News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Kyonshiizu 2 NES Credits and Misc Text Help Request  (Read 2517 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Kyonshiizu 2 NES Credits and Misc Text Help Request
« on: August 25, 2017, 11:05:28 pm »
I'm finishing up with Kyonshiizu 2 which became an impromptu project when I dumped the script to assist with Translations of early Famicom games

I'd like some help with the credits if anyone is brave enough. It seems like one of those joke name situations, but since I hit the designer/designers and it's hard to make sense of.

Code: [Select]
プログラマ さだもん と がーふあんくる[BR]
Programmers: Sadamon and Garfunkel[BR]
      はかせ と その かよいづま[BR]
      The Professor and That Long Distance Spouse[BR]
デザイナー あべる あべれば あべるとき[BR]
Designer(s):
プランナー かある くらうざあ いのまた[BR]
Planner(s):
サッキョク だんじり だんじり くむくむ[BR]
Composer(s):
ガンバッタ みにもん ぼん おーちゃんず[BR]
Workers:
      くりながサナタール($30)マサユキ[BR]

だめいじでざいなあ かーさき[BR]

かきこみジユウな てっちゃん[BR]

べじたぶるどらんかあひろりん[BR]

しかけにんたちとうさぎちゃん[ED]

Addition 1 ===========================

There is an item in the game called "とくべつれいのふく".

The FAQ on GameFAQs calls this "Special Spirit Clothes". I haven't played the game much myself, but I assume it is indeed an outfit, and it appears to be necessary to travel to the spirit world via "れいかいもん" or "Spirit World Gate" (霊界門).

The FAQ writer seems to have taken the cue from "spirit world gate" for the "れい" in "とくべつれいのふく". I'd go for "Special Spirit Outfit" but still, this seems awkward.

There are other options for "rei" though I don't know that they make any more sense. Thoughts, ideas?

特別例の服
特別霊の服
特別礼の服
特別励の服
特別令の服
特別戻の服
特別隷の服
特別齢の服

Addition 2 ===========================

たまごだん

The aforementioned FAQ on GameFAQs calls this Egg Bullet (たまごだん) - Attack +1. Range: Projectile. Hold 99 max.

I assume this would be 卵弾, but again this sounds awkward. What's an egg bullet? What fires it? Maybe "Egg Projectile", "Egg Shot"? Thoughts, ideas?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:48:59 am by filler »

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
Re: Kyonshiizu 2 NES Credits and Misc Text Help Request
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 11:40:16 am »
I took a crack at the weird credits:

プログラマ さだもん と がーふあんくる

Programmers: Sadamon and Garfunkel
 (This one's fine.)

はかせ と その かよいづま

The Professor and His Long-Distance Wife

デザイナー あべる あべれば あべるとき

Designer(s): Fatty McFatfat

//あべる is apparently an alternate reading of 太る.

プランナー かある くらうざあ いのまた

Planner(s): Karl Klauser Inomata

サッキョク だんじり だんじり くむくむ

Composer(s): Danjiri Kum-Kum

//I think this name is a combination of Danjiri (from Danjiri Festivals) and Kum-Kum, the protagonist of a really old anime.

ガンバッタ みにもん ぼん おーちゃんず

Special Thanks: Minimon Bon Ochanzu

くりながサナタール($30)マサユキ

Masayuki "Thanatar" Kurinaga

//I think "Thanatar" is a reference to RuneQuest.

だめいじでざいなあ かーさき

Damage Designer Kasaki

かきこみジユウな てっちゃん

Scribblin' Tecchan

べじたぶるどらんかあひろりん

Vegetable Drinker Hirorin

しかけにんたちとうさぎちゃん[ED]
Bunny and the Gang

Edit:

As for the two item names, you're overthinking とくべつれいのふく. It's definitely 特別霊の服. I'd go all SaGa Frontier and translate it as "Spiritwear." ;)

たまごだん is a bit trickier. As a suffix, 弾 is pretty generic. It can mean "bullet," "bomb," "flare," or even "grenade." More importantly, though, chicken eggs are said to stun or harm Jiang Shi. I would just go with "Egg" or "Hen's Egg" in this case.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:02:18 pm by Eien Ni Hen »
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 02:30:32 pm »
Thanks! :D I love these credits now. I assume it's the case, but are you okay with my "licensing" your translations under Creative Commons for use in non-commercial and derivative work? I'm planning to release the translated script for others to use freely.

As for the two item names, you're overthinking とくべつれいのふく. It's definitely 特別霊の服. I'd go all SaGa Frontier and translate it as "Spiritwear." ;)

I like this. I'll probably go with this or something similar.

chicken eggs are said to stun or harm Jiang Shi. I would just go with "Egg" or "Hen's Egg" in this case.

This opens up a whole other can of worms which is the Chinese terms in this. I chose to translate Jiang Shi as "vampire". I think this makes sense for a localization, but there is the option to use more Chinese pronunciations for some things. I'll post some in an addition, or separate post.

