News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [SMS] Golvellius - Sram save hack  (Read 895 times)

ichigobankai

• View Profile
[SMS] Golvellius - Sram save hack
« on: August 18, 2017, 06:46:33 am »
After Wonder Boy 3, Golvellius ;)

- Auto save in password house

- When you enter a password (with the password menu) you start at the beginning of the Valley

- With a save you start WHERE you've taken the password

- GAME OVER screen give no more password (in the original game give only a password when start with "new game")

- I've slightly modified the game, only 4 enemy / screen (instead of 6), to be a little bit easier. (you can edit number, adr $3129)

Choose "last game continue" to load the save.
If no save already present in sram, start like "new game".

Two versions of the patch, with and without the bug fix
(http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/Golvellius-SMS-Bugfix)

IPS patch :
- WITH the bugfix : https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4wxjvei02b5ctd/golvellius_sram_hack-bugfix.ips?dl=0
- WITHOUT bugfix : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex0nkejyolp10nk/golvellius_sram_hack.ips?dl=0

Checksum already corrected to work properly on us/euro consoles.

Regards,
Ichigo
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:55:28 am by ichigobankai »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: [SMS] Golvellius - Sram save hack
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 03:58:35 pm »
I hope you don't mind my asking, but what is the purpose of replacing passwords with SRAM? Every emulator does save states, so the only reason I can imagine is Everdrives. But I thought they had save states too, no? Or maybe not all of them do.

Sorry, I just don't quite get it. :)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:27:02 pm »
Can you also fix the wrong map piece? http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/sms/golvellius/extras.shtml

"Flaw in Crawky Map. Someone must have been a little tired while creating the maps. Take a look at the middle of Crawky Forest in the Maps section. The picture at the right shows a closeup of one screen area that was drawn in the wrong place. It looks like the farthest NE corner of Crawky Forest was used twice (once in the NE and once in the middle). You can see how the river stops and starts again past this square. The trees are cut in a perfect line and the mountains end in a perfect line as well. The Japanese version of the game contains the correct map piece in this section."

Also, this is personal opinion, but I think the sms version would greatly benefit from more open paths instead of so many dead ends and walk arounds. So much time is wasted walking.

All in all, I think the biggest problem with the game is that every single hole looks the same and that becomes a problem when you're looking for that hole that contains a crystal when you defeated a boss. There's no way anyone can remember which one it was, so at the end of the game it becomes a guessing game or you need to systematically go through every hole in the game to make sure you get all crystals. So, I would mark each crystal hole with a different graphic on the overworld, or ideally mark every hole with content identifiers (old lady, fairy, dungeon, crystal, health refill, etc).

edit: oh, the bugfix is the misplaced map piece?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:40:11 pm by nesrocks »

ichigobankai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 05:35:39 pm »
@Psyklax :
Not really for playing with an emulator, but with a cartridge on the real hardware (master everdrive or repro pcb).

@nesrocks
yes, the "Bug fix" change some bytes in the code (to avoid a glitch and a duplicated area on the map)

As explained in the smspower link :

This patch fixes a duplicated room in Golvellius - Valley of Doom (UE). One room design was presumably inadvertently used in two locations.
This patch restores what is believed to be the intended room.
This patch also fixes corrupted graphics on an other room's cave.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:55:07 pm by ichigobankai »