News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Extracting GBA Famicom or NES games  (Read 835 times)

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
Extracting GBA Famicom or NES games
« on: August 18, 2017, 05:39:54 pm »
Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it

Is there any way to extract NES or Famicom rom from the GBA rom so that they work on an NES with an everdrive cart?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Extracting GBA Famicom or NES games
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 08:15:20 am »
Depends upon the nature of the port/emulation.

Some of the games used a copy of pocketnes (edit forgot to include the link to a list of them http://www.gutenberg.us/articles/pocketnes ) and thus might be open to some of this, some other NES throwbacks were closer to actual ports. Not sure what goes for the classic nes/famicom mini series (things not without their own quirks https://mgba.io/2014/12/28/classic-nes/ ) but I have not seen anything for injecting things and that is a popular thing to do on most other post N64 systems.

Is there some reason you want to do this? I never heard of any of the games having a fix all that worth mentioning (to say nothing of the mods to deal with the GBA resolution) and I am not sure any NES games got official translations when they were ported to the GBA.

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 08:31:49 am »
Zelda II was never released on a famicom cart only fds. I would like to change that, would be easier to extract the gba rom than translating the NES rom.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 11:51:58 am »
Is there some reason you want to do this? I never heard of any of the games having a fix all that worth mentioning (to say nothing of the mods to deal with the GBA resolution) and I am not sure any NES games got official translations when they were ported to the GBA.

I second that, is there a good reason for this? I know that Virtual Console releases are already in the GoodNES set, and I don't see any logical reason for wanting to rip from the GBA games.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 04:17:09 pm »
Similar questions have indeed been asked before.
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23526.0
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 03:09:35 am »
Is there some reason you want to do this? I never heard of any of the games having a fix all that worth mentioning...

Most of the games had flashes and flickering toned way down, which might be nice for people who do suffer from seizures, and Legend of Zelda had its text cleaned up. Some games had it added to actually say "PAUSE" when the game is paused.

But even if you could extract the ROMs from the NES/Famicom Classics line, most of them have redone graphics, and would look terrible on a real NES. Most of the games, you can get similar ROMs from Gamecube/VC, in the No-Intro sets, without the squished graphics.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 10:28:15 pm »
Famicom Mini Zelda II should be an emulation of the FDS version of Zelda II, so I don't think it's what you are looking for.

I own the Famicom Mini Metroid and it is indeed the FDS version (including the save feature and extra sound channel), not the NES version (unlike Zero Mission which used the NES ROM even in the Japanese release).
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 12:24:49 am »
Is there a Japanese non fds version on the Wii VC? If anybody has something like this please message me thanks

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 12:36:26 pm »
Probably not either. I think Nintendo's VC releases of FDS games have been based on FDS emulation. (though emulation modified to automate disk swaps and possibly fast load time)
(in the opposite direction, Zelda 1 had been based on the cartridge version, until the Famicom Classic Mini console which was the first release of the FDS version)

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 08:59:12 pm »
Depends upon the nature of the port/emulation.

Some of the games used a copy of pocketnes (edit forgot to include the link to a list of them http://www.gutenberg.us/articles/pocketnes ) and thus might be open to some of this, some other NES throwbacks were closer to actual ports. Not sure what goes for the classic nes/famicom mini series (things not without their own quirks https://mgba.io/2014/12/28/classic-nes/ ) but I have not seen anything for injecting things and that is a popular thing to do on most other post N64 systems.

That reminds me, can Nintendo's own line of emulated GBA NES ports be documented? This is probably something that never gets talked in the romhacking/emulation community.

You never actually see how the emulation works in NES to GBA ports, you know, like how the music compares to the source, how the colors look compared to the NES colors, why the resolution looks so weird, or why oh why does it look so streched out.

The only hacks I've seen done for the Classic NES Series/Famicom Mini GBA series was a translation for a Super Robot Taisen game, and the famous Easy Ring from Mato's Mother 1 (from Mother 1+2) translation.

Is like the Classic NES Series/Famicom Mini GBA series of games are the black sheep in the world of romhacking. That's why you don't see a lot of documentation from those games.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 09:30:43 pm »
I don't think Mother 1 was emulation, I think they actually ported it.

I recall one of things they could do was to color individual character's stats in battle when they were affected by things like fainting. Since the GBA version using single-space text, that would not be technically doable on NES (or NES emulation) which can only change palettes on 2x2 tile blocks. Not sure if there's anything else the GBA port did that wouldn't be technically possible on NES (since the point was to keep the FEEL of an NES game).

Also, Mother 2 would also have to have been ported from scratch because from what I heard, SNES emulation on GBA wasn't even technically feasible, certainly not to a degree acceptable for a commercial game. (worse problems than just bad music?)

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 06:43:38 am »

That reminds me, can Nintendo's own line of emulated GBA NES ports be documented? This is probably something that never gets talked in the romhacking/emulation community.

You never actually see how the emulation works in NES to GBA ports, you know, like how the music compares to the source, how the colors look compared to the NES colors, why the resolution looks so weird, or why oh why does it look so streched out.

The only hacks I've seen done for the Classic NES Series/Famicom Mini GBA series was a translation for a Super Robot Taisen game, and the famous Easy Ring from Mato's Mother 1 (from Mother 1+2) translation.

Is like the Classic NES Series/Famicom Mini GBA series of games are the black sheep in the world of romhacking. That's why you don't see a lot of documentation from those games.

A few people did delve into them, I recall a few threads on the now sadly defunct pocketheaven forums. For the most part though people write them off -- nowadays emulation can be done just fine on most things, and even back then the likes of pocketnes and HVCA offered superior experiences by most accounts. Also a few people did hack NES games to work better with said emulators, a site called GBAfan used to house them.

The reason they look stretched or odd tends to be because the GBA resolution was lower http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#gbatechnicaldata ("Display 240x160 pixels (2.9 inch TFT color LCD display)" than the NES ( http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Overscan 256x240, give or take a few other things). The GBA was not quite potent enough to do proper scaling on top of emulation so you either crop/letterbox or do something called a tile crop where you lose pixels from each tile (many of those hacks I mentioned were to redo fonts to work with tile cropping, indeed one of my very first brushes with hacking proper was to do Final Fantasy 3 translation font to work with it). Edit managed to smack wayback machine into spitting up a copy https://web.archive.org/web/20061101111343/http://gbafan.com:80/rom_hacks.html

In the case of a port/emulation most hackers seek to work on the best version of a game, and failing anything interesting happening there the original one is the one which is picked. The GBA ports of various Final Fantasy titles are probably the only real exception to this.

Pull them apart if you want (though I reckon that protection stuff I linked earlier might get in the way a bit) but again without the incentive of a good fix you can't otherwise easily replicate, an official translation where there might not have been one before, or been a weaker one, or possibly be a good candidate to inject other ROMs into (N64 emulation on the GC was a fair technical feat, hence the desire to inject other games into those but again on the GBA we saw pocketnes and HVCA, then it seems like the sort of effort that is better spent elsewhere.