News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V - GBA Script Port  (Read 2786 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V - GBA Script Port
« on: October 07, 2017, 11:34:49 pm »

Update By: 121J

Well, it was going to be done at some point.

Presenting a complete port of all text from the English GBA version of Final Fantasy V over the SNES version. All field text, battle text, item, monster and spell names have been ported over the RPGe fan translation using noisecross' excellent text editor. Sacrifices had to be made to cope with space limitations, but an attempt was to be creative in naming rather than using lots of jarring abbreviations.

Note - This hack is fully compatible with your save data, however all names are stored in SRAM (for whatever reason), so Krile may be named Cara in the menu.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V - GBA Script Port
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:11:00 am »
So Final Fantasy V is officially on the SNES now. :)

I wish I had more time to sit and play this. 

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 06:48:05 pm »
What are the major benefits of playing it on SNES?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 08:50:04 pm »
Hearing the amazing soundtrack in its non-butchered form! (Though the GBA restoration patch by Bregalad is wonderful too)
I've actually been working on something like this via Kruptar, I had no idea about the text editor! Definitely going to try this out.
EDIT: All right, first impressions - there are a few inaccuracies with the font ripped from EarthBound - the uppercase I, and lowercase i and l characters have serifs while the rest of the letters don't. Other than that, it looks great!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:24:29 pm by vince94 »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 10:36:02 pm »

Maybe it's just my imagination, but the controls seem to lag a little bit on the GBA to me. I don't know how to explain it...the touch is different for when you move the cursor around and go into menus and stuff. FF6A has the same kind of ...'sluggishness' to it. I don't quite know how to articulate the sensation.

Also the SNES version is not zoomed up to heck.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 10:49:40 pm »
Blame TOSE. The music engine in the GBA version is poorly coded so it's generating so much lag.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 01:05:10 am »
Does this use the numbered spell system?  I saw Haste 2 in the screenshots and was curious.  I know that FFIV hacks often used "squish tiles" for the spell prefixes.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 02:58:58 am »
It's the original, unmodified game as it was intended to be played originally.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but the controls seem to lag a little bit on the GBA to me. I don't know how to explain it...the touch is different for when you move the cursor around and go into menus and stuff. FF6A has the same kind of ...'sluggishness' to it.
I didn't notice this much in FF5A and FF6A, but in FF4A this is definitely very noticeable, and it really feels bad.

Also the SNES version is not zoomed up to heck.
The biggest change (which is probably what you're trying to specify) is that GBA has lower resolution, and as such, you can see less when travelling.

Blame TOSE. The music engine in the GBA version is poorly coded so it's generating so much lag.
Actually it's not the music engine but the rest of the game which was badly coded by TOSE. The music engine was coded by Nintendo, as with 90% of GBA games. But since the music engine intentionally takes a significant amount of CPU time (the GBA was designed that way), it's possible to partially compensate by bad coding for the rest of the game by making the music engine very fast.

Hearing the amazing soundtrack in its non-butchered form! (Though the GBA restoration patch by Bregalad is wonderful too)
Thanks ! It seems this very hack makes my hack mostly obsolete for english natives, though.

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 03:13:02 am »
All right, first impressions - there are a few inaccuracies with the font ripped from EarthBound - the uppercase I, and lowercase i and l characters have serifs while the rest of the letters don't. Other than that, it looks great!
From what I can tell, RPGe's FFV has a minumum width of 3 pixels for characters, and all characters have a one pixel wide space at the end. This causes problems with Earthbound's one pixel wide characters, as they have to have a two pixel space, causing an annoying inconsistency. As such, I had to modify them.

Does this use the numbered spell system?  I saw Haste 2 in the screenshots and was curious.  I know that FFIV hacks often used "squish tiles" for the spell prefixes.
Yes it does. I was limited as to what I could do with squish tiles, so I mainly used them for the abbreviations that stood out to me as the most distracting (Bserk, Qrter, Hast2), and tried to come up with alternatives to some of the others (Charm -> Hypno, XZone -> Exile) - I'd like to hear feedback on these. While I'm at it, is there a way to extend the spell menu from three per row to two per row, like in the Woosley Uncensored patch for FF6? Bear in mind my hacking knowledge isn't too great.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:30:43 am by 121J »

octorox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 12:08:08 pm »
First of all, this is awesome. The GBA script is really excellent and spices up the game without getting too ridiculous. I played through the opening to check it out and everything works nicely.

That said, any reason the Earthbound font was chosen specifically? It's a nice font but it doesn't look very "Final Fantasy". Why not keep it in the family and use the Final Fantasy III (US) font? Was it too chubby to fit all the text? I know Rodimus Primal modified the spacing a bit for his hack to make it take up less space.

