News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: 3DS Samus Returns and AM2R  (Read 1815 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Samus Returns and AM2R
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 01:15:05 am »
All right, so I finally took my first crack at the original.  I've killed four Metroids, triggered one earthquake, and found the Spider Ball and Ice Beam... and now I have no idea where to go.  I know there's a giant lake of acid which I can't get through; I guess that means I missed a Metroid somewhere whose death will trigger the next earthquake.  Only I have no idea where that little bugger is hiding.

I note that the original manual does not bother to suggest that when paused, the number in the lower-right shows the number of Metroids specifically left in the area.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 03:30:07 pm »
It does say the Metroid Detector "can display other kinds of information".
I guess that was the suggestion.

Still though, the icon changes to "R", I think. And even when I was a kid I figured it stood for "Remaining".

The remaining Metroid will be somewhere within the last area you were in (the bounds of an area or "phase" can be detected by music change).
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 03:48:20 pm »
Ah, turned out to be obvious.  I neglected to follow one of numerous identical-looking corridors to its end.  I figured it would be something silly, like a secret tunnel hidden beneath a pile of that bombable spiked-whatever.  Not setting any speed records this time through, oh no.

Still though, the icon changes to "R", I think.
"L", actually.  Could easily be interpreted as "level".

ETA: Coming up towards the end now.  I admit I consulted a FAQ because I had already gotten the Screw Attack and was getting tired of looking for the Varia Suit.  Turns out I missed it completely.  Its position as depicted in the manual (i.e. between two particular blocks) is not as it is found in the game; I was concerned I hadn't been bombing the floors adequately.

I only have four energy tanks and 170 missiles.  A FAQ suggests that should be just barely enough.  Oops.  No doubt being able to save-state makes this game much more tolerable than it was originally; having to clamber back to a save point every time you want to stop would be such a pain in the neck.

The Metroids are actually kinda wimpy.  Get in close and you can completely unload on them.  But the way they're barely animated and drift mindlessly through solid walls and floors brings to mind some kind of primitive handheld LCD game.

But the design in general is frustrating as heck.  Too many long, vertical corridors with tiny platforms that seem to go on forever, and not to mention the long, horizontal corridors filled with spikes.  Blech.

ETA2: Aaand finished, with a time a little under six hours.  Not setting any speed records, like I said.  The "jump into the Queen's stomach" strategy is immensely handy and I managed it with only 70 missiles in total, but it's very easy to get stuck in the mouth and I doubt I would have figured it out on my own.  (The trick is to stop moving for an instant.)

I really doubt I would have had the patience as a wee one for this game – not without getting some maps from Nintendo Power, anyway.  (Trying to get color copies in those days was a nasty, expensive endeavor.  Maybe I would have traced them.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:31:25 am by Jorpho »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 02:49:32 pm »
I'm a couple hours into Samus Returns, here's my thoughts so far:

The 3D effect is pretty good, but REALLY shines on still screens of artwork (Like the opening screens and the Chozo Memories Gallery).

So far I've seen, like, 6 enemy types in the 2-3 areas I've gone through.

The melee counter's kind of neat, though I'd rather the cannon be a slight bit more powerful instead.

Metroids seem a good deal harder to kill than in the original. Granted, I haven't played the original in so long that I barely remember said difficulty in it.

Free-aiming with the circle pad is nice.

Fusion Suit mode makes the game Demon Souls feel like a Spyro the Dragon game in comparison to difficulty. You get to run around in the Fusion Suit, which IS pretty sweet, BUT the first enemies you see in the game can stomp you completely into the ground in 2 or so hits if you aren't careful.

With all that said - still a pretty fun game. Definitely worth a go.

---------------------------------------

Oh, in case anyone bought the game off the E-Shop, is playing on a 3DS that can run homebrew, and don't feel like dishing out the extra cash for Amiibos for content already built into the game (yes, that's ALL they do - unlock stuff that is blocked off for no real reason other than an extra cash grab), then you'll dig this save file someone posted on GameFaqs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq3y6dkv4ejh2so/fusion-3%20amiibos%20zero%20percent%20%28thanks%20to%20flash-sama%20and%20wiifan420%29.rar?dl=0

There's 3 different exported saves to pick from. I used Profile 1 since it has all the amiibos scanned, is in Fusion Mode, AND is at the very start of the game. Also has all the galleries unlocked, to boot! :D

Easiest way of importing a save -

>Download JKSM (save manager)
>Start JKSM, export your current save file
>Replace the files in your exported save with ones from one of the three included in the rar
>Start JKSM, import your save file, and you're done.

BAM.  :beer:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 06:24:31 pm »
They just released the switch, but didn't release any version of this game for it. Must be Nintendo's way of forcing people to buy the 3ds if they didn't already have one. They might put it on the Virtual Console for switch in the future, once they enable virtual console. Looks like they are in the middle of making Metroid Prime 4.
One small step for man,
one giant leap for mankind. -Neil Armstrong

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 11:01:43 pm »
I started playing AM2R.  It's definitely a very different game – actually, it makes me all nostalgic for the olden days of DOS platformers like Commander Keen and the original Duke Nukem.  I love all the little atmospheric touches like the flavor text, the way the buildings have genuine designations, and the parallax scrolling.  The way the individual species of Metroids increase in difficulty is a need touch, too.  It is much less taxing of my patience than the Game Boy game, but I wouldn't call it "better", necessarily – it's just a different point of view on the same subject matter.

Must be Nintendo's way of forcing people to buy the 3ds if they didn't already have one.
Eh?  More like they think they'll sell more copies to the existing 3DS install base rather than the comparatively tiny numbers of people who own a Switch.  A remake of a 26-year-old game on its own isn't going to make people run out and try to find a Switch.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:13 pm »
One thing AM2R lacks is the feeling of depth you get from the original. The lack of fast travel options in the original means you're constantly going deeper and deeper under SR388's surface, which is just something you don't quite get. I get Metroid 2's designation as a sort of lite horror game, with the claustrophobia being the primary driver of that, and I recognize that's an effect of game design that wouldn't really fly in the modern day, but it's still sad that AM2R doesn't evoke this. It's still threatening in other ways, but it does lose something.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 12:04:46 am »
Oh, yes – the full-heal at save points is a little off, especially compared to stuffing missile batteries and energy refills separately in obscure nooks and crannies.  And then the bosses explode into missile-energy confetti such that you barely even need to stop to refill.  I assume the higher difficulty levels tune that up a bit.

Iceman100x

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 11:06:09 pm »
I see someone is trying to stir up some trouble. >:(

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 01:56:13 am »
One thing AM2R lacks is the feeling of depth you get from the original. The lack of fast travel options in the original means you're constantly going deeper and deeper under SR388's surface, which is just something you don't quite get. I get Metroid 2's designation as a sort of lite horror game, with the claustrophobia being the primary driver of that, and I recognize that's an effect of game design that wouldn't really fly in the modern day, but it's still sad that AM2R doesn't evoke this. It's still threatening in other ways, but it does lose something.
I can see these point. Kinda feels like it makes up for that in other ways. Personally never liked the cramped feel of the original. Never actually finished it because it just felt tedious. AM2R however, I'm on my second play through. The 3DS remake is quite good, but different reasons. Kinda hoping for an NSX version.