News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Little Nemo Dream Master - A Wonderful Wand Edition  (Read 2103 times)

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
Little Nemo Dream Master - A Wonderful Wand Edition
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:13:14 pm »
Hi Everyone!

I've been working hard at my new hack for the past several weeks now and I feel like this is a good time to share it with everyone! It's a hack of Little Nemo for the NES. I called it "A Wonderful Wand Edition", which is a reference to what they called the 'Morning Star' weapon in its original comic/book I believe.

The main point of the hack should be obvious by the title: a more focused usage of the WAND weapon. The reason is the fact that the WAND weapon was introduced very late into the game and was also very underused. In stage 8, when you are given the WAND, you are under the impression that you'll be using the WAND weapon quite a bit for the enemies. Instead, the game continued to throw obstacles at you in which you are required to continue using animals to overcome, further reducing the usage of the WAND to merely at the bosses. This hack attempts to fix this by giving the user access to the WAND from the beginning, and also reworked the levels to utilize it much more than before.

Besides the addition of the early WAND activation, the hack also attempts to streamline the levels to give the player a better experience. In the original game, many levels had overly tedious keys fetching quests. Stage 5 was the biggest offender as there are no checkpoints, and each time you die, you were sent all the way back to the beginning, and need to go through the entire basement area just to get the Bumblebee again. Other confusing aspects of the game has also been eliminated/changed such as confusing layouts and strange platform/item placements. Several levels has also been streamlined to play like an action platformer without the key fetch quests. I've also expanded MANY empty/unused areas of the game to give each level a more 'full' experience.

Each level's difficulty has now been adjusted and is now incremented fairly. I've made the levels more about challenge of platforming/attacking skills instead of cheap hits and/or deaths. There are many bonuses/secrets in the game that will require advance skills in the game, and challenges will be pushed to the maximum in Nightmare Land.

Ok enough talk! Let's see some screenshots:

I've got several stages completed and very much thanks to spiiin for the amazing CadEditor and Objects List! :)
I'll continue hacking away at this hack and update this topic periodically with updates.

Any comments and/or suggestions are welcomed!  :thumbsup:

Cheers!!  :beer:

8-bit fan

Update 9/8/2017:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:33:42 pm by 8.bit.fan »
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Little Nemo Dream Master - A Wonderful Wand Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 11:18:52 pm »
Good idea. I think this game is an underrated classic so it's nice to see someone do something with it.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:15:43 am »
I'm going to do this: wait for your hack to be finished, play it through first, and then give the original game a proper chance. I've never even beaten the first level, the key fetching always felt weird to me.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 02:13:28 pm »
Good idea. I think this game is an underrated classic so it's nice to see someone do something with it.
Thanks SunGodPortal! :)
I'm giving this one everything I got so hope it turns out well! :)
Feel free to give any inputs or suggestions! :thumbsup:

I'm going to do this: wait for your hack to be finished, play it through first, and then give the original game a proper chance. I've never even beaten the first level, the key fetching always felt weird to me.
Hey nesrocks!
Hope you're doing well my friend! :)
Ok cool, I've been giving a lot of time to this hack so it shouldn't be too long before its ready for release. Keep in mind though, I removed the key fetching for 'most' of the game, I actually kept that aspect for the 1st level as a 'homage' to the original game. Plus I think the 1st level has a great 'sandbox' feel to it so it's not annoying like the other levels with the key fetching.

Btw, I was playing Pitfall Anniversary the other day and realized that you removed ducking. Was there a specific reason for that?

Cheers! :) :beer:

8-bit fan

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 02:28:12 pm »
This looks like it will be a blast to play.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 03:37:25 pm »
Keep in mind though, I removed the key fetching for 'most' of the game, I actually kept that aspect for the 1st level as a 'homage' to the original game.
I imagined as much, but knowing that you're giving the game your judgement makes me feel safer to invest more time into trying it out.

