News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Zelda Maker  (Read 1093 times)

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
Zelda Maker
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:14:14 pm »
https://www.patreon.com/DreamMix

For anyone that doesn't know there's a project in the works, that is basically a GoFundMe/Kickstarter/Patreon to get classic 8-16 bit Zelda worlds made, submitted online, like the popular mascots for Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Capcom have been doing lately.

The only difference is that Nintendo Japan has taken legal action against the lead programmer for this project, and the programmer has had to change the graphics from typical enemies and characters to clones to avoid copyright infringement and intellectual property lawsuits. It looks like it's near to be released soon. Probably within the next 3-6 months there will be a demo available for supporters.
One small step for man,
one giant leap for mankind. -Neil Armstrong

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Re: Zelda Maker
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 09:01:11 pm »
Looks pretty good, I'd donate but sadly .
Sleepy's tune of the week: Persona 3 - Battle Hymn of the Soul - https://youtu.be/bK8vpWIvA9o

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 08:25:50 am »
"The only difference is that Nintendo Japan has taken legal action against the lead programmer for this project, and the programmer has had to change the graphics from typical enemies and characters to clones to avoid copyright infringement and intellectual property lawsuits."
Is that a difference? I thought that was business as usual. Though actually I suppose use publicity generated to launch ebegging session is a new, though not unexpected, move.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:18:36 am »
So how is this different from Zelda Classic, aside from not actually being ready yet?
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:36:12 am »
Heh.

McAfee says Zelda Classic is a virus.

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 05:33:09 am »
So how is this different from Zelda Classic, aside from not actually being ready yet?

Hey, I'm not really sure I just searched the Internet for "zelda maker" like mario maker and these were the first results included, and didn't see anything about this on the website here. Looks like Zelda Classic is about 90% the same as Runiya, although it doesn't look like Runiya is a remake of LOZ NES. Runiya is also stand-alone.

Just wondering why Zelda Classic didn't get sued and Runiya did, then it occurred to me. Oh yea Runiya is charging money and Zelda Classic is free. There you have it folks if you don't want to get sued work for free. I guess we are blessed that so many fans and hackers love working with the games and don't necessarily care so much about payment.
One small step for man,

para

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 12:09:04 am »
It's kind of related, but if youre interested in making and playing SNES Zelda style levels online;

You should look up Graal Online, or Zelda Online from Cyberjouer.  In the late 90s, a company made an online version of A Link to the Past called Zelda Online, and were forced to change the name and graphics slightly to avoid copyright.

The game was actually very popular and had an impressive amount of tools and built in level editor.  There have been dozens of custom servers hosted over the years and it is still online to this day, but in a very sad shell of its former self.  This game was mind blowing when it first came out, and I'm so glad I got to experience it in its many incarnations.  Initially there was a four player offline exe which allowed you to make your own levels or mess around in a few premade ones.  It has changed drastically over the years but still might be worth checking out.  I would recommend finding older clients and older level packages if possible.  8)

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:48:51 am »
I see Solarus is back in the news.  Last I heard it was not quite finished yet.

Solarus is sort of like Zelda Classic, but targets A Link to the Past.
http://www.pcgamer.com/zeldas-most-dedicated-fan-game-developers-built-an-engine-anyone-can-use/

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 01:48:50 pm »
Zelda Classic is a little confusing for first-time players. Custom levels are called "resources" you have to install, and you can only play them when selecting a save file. I also couldn't get ZC running without errors until installing DXGL, which forces some programs to use deprecated versions of OpenGL, and I only found that out by reading some forum posts on an unrelated website.

ZC uses graphics from NES Zelda, Zelda 2, Zelda gameboy, and Zelda ALTTP. There was some pretty cool variations, but honestly it was pretty bare and not necessarily user-friendly. You couldn't search for levels through the program, and had to manually install them, and there were maybe less than 100 total to check out.

Honestly, I think BS Zelda 3rd Quest was a better way to check out updated graphics. Or Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets, a better way to see expanded levels of ALTTP.
One small step for man,

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:46:40 pm »
Just wondering why Zelda Classic didn't get sued and Runiya did, then it occurred to me. Oh yea Runiya is charging money and Zelda Classic is free. There you have it folks if you don't want to get sued work for free. I guess we are blessed that so many fans and hackers love working with the games and don't necessarily care so much about payment.
Being free didn't stop Nintendo's highly publicized triple threat of C&D last year.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 11:06:53 pm »
Triple threat? What games exactly. I only know of a few that would qualify.

There's so many fan-made clones of Super Mario on websites, they couldn't really attempt to sue all of them. You know those crappy flash-based clones that are like 75% similar to the mechanics and physics of some game that is 20-30 years old like Sonic, or Excite Bike, and the game only has 5 levels, and usually crashes your computer before you finish level 2 because it was created by someone in C++ 101 who doesn't understand anything about memory.

Megaman 2.5D is another example of a fan-based game that is as good as a corporate-released game.
One small step for man,

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 12:31:03 pm »
Triple threat? What games exactly. I only know of a few that would qualify.
Well, a "triple threat" would imply exactly three.  AM2R, Pokemon Uranium, and No Mario's Sky, I'm guessing.  Super Mario Fusion shut down (I think they were just looking for an excuse more than anything), and Mother 4 announced that they would change the name, but neither received direct legal threats, or so I understand.

There's so many fan-made clones of Super Mario on websites, they couldn't really attempt to sue all of them.
I think they did go after Super Mario Bros. X.  Seems to me they need to strike a careful balance between being protective and calling attention to things that they hope will just get swept under the rug.

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 05:25:57 pm »
You can include 4 to that list if you include Zelda Maker. I think it was DMCA'd in 2016 also.
One small step for man,

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 05:50:10 pm »
Well, a "triple threat" would imply exactly three.  AM2R, Pokemon Uranium, and No Mario's Sky, I'm guessing.  Super Mario Fusion shut down (I think they were just looking for an excuse more than anything), and Mother 4 announced that they would change the name, but neither received direct legal threats, or so I understand.
I think they did go after Super Mario Bros. X.  Seems to me they need to strike a careful balance between being protective and calling attention to things that they hope will just get swept under the rug.

Super Mario Fusion's 'shut down' is a complicated affair. Basically, they wanted to move to indie games, and had made plans to do so after Mario Fusion was completed. However with the fan game take downs, they then cancelled Mario Fusion in case something similar happened in future, before restarting work on it at a later time.

Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!