`m so happy, that I need to share with you, that I`d discover only by searching hexadecimal numbers the power specs of all teams in Super Monaco GP. :crazy:

Since last post, the game has been updated, as for the last, in Christmas, all championship tracks get the nation`s colors...all of them... Brazil, Germany, USA, UK, Japan, Italy among others are incredible now...
Arcade mode now with the Blue/White car from Sega. Benetton with all 4 colors from that 1989 days, beautiful...
We have advanced and found the hidden texts, now I can make a International version (Super Monaco Brunette Edition) with all teams/drivers name correct!!!

But we didn`t get any advance in graphic change(driver`s pictures)... :(

So, let me explain how did I get to the specs on Hexadecimal...

First, we, a Facebook Comunity of Super Monaco GP that plays until today the Championship of this great game don`t know nothing about assembler programming....lol ... So we entered in the Game Genie method, converting to Hex to see if we find any values we know, like maximum velocity and other specs...

Game Genie method help us to find the drivers in the Hexadecimal, now we can change the drivers from team to another team...

With all team speeds in mind, 434, 424, 415, 406 , I`ve wonder searching in hex, 424 has less findings than the others, so i`ve put 01a8, and in the very first one, Bingo!!! Changing this value, the maximum speed change too, but for all cars in the game!

What to do now? I`ve thought... Maybe the team specs numbers were close to this number....

But no...the numbers weren`t there!

Now a light idea , opened my eyes and i see the solution!! If Team Madonna has the specs 100 100 80 100 100,
let`s search like that, with hex numbers 64 64 50 64 64....

And it was there, right to this numbers was the ones from Firenze Team .

Now we can change the values as we want...

Only left to find the team codes to swap the order...

Let me ask again, someone that can find the driver`s graphics to change, it`s a no money job, but you will be honored through eternity

Thank you,
Nelson

Ps: I`ve posted in this old topic, because have seen some old topics with updated info...and this is a major update!!

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
Use this program it'll find the offsets for you.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/766/

peixemacaco

• View Profile
Thaaaank youuuu FlashPV

But... and if the compression was Enigma or other?

Let me test before...

Nelson

peixemacaco

• View Profile
Use this program it'll find the offsets for you.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/766/
FlashPV, I`ve found the images and was Enigma compression, the app extract them as SMD, ok...
But when i load on Tile Molester or Tyle Layer Pro, I can`t see normal Genesis palettes, so if anybody may help how to load palettes in TM, because I can`t found how to save as *.pal or TM don`t load Gens savestates... :(

Update !!

I`ve found the yellow letters (which are images in Super Monaco)

I've been seeing old hacking forums and gathering information for a hexadecimal editor search.

The tiles of these letters should not use compression, as I could change them in the Hex Editor.

At the address of the rom I found, it has a sequence in Hex so on the line:
F2 12 D0 18 10 1a 00 22 00 08
...etc

Looking, from the exact location that the address indicated D0, I was analyzing and noticed a suspicious sequence, two "00" between a "22", as well as ARA

Then suspecting myself to be MINARAE I noted below:

M18 I10 N1a A00 R22 A00 E08

So I went there to dig and change to see what it gave ...

Look at the first attempt below.

As we know, the name was Minarae.

I then changed the order so M18 I10 N1a E08 R22 E08 E08 (switching A00 for E08) to get MINEREE, see below ...

It was strange because I did not have the bottom part, but I was already expecting it, because by moving with graphics, I had already seen that letters have the top and bottom

So knowing this, I followed the Hex sequence and found the bottom, after a D1-type interval just after the top sequence ...
 * AND .... BINGO !!!! *

It was there underneath
Where it was A00 at the top, at the bottom it was A01
E08 is E09
R 22 is R 23

And so on...

So I will show the second attempt with MINEREA written

As i`ve suceeded below it`s oficial team names.

McLaren

Benetton

Zackspeed (Zeroforce)

Next steps, see other possible letters-images like this ...

Thank you,
Nelson

PS: I hope my posts help also those who adventure in these hacks