Btw, I was playing Pitfall Anniversary the other day and realized that you removed ducking. Was there a specific reason for that?
Ducking never did anything useful, it only served to make you think you could duck and shoot, and it was also the main problem that caused the controls to get stuck. There wasn't much rom space left for new code, or time available (I had a schedule for the 30th) to add the shooting while down option, so I just removed ducking altogether.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:05:24 pm by nesrocks »

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 05:49:56 pm »
This looks like it will be a blast to play.
Hi KirkyMonster and thanks for the kind words! :)
I'm trying to make it as enjoyable to the player as possible so hope you'll like the game when it's ready! :)

I imagined as much, but knowing that you're giving the game your judgement makes me feel safer to invest more time into trying it out.
Ducking never did anything useful, it only served to make you think you could duck and shoot, and it was also the main problem that caused the controls to get stuck. There wasn't much rom space left for new code, or time available (I had a schedule for the 30th) to add the shooting while down option, so I just removed ducking altogether.
Thanks nesrocks! :)
I'm doing my best to make sure it's fun as well as staying somewhat true to the original...it's a hard balance! ;)

Ahhh...gotcha. The reason I asked is because more than one occasion I tried to duck under the birds that fly over your head in order to avoid them...just my natural gaming reaction to platformers. ;) Will you eventually be updating it to include a duck'n'shoot function? Or are you busy with other projects atm?

Cheers! :beer:

8-bit fan

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 04:15:58 pm »
This looks great! I hope you're able to achieve everything you want to accomplish.

I would definitely play this version of the game. I like the idea of using the wand more, and the original was too hard for me  :-[

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 05:07:03 am »
This looks great! I hope you're able to achieve everything you want to accomplish.

I would definitely play this version of the game. I like the idea of using the wand more, and the original was too hard for me  :-[
Hi njosro and thanks for your kind comments! :)
Hope you'll enjoy the game once it's finished! However, keep in mind that while I have streamlined the game and generally made the gameplay easier and smoother, I've seriously amped up the difficulty and challenge for the last 3 levels in Nightmare Land. :)

Cheers!  :beer:

8-bit fan

spiiin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 12:55:04 pm »
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=17150.msg343007#msg343007

I added support of Little Nemo for you. There are some limitations for editing (impossible to change scrolling directions and adding more enemies than was in original level), but I hope there will be a good hack.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 02:06:39 pm »
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=17150.msg343007#msg343007

I added support of Little Nemo for you. There are some limitations for editing (impossible to change scrolling directions and adding more enemies than was in original level), but I hope there will be a good hack.
Hi spiiin! :)
This is amazing and thanks so much for updating it for Little Nemo!! :D
Your Object List was so helpful that I actually got pretty far into my hack already, but this certainly helps as I go back and re-check and refine my work! :)

This is wonderful and I'll try and find a location in the hack to give you credit as well!  :thumbsup: (most likely the title screen or the ending depending on text spaces)

I can't wait to check out this new version! :)

Cheers!!  :beer:

8-bit fan

ps. I have replied to your other topic as well ;)

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 01:52:11 am »
Hi everyone!
Time for an update with lots of new screens! :)

The hack is very close to finish. I should be able to release it sometime next week!

Stay tuned! :thumbsup:

8-bit fan
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:32:43 pm by 8.bit.fan »

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 08:16:42 am »
Looks & sounds promising!

Will you include the cigar restoration by SCD?

"This hack restores the missing cigars back to Flip and the gorilla, they were taken out of the American version because of Nintendo of America’s guidelines."
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3536/

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 09:53:12 pm »
I'm looking forward to playing this, it looks really good.

Are you planning on disabling the cut scene where you meet the princess and she gives you the wand? I'm only asking since you have the wand in the beginning. :D
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 02:13:02 am »
Looks & sounds promising!

Will you include the cigar restoration by SCD?

"This hack restores the missing cigars back to Flip and the gorilla, they were taken out of the American version because of Nintendo of America’s guidelines."
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3536/
Thanks so much maseter! I appreciate that! :)
That's a great idea! Sounds good, I'll incorporate the restoration graphics to this hack as well!  :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to playing this, it looks really good.