On a different note, I'd like confirmation on the following:

おじいちゃんに あっていく?[ED]
Going to see Grandpa?[ED]

おじいちゃんに あっていってよ。[ED]
Go see Grandpa.[ED]

This seems to be "会っていく" (会って行く?) I take this as "go see/go meet".

Eien Ni Hen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 05:11:43 pm »
Quote from: filler
Thanks! :D I love these credits now. I assume it's the case, but are you okay with my "licensing" your translations under Creative Commons for use in non-commercial and derivative work? I'm planning to release the translated script for others to use freely.

Sure! I have no problem with that.

おじいちゃんに あっていく?[ED]

おじいちゃんに あっていってよ。[ED]
Go see Grandpa.[ED]

Both of these lines look fine to me.

As for the localization stuff, I'd use "Jiang Shi" instead of "vampire" for two reasons: 1) Jiang Shi are distinctly different from Western vampires, and 2) I think the game's based on a Hong Kong comedy-horror film. It's definitely a matter of personal preference, though, so I'll leave it up to you.  :laugh:
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 02:43:46 am »
Sure! I have no problem with that.

Sweet!

I'd go all SaGa Frontier and translate it as "Spiritwear." ;)

BTW: I'm going with "Exquisite Mystical Garb". My translations aren't as fun loving as yours. :P

As for the localization stuff, I'd use "Jiang Shi" instead of "vampire"

I'm thinking of leaving this up to whomever uses the script. So currently I'm planning to leave a localized, and where appropriate, Chinese reading.

Here's an example where this can use the Japanese, or Chinese reading of the 4 gods.
げんぶのごふ  
(Genbu/Xuan Wu) Amulet
びやっこのごふ 
(Byakko/Baihu) Amulet
せいりゅうのごふ
(Seiryuu/Qinglong) Amulet
すざくのごふ  
(Suzaku/Zhuque) Amulet

I'm a little less sure about stuff like weapons though.

Something like this せいりゅうとう I was calling "Chinese Sword", though I could provide the alternate "Qinglongdao", I think it would be confusing for people.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:56:17 am by filler »

Eien Ni Hen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
Hmm. As far as weapons/armor, I'd probably localize the names as much as possible. For example, you could translate せいりゅうとう as "Seiryuu/Qinglong Sword." Judging by the Chinese melee weapons section of Wikipedia, most Chinese weapons have some sort of English equivalent.  :)

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 07:36:05 pm »
Hmm. As far as weapons/armor, I'd probably localize the names as much as possible. For example, you could translate せいりゅうとう as "Seiryuu/Qinglong Sword." Judging by the Chinese melee weapons section of Wikipedia, most Chinese weapons have some sort of English equivalent.  :)

That page will be helpful. There is one weapon I'm having trouble finding information on, at least I assume it's a weapon. It comes between the katana, and the three-section-staff. It's called じょうびょう? There is also しりたたき which sounds like some kind of spanking paddle, though it may be a sword? EDIT: Note, I'm electing to transliterate any of these that I'm not sure about currently.

I'm debating about an ambiguous statement here which seems to have little context other than probably being shop dialog, may be a bank, or other shop.

だれも いないようです。[ED]
It's seems like no one's around.[ED]

れいのものは、いるかね?[ED]
?

わたしが、このぎんこうのとうどりです。[ED]
I am the president of this bank.[ED]

(EDIT: Actually I'm a little iffy on the line directly following: おかねを ごつごういたしましょう。[ED]
I will lend you money(?).[ED]
I think this is correct.)

I figure it may be 霊の者 or 霊の物. It uses "iru" though, so it kind of sounds like a person. Would you use this to say "Is Rei around?". Are they looking for mystical/spiritual items? Are they asking if a spirit or ghost it around (I'm leaning toward this)? Not entirely sure.

Addition 1 ==========

Any idea about this line? It seems to be random or shop NPC text.

ちょうど おとうさんの ほうじなの。[ED]

Addition 2 ==========

」は、200銭じゃよ。かうかね?[ED]
"is 200 zeni. You'll buy?[ED]

「へぶんすたー[ED]
 "Heaven star[ED]

「のろわーす[ED]
?

おや?おまえは、こどもじゃないか。[ED]
Huh? You're just a kid.[ED]

I assume "のろわーす" is something they sell at the same place as "Heaven Star" but I have no idea what it is.

EDIT: Note: This script will be done after these are addressed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:50:46 am by filler »

Eien Ni Hen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 01:46:50 pm »
Okay, let's tackle the items first.

じょうびょう is an alternate reading of じょうひょう(縄標), or "Rope Dart."

I would just translate しりたたき as "Paddle."

As for へぶんすたー and のろわーす, I think these are both cigarette brands. へぶんすたー is a play on セブンスター, but I have no clue what brand のろわーす is supposed to be. I'd transliterate it as "Norworth."

Onto the sentences:

れいのものは、いるかね?[ED]

I'm fairly sure that れいのもの is 霊の者 here. So a good translation would be, "Any spirits around?"

おかねを ごつごういたしましょう。[ED]

This is a fancy version of 金を都合しましょう, which means "I shall gather the money."
The only change I would suggest is to use "gather"/"provide you with" rather than "lend."

