News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Which 5 games would you add to the SNES Classic Mini collection?  (Read 3158 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Which 5 games would you add to the SNES Classic Mini collection?
« on: December 19, 2017, 04:22:12 pm »
The title says it all. Which titles do you think would be the next essentials on the list if Nintendo had added 5 more?

Let's also keep in mind the system was supposed to have a large selection of game styles, so let's not add 5 JRPGs.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Which 5 games would you add to the SNES Classic Mini collection?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 04:36:07 pm »
Demon's Crest, Axelay, Killer Instinct, Chrono Trigger, DKC2.

If KI isn't available, Actraiser.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 05:06:55 pm »
Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2, Pocky & Rocky, and Rock n' Roll Racing.

2nd special because SF2: Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 09:48:03 pm »
Bubsy The Bobcat, Shaq-Fu, Bebe's Kids, Revolution X and Hook.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 11:52:29 pm »
Some more multiplayer stuff.  I reckon Tetris Attack would have made the cut, except The Tetris Company would have taken exception – and there are of course many ways to play that on other systems.  But Wario's Woods ought to have a slot.  Maybe Panic Bomber or Wrecking Crew '98 if they want to go really nuts with exclusives.

Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma would be interesting.  Maybe Equinox?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 12:13:32 am »
Earthworm Jim 2, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Mega Man 7, Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium and Super Mario All-Stars.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 01:21:27 am »
Bearing in mind that I have no idea what's actually included already, but trying to keep in-line with the OP rules...

Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Mega Man X

Street Fighter II (any version, my guess is they'd pick Super/Turbo)

SimCity

Final Fantasy IV (you gotta have at least one, and if I have to pick only one, then I pick my first love)

... And there you have it, 85% of my life from 12-16 years of age.

::EDIT::

MARIO PAINT! It'd be a major travesty if that was left off.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:27:31 am by chillyfeez »
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 01:38:48 am »
Some more multiplayer stuff.  I reckon Tetris Attack would have made the cut, except The Tetris Company would have taken exception – and there are of course many ways to play that on other systems.  But Wario's Woods ought to have a slot.  Maybe Panic Bomber or Wrecking Crew '98 if they want to go really nuts with exclusives.

Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma would be interesting.  Maybe Equinox?
I can't be the only one upset that Nintendo hasn't just rebranded Tetris Attack already to be over the title issue. Surely they can hack the title screen of their own game and they just don't want to.

I'd like Equinox but I thought that was a Sony property (which I assume is the reason we haven't seen Jerry Boy/Smart Ball re-emerge on VC). Even if they're probably never going to do anything with it ever again, they wouldn't want to license them.

Yes, I think the Tetris Company guy has said before on Tetris Attack, while praising the game for its own merit, regrets the decision of the Tetris name being used on a non-related game.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 10:32:59 am »
Can't remember what's on there either apart from Starfox 2, and do not want to go through all my old issues of Superplay just to see what scored highest back in the day, just so I can add it. They'll be no RPGs in my line up but if there where I'd go for Terranigma or Ogre Battle.

Parodius.  There isn't really much in the way of shmups on there so this has to be included.

Super Bomberman. Can remember them not including a Bomberman game at all so this has to be on there.

Super Puyo Puyo.  Nor this, you could even have the western Kirby reskin if you like.

Sensible Soccer. Not much sport if I remember correctly, especially not football.

Lemmings.  Another Amiga port and still a damn fine game.

A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 11:32:53 am »
I'm incredibly happy with the selection, but if I had to touch it to add 5 games, I'd say it's missing:

Chrono Trigger
Tetris Attack
Top Gear
Tmnt 4
Actraiser

This is difficult. There are too many great games to fit a selection of only 26.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 12:05:09 pm »
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Fighter's History
3. Top Gear 2
4. SkyBlazer
5. Bust-a-Move (Puzzle Bobble)

I originally was going to add Super Street Fighter 2 and F-Zero, but they're already on the SNES Classic Mini collection when I checked. Bahamut Lagoon, Super Tetris 3 and Tetris Battle Gaiden would also have been great choices, but I don't know if Japan only releases would've counted. It's interesting how Super Tetris 3 is completely in English, yet it was never released overseas. It's quite a shame since this game is great.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 01:00:33 pm »
Can't remember what's on there either apart from Starfox 2, and do not want to go through all my old issues of Superplay just to see what scored highest back in the day, just so I can add it. They'll be no RPGs in my line up but if there where I'd go for Terranigma or Ogre Battle.