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 12:20:39 pm »
That said, any reason the Earthbound font was chosen specifically? It's a nice font but it doesn't look very "Final Fantasy". Why not keep it in the family and use the Final Fantasy III (US) font? Was it too chubby to fit all the text? I know Rodimus Primal modified the spacing a bit for his hack to make it take up less space.

The font RPGe used was the one used in FF3US, but yes, it's too chubby, so much so that I'd have to trim down the battle text especially, mangling some of Gilgamesh's most entertaining lines in the process. I chose Earthbound's font because it was thin, as well as simple, although I did consider the GBA font at one point.

TimeSpaceMage

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 12:28:05 pm »
Finally, I can enjoy the GBA translation without those awful, AWFUL character portraits. Thank you so much!

Oh, here are my comments on the script.
-At the Wind Shrine, I think it said the Fire Crystal text with Bartz.
-Was there always a guy in Tule singing a rhyme? That's pretty funny but I don't remember it.
-I must've forgotten all of the GBA script... Bartz says there's a fish in his shorts?  :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:37:40 pm by TimeSpaceMage »
Tinker: "You're going to go where no one has gone before!"
Hero: "We've actually been there before."
Tinker: "Oh. Well, you've never been shot out of a turret, with only a minimal chance of survival!"
Hero: "That's true."

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 01:14:29 pm »
Thanks ! It seems this very hack makes my hack mostly obsolete for english natives, though.
Kind of, right now it sits at mobile having the most bugfixes like sword slap and extra content but questionable graphics and other things (it's basically GBA with new music everywhere else), with this being the original.

This is usually the case.  Others have used FFVI's GBA font for squeezing more in.  TWUE's font changes IIRC were on behalf of spacing fixes more than space management.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:23:05 pm by Chronosplit »

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 03:00:41 pm »
This is great and thank you so much! :)
Finally FFV is getting the translation it deserves....but I am going to miss Butz's "Oh Crap!"... ;)

8-bit fan
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 04:24:25 pm »
UPDATE

An update to the patch (version 1.02) has just been submitted for approval. I found some more space for squish tiles, and as such have edited spell names to restore GBA names for most spells (eg. Hypno is now Confuse, Silent is now Silence). The numbered spell system (Cure3, Bolt2) is still in place, though. I also made a few minor edits to monster names.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 05:46:39 pm »
This looks really good however maybe trying the FFIV (US FFII) font would look a bit better overall since it's smaller and more manageable than the BIG Chicago font used on FFVI (US FFIII). It would also allow you to be more uniform even for the menus and monster names. You could also use squish fonts like I did with Namingway Edition to try and better update the spell names.

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 03:01:20 am »
This looks really good however maybe trying the FFIV (US FFII) font would look a bit better overall since it's smaller and more manageable than the BIG Chicago font used on FFVI (US FFIII). It would also allow you to be more uniform even for the menus and monster names. You could also use squish fonts like I did with Namingway Edition to try and better update the spell names.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. FF5, much like FF4, uses an 8x8 font for its menus, so the FF4 font would be the same size, if that's what you're getting at. FF5 also has a 6-character limit for some spell names (including the white/black/time magic icon), so I'm more limited by menu rather than font constraints. Your excellent Namingway Edition was actually what inspired me to make use of squish tiles, however FF5 doesn't exactly have as much leeway as FF4 when it comes to this:

There's plenty of space near the top, however for some reason FF5 doesn't seem to like using any tiles above the Chicago alphabet in battle - it loads in tiles from below instead. I've used the space I can and from what I know FF4 has much more free space for squish tiles. Either way, if you think the FF4 font would look better aesthetically then I'd be welcome to try it out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:43:14 am by 121J »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 05:58:09 am »
Congrats on the release! Anyone given any thoughts for translating the FFVr hack here? http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1408/
:woot!: Seeking translators for some small project work!
8x8 Icons

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 07:20:33 am »
Just my luck that this would inspire me to do the same for FF6 (which I've already got about 1/3 done) at the same time that I'm starting a new job.

Hm. I guess nothing's stopping me from posting it in Personal Projects...

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 01:46:54 pm »
The numbered spell system (Cure3, Bolt2) is still in place, though. I also made a few minor edits to monster names.

I've been waiting for this update for years, finally will be completed the great SNES FF trilogy.  :)

Two suggestions, could you make an optional patch for those who prefer the current spells naming (cure/cura/curaga, fire/fira/ firaga, etc) ?
And about the Summon Shoat, could not it be Catoblepas (in-game ; Catobl/Bleplas/etc) to get the same name as the other games in the series ?