ちょうど おとうさんの ほうじなの。[ED]

This line is downright strange. It means, "Just in time for my late father's memorial service." Apparently it's triggered when you give someone hoshigaki (dried persimmons). I found some gamer bitching about it on their blog.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 10:02:29 pm »
Thanks! This should be in decent shape now.

This line is downright strange. It means, "Just in time for my late father's memorial service." Apparently it's triggered when you give someone hoshigaki (dried persimmons). I found some gamer bitching about it on their blog.

Hrmm, this is interesting. There's no persimmon item, but there is "ほしがし". The FAQ writer called this a "pastry" and probably taking a cue from them, I translated it as "星菓子/Star Cake". However, if this were some other odd reading of "干し柿/ほしがき", perhaps this is dried persimmon?

Addition 1 ===============

I consider these low priorities, but to get some more eyes on them, here are the other things I've transliterated. I'm planning to keep them transliterated but I'm open to suggestions for translations.

These are bottles of liquor. I've identified translations for some, but not for others.

きょんしーまさむ
(Vampire/Jiang Shi) Masamune
こうが     
Kouga
きたはかば   
Kitahakaba (Northern Cemetery?)
ようすこう   
(Yousukou/Yangtze River)

Below are the special attacks. These are all transliterated.

「しょうほう」をおぼえた。[ED]
 "Shouhou" was learned.[ED]

「さいこ」をおぼえた。[ED]
 "Saiko" was learned.[ED]

「ちょうき」をおぼえた。[ED]
 "Chouki" was learned.[ED]

「ふくりゅう」をおぼえた。[ED]
 "Fukuryuu" was learned.[ED]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:55:36 am by filler »

Eien Ni Hen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 07:14:45 pm »
Hrmm, this is interesting. There's no persimmon item, but there is "ほしがし". The FAQ writer called this a "pastry" and probably taking a cue from them, I translated it as "星菓子/Star Cake". However, if this were some other odd reading of "干し柿/ほしがき", perhaps this is dried persimmon?

Oops, I see what happened. The website I referenced incorrectly listed the item as 干し柿. After a bit of research, I found that ほしがし is 干し菓子, more commonly known as 干菓子 ("dry sweets"). My guess is the boy is planning to use the 干菓子 as an offering at the memorial service.

こうが is probably 黄河 (Yellow River/Huang He River).
きたはかば seems to be a play on 北酒場 (きたさかば), a famous Enka song. I would just transliterate it.

I would also leave the special attacks as transliterated. I can't make heads or tails of what they're supposed to be.  :(

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 11:13:55 pm »
Oops, I see what happened. The website I referenced incorrectly listed the item as 干し柿. After a bit of research, I found that ほしがし is 干し菓子, more commonly known as 干菓子 ("dry sweets"). My guess is the boy is planning to use the 干菓子 as an offering at the memorial service.

There's never a dull moment translating this stuff. ::)

It seems like the term is a general one for sweets made with gelatin, and perhaps other methods like drying/sulfuring fruits. I'm not sure that this excludes baked goods like biscuits/cookies. I found this translated very generally as: "桜茶と干し菓子 Cherry Tea and Japanese Confectionaries"

I'm considering calling it "preserved sweets" however. I feel like dried sweets seems too vague in English, while "preserves/preserved fruit" and preserved foods in general call up a clearer image. I'm hesitant to call it preserved fruit because it seems like a broader term than that, but not so broad as wagashi. I was considering calling it snacks but おかし/お菓子 is another item in the game. :D

こうが is probably 黄河 (Yellow River/Huang He River).
きたはかば seems to be a play on 北酒場 (きたさかば), a famous Enka song. I would just transliterate it.

I would also leave the special attacks as transliterated. I can't make heads or tails of what they're supposed to be.  :(

Thanks! It's a relief to have this stuff vetted. Now to make and post the script package!

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 12:32:21 pm »

おじいちゃんに あっていく?[ED]

おじいちゃんに あっていってよ。[ED]
Go see Grandpa.[ED]

This seems to be "会っていく" (会って行く?) I take this as "go see/go meet".

The lines work as you interpreted them, but they're missing a little bit of nuance. 会って行く means "To meet and then go", so the first line should be more like "Are you going to see Grandpa first?" or "Are you going to see Grandpa before you go/leave?". The second line would be "See Grandpa before you go". A plain "go see" would be 会いに行く.

HTH
Sign THIS!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 10:06:18 am »
げんぶのごふ  
(Genbu/Xuan Wu) Amulet
びやっこのごふ 
(Byakko/Baihu) Amulet
せいりゅうのごふ
(Seiryuu/Qinglong) Amulet
すざくのごふ  
(Suzaku/Zhuque) Amulet

Alternatively:

-Tortoise Amulet, White Tiger Amulet, Azure Dragon Amulet and Phoenix Amulet.

Since those would make more sense to an English speaking audience. Also, I'd call them "Chinese vampires" if you're going to steer clear of "Jiangshi".

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 10:30:05 am »
Also, I'd call them "Chinese vampires" if you're going to steer clear of "Jiangshi".

Given the precious lack of space in the game I'd just go with "vampires"... :)