Parodius.  There isn't really much in the way of shmups on there so this has to be included.

Super Bomberman. Can remember them not including a Bomberman game at all so this has to be on there.

Super Puyo Puyo.  Nor this, you could even have the western Kirby reskin if you like.

Sensible Soccer. Not much sport if I remember correctly, especially not football.

Lemmings.  Another Amiga port and still a damn fine game.

Super Soccer was on the Japanese version of the SNES Classic Mini. Probably many in the US would see that as "generic sports game" but supposedly it had a bigger fanbase in Europe and maybe Japan, for it to be included there.

Lemmings is a Sony IP now, which is a shame as it would've been great to see on the DS probably.
Lack of Bomberman does surprise me. Maybe because it's only a two-player console and they imagine Bomberman as the full four/five players game.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 02:04:54 pm »
I'll add a bunch later when I'm mostly done with the stock library and then I'll keep switching them out, no limitations applied. Don't really get why people play into this idea of a 20-30 games limit being a lot for a commercial emulator, it only benefits today's nintendo and won't lead to a bunch of new games like these classics.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 05:29:26 pm »
I had full romsets for various systems 15 years ago. They only made sure I never emulated anything on that system again. Having unlimited access to everything just makes it boring. Having a limited collection is much more interesting. Not to mention it's realistic to play through all of it, making going through them one by one motivating.

Anyway, I'm currently thinking along these lines:

Tetris Attack
Turtles Lost in Time
R-Type
Terranigma
Bomberman

I agree with the people who mentioned the lack of multiplayer titles. That also stood out to me when I went through the originally included list.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 10:26:34 pm »
I can't be the only one upset that Nintendo hasn't just rebranded Tetris Attack already to be over the title issue. Surely they can hack the title screen of their own game and they just don't want to.
It would be more headaches for them.  There would be endless confusion over whether "Yoshi's Puzzle League" or whatever was the same as the old game, and it definitely wouldn't have the same name recognition.  On the other hand, the name of "Puzzle League" is probably a lot more recognizable in itself nowadays.

TMNT 4 already ran into some pretty hairy issues the last few times someone tried to release it.  I can't imagine things going any more smoothly now.
http://hg101.kontek.net/tmnt/tmnt5.htm

What's the situation with Plok these days?  I think someone mentioned they ran into trouble when they tried to get it on Steam.

Mario and Wario would be a very interesting choice – except then they'd have to include a mouse.  On the other hand, that would be a prime opportunity to release Mario Paint and some of the Sim games.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 03:47:37 pm »
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario Kart
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past
  • F-Zero
  • Super Metroid
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Mega Man X
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Star Fox
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Contra III The Alien Wars
  • Secret of Mana
  • EarthBound
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Star Fox 2
My 5 games to add would be:

Chrono Trigger
Duh. This game was the SNES running on all cylinders, and if you had a SNES it was the game to get, when it came out. Everything that made Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana good wrapped up in a neat time-traveling package. It's sweet like candy.

Seiken Densetsu 3
They are currently working on a release of it, I believe for the Switch in Japan, as part of Seiken Densetsu Collection.

Gradius III
No Gradius, but Castlevania? Hm, something's not right.

Super Mario All-Stars+Super Mario World
Mario World is on the system now, but why not, if you really are trying to give us bang for our buck, just combine it with the other 4 games?

Final Fight
And bloody multiplayer on this wouldn't be too bad, Capcom basically tossed it out without it back in the 90s, be nice if we could actually see what it'd be like now that they've had time to catch up on their homework.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 05:54:48 pm »
Seiken Densetsu Collection was released in Japan six months ago, but we have heard nothing about a western release, other than M2 telling people to tell Square-Enix if they want an official localization.