Are you planning on disabling the cut scene where you meet the princess and she gives you the wand? I'm only asking since you have the wand in the beginning. :D
Hey Googie and thanks so much for your kind words! :)
Good thinking! I've actually kept the cut scenes in tact in the game but I've made some changes to the texts to the story so that even this particular cut scene would actually make sense as you have the Wand from the beginning. ;)

Thanks everyone and stay tuned! :)

Cheers!! :beer:

8-bit fan

para

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 02:07:08 am »
This looks absolutely amazing!

Little Nemo is an great game overall, but you managed to pinpoint and hopefully fix exactly what was slightly holding back an otherwise very fun experience.

I look forward to this being completed.  Everything about it seems very well thought out and polished.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 02:18:19 pm »
This looks absolutely amazing!

Little Nemo is an great game overall, but you managed to pinpoint and hopefully fix exactly what was slightly holding back an otherwise very fun experience.

I look forward to this being completed.  Everything about it seems very well thought out and polished.
Hi para and thanks for the kind comments! :)
Hope you'll enjoy the hack once it's released! Yes, I'm trying my best to polish the hack/game as the original had so much potential. It's as if the game had a great engine, but the level designers either ran out of time or failed to use it to its maximum potential.

Keep in mind, though, I've made this hack very focused on Nemo and the Wand...animals riding usage has been greatly reduced.

8-bit fan

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 03:13:22 pm »
Keep in mind, though, I've made this hack very focused on Nemo and the Wand...animals riding usage has been greatly reduced.

Superb!

Anxious to play this game again,
and more anxious to re-experience it on this awesome hack work.

Thanks, 8.bit.fan!
C.

September 11, 2017, 03:16:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
In time, a question:

Are you maintaining a average difficulty on the new level design?
Or are you seeking to deliver those hacks with insanely hard gameplay?

I really really hope for a standard compatible to the original difficulty.
 8) 8) 8)

Thanks!
C.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 03:30:12 pm »
Superb!

Anxious to play this game again,
and more anxious to re-experience it on this awesome hack work.

Thanks, 8.bit.fan!
C.

September 11, 2017, 03:16:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hi cospefogo and thanks for the kind comments! :)
I'm currently at the 'QA' stage of the hack and hope to release it very soon! Hope you'll enjoy it!!  :thumbsup:

In time, a question:

Are you maintaining a average difficulty on the new level design?
Or are you seeking to deliver those hacks with insanely hard gameplay?

I really really hope for a standard compatible to the original difficulty.
 8) 8) 8)

Thanks!
C.
Glad you asked! :)
I'm trying my very best to keep the game in the same difficulty or even slightly easier in the early stages, and then incrementally increase the difficulty slightly as you progress the stages. So, definitely not like the 'hacks with insanely hard gameplay'! ;) I'm also giving the user a default of 4 health as I thought the original's difficulty felt a bit cheap with the deaths...so that should help also! Keep in mind, though, I've ramped up the difficulty starting in stage 7, and have pushed the difficulty to the max in stage 8...it is 'Nightmare Land' after all. ;) But in the early stages, the game should 'feel' easier. :)

Also, I've added many bonus areas that require 'advanced skills' to reach, so those should be fun for veterans. Those areas are not required to pass on each level.

Hope this is what you'd like to hear! :thumbsup:
Any other suggestions and comments are welcomed!

8-bit fan

para

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 01:03:21 am »
Hi para and thanks for the kind comments! :)
Hope you'll enjoy the hack once it's released! Yes, I'm trying my best to polish the hack/game as the original had so much potential. It's as if the game had a great engine, but the level designers either ran out of time or failed to use it to its maximum potential.

8-bit fan

I completely agree.  The potential is sky high with this game.

Also if the animals are being downplayed in this version, perhaps in the future we could work on another version which heavily favours the usage and is designed with them more in mind.  While the animals are definitely a main feature of the original game, and a lot of parts are specifically tailored to them, some parts feel kinda forced or mundane, or you barely get to use the animal, etc.

I particularly enjoyed the Bee platforming levels and mechanics, but also kinda wished the Gorilla and Mole sections were more interesting and lasted longer.

I'm getting ahead of myself and am still really looking forward to your version being released but it was just food for thought. :)