News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dropbox DMCA notices  (Read 1950 times)

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
Dropbox DMCA notices
« on: August 28, 2017, 09:08:36 pm »
So, I just got a DMCA notice on my .ips files. I don't keep roms, but i do keep my .ips files on dropbox for safety. It was a DBZ title for the Gameboy. Now they are all locked down. I'm hoping my old HD has it saved. Just FYI to others who have .ips or maybe other files on your dropbox. I guess they started doing it the last two three years hard.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
Re: Dropbox DMCA notices
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 11:56:50 pm »
Maybe a new common practice should be to change the ".ips" extension to ".deliciouscake" so they won't know any better?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 12:26:49 am »
Is your Dropbox available to the public? I use Dropbox to backup my documents, including hacking stuff, but it's private. To get a DMCA notice, a copyright holder has to see something available and file a notice to Dropbox, as they won't police people's files themselves (https://www.dropbox.com/terms#dmca).

I wouldn't use Dropbox for public things, better to use another service or buy your own webspace. But for storing your personal files, I don't think it's an issue - after all, companies need private cloud services too.

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 04:24:26 pm »
after freaking out like a dork, I realized I had put a dropbox link on this very forum for that DBZ translation and that's what they hit. RHDN is public, so the forum is viewable without an account. Still sucks, but probably not as "scary" as I originally thought.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 04:57:20 pm »
I read the legal stuff on Dropbox carefully. They make it clear that your Stuff (they actually refer to it as such in the legal notes) is your Stuff and they won't mess with it, but if you share copyrighted stuff then they may be forced to comply with DMCA and other such things. So yeah, if you want to put an IPS file on RHDN, maybe add it to the database? Or use the scratchpad? Or use one of the 100,000 disposable file locker sites out there? Or buy some webspace? Just don't share direct from your Dropbox, although I don't see how an IPS could get DMCAed anyway: that's why we use them after all! :huh:

Mari42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:39:56 pm »
I read the legal stuff on Dropbox carefully. They make it clear that your Stuff (they actually refer to it as such in the legal notes) is your Stuff and they won't mess with it, but if you share copyrighted stuff then they may be forced to comply with DMCA and other such things. So yeah, if you want to put an IPS file on RHDN, maybe add it to the database? Or use the scratchpad? Or use one of the 100,000 disposable file locker sites out there? Or buy some webspace? Just don't share direct from your Dropbox, although I don't see how an IPS could get DMCAed anyway: that's why we use them after all! :huh:

Because they found that it is a legal consequences for a IPS or xdelta since you were using the game engine without any authorization. I say this, because this is why the IPS or xdelta is founded DMCA according to Dropbox company.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 10:37:29 am »
Do they actually inform you if a complaint is filed against you or just close the account?

I had my account terminated suddenly with no notice.  Tried rattling off an email for details and only received a robo-response along the lines of we-care-get-back-to-you-later.