News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Arkanoid Revised released!  (Read 862 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Arkanoid Revised released!
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:49:43 pm »

Update By: nesrocks

Arkanoid Revised is a hack of the Japanese version of Arkanoid released for the Famicom. Arkanoid was originally released for the arcades and it featured an analog wheel controller for rapid movement. Both the Famicom and NES releases supported a similar controller, called the "Arkanoid Controller". Few people had this and had to use the regular d-pad for movement, which is very limited, making the game nearly impossible to complete without cheats.

The hack addresses this situation by making the unused B button as a sprint modifier. Along the way bugs and inconsistencies with the gameplay were detected so those were changed to make the game more enjoyable. For example, the cheats which always felt like a necessity were incorporated into the game design more properly. The continue cheat has been converted into a continue option on the main menu, while the level skip cheat has been converted into a stock of warp pills, usable at any time by pressing the SELECT button. This spends a warp pill in stock and the exit gate opens.

There are two bugs fixed too: now pausing also works at the start of each level, not just when the ball has started moving, and the player can use the continue option even after watching the demo. Previously if you watched the demo the continue cheat would be lost, sending you back to level 1!

And last but not least, a lot of the graphics have been improved! New backgrounds, stylistic color choices for the bricks and new graphics for the normal, big and fire vaus. Game logic had to be adjusted to allow for a different tile on the vaus ship, as the center tile was previously repeated 4 times on the big vaus.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: ROM Hacks: Arkanoid Revised released!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:03:25 pm »
As usual nesrocks, you've gone above and beyond with this hack. :) Although FCEUX supports the mouse in place of an Arkanoid controller, the B button is exactly what this game needed: I remember trying in vain to get through just a few levels with the controller. Great job! :)

nesrocks

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Arkanoid Revised released!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:00:35 pm »
Thanks. I've just made another bugfix to the game, this time regarding the pause glitch when the ball hits a block preventing the block from being destroyed. If you haven't seen it, just start a game and pause/unpause non stop while the ball hits the blocks. Sometimes the block stays there and the ball can't destroy it anymore, so you can't beat the level. This bug is present on both versions, I believe: (U) and (J). It happens quite often. I've already fixed that, but have been testing to make sure it's working. Will update the file later.