News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tecmo Secret of the Stars. :< -> :>?  (Read 12637 times)

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Re: Tecmo Secret of the Stars. :< -> :>?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 06:03:20 pm »
First up big thanks for this nice release!

I can't promise to do a full betatest, but I am excited to try this out soon. I will leave some feedback after I played a little bit. If it's fun I will play it from start to end :)

MrBing

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 06:18:23 pm »
What the game really needs is a graphics hack, maybe even a rewrite. One of the worst scripts I've ever seen in an RPG. You may not be aware that this game was originally designed for the NES, but the NES ran out of steam just as it was nearing release, so it was ported over. I stopped playing the game back in the day because the graphics were just so terrible. However it would be a major deal to try to rewrite the game to make use of the entire SNES VRAM, which is why I don't see the point in this hack at all.

I appreciate that this is probably one of the first RPGs you've played and that you have affection for it, but isn't that the only reason you want to do this? The reality is that SotS was one of the most mediocre RPGs ever made. 3 out of 4 RPGMaker titles are just as good if not better. It's like you're trying to recondition a 19th century warship for service in the 21st century... to pull it off, you literally have to replace the whole thing. There are much better games out there to hack, even if you've not heard of them.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 06:30:12 pm »
Cool, good to see the progress on this project.  Any time an SNES RPG gets modified that opens up the door for more possible projects.  :)

What the game really needs is a graphics hack, maybe even a rewrite. One of the worst scripts I've ever seen in an RPG. You may not be aware that this game was originally designed for the NES, but the NES ran out of steam just as it was nearing release, so it was ported over. I stopped playing the game back in the day because the graphics were just so terrible. However it would be a major deal to try to rewrite the game to make use of the entire SNES VRAM, which is why I don't see the point in this hack at all.

I appreciate that this is probably one of the first RPGs you've played and that you have affection for it, but isn't that the only reason you want to do this? The reality is that SotS was one of the most mediocre RPGs ever made. 3 out of 4 RPGMaker titles are just as good if not better. It's like you're trying to recondition a 19th century warship for service in the 21st century... to pull it off, you literally have to replace the whole thing. There are much better games out there to hack, even if you've not heard of them.

Seriously?  The only reason you came in here was to hurl insults?  Who cares what game(s) people choose to modify or not?  Unless you have the data documentation or skills to "rewrite" the game's graphic/engine yourself and or contribute I wouldn't really go around insulting the author and their project.  If you didn't like the project or the point of the project then just ignore it and move on?  You are in the minority.  Just a thought.   :thumbsup:

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 09:01:02 pm »
A game can be good without the best graphics... Final Fantasy IV is still considered to be one of the best Final Fantasys and was remade uncountable times. It also was one of the first Super Famicom RPGs and on top of that probably originally developed for NES, just like this game.

He rebalanced the game and added new features to get the full potential the game had. Additionally you didn't read the thread really well, he also rewrote the script to connect the story properly.

I simply can't see the point why somebody should hate on this, but I probably just got trolled right here.

MrBing

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 09:35:54 pm »
Not trolling. It's just the simple fact that SotS was the weakest SNES RPG ever produced. It's the only RPG on the SNES that I can say with confidence that I will probably never finish. I got bored out of my mind from it 18 years ago, and tried again 10 years ago and no change. I'd sooner play Dragon Warrior again than this game. It's the very essence of what you should never do when making an RPG. For the record, even Nintendo Power panned this game, calling it "mediocre". But you could tell they were pulling their punches.

A rewrite of the script does nothing. It's still a game of going through killing stock bad guys on the way to the Big Bad. But even among Big Bads, this game's disappoints. No motive, no plot... I mean you might as well be playing Doom.

On the graphics, FFIV had small graphics, but they were detailed and creative. There is zero creativity in this game's very undetailed, tile-gridded graphics, because again, this game was planned for the NES. (and even for that system, the designs are mediocre). The game was made by Tecmo, who we all remember more for their football games than anything else, and was the only RPG they ever made.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:50:47 pm by MrBing »

pkt_paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 01:06:54 pm »
I should clarify some things.

This isn't the first RPG that I've played. In fact, I played through it for the first time fairly recently and forced myself to finish it in spite of the terrible flaws it had. I thought to myself, "If only _________, this wouldn't be a terrible game." In fact, it was features of other RPGs (e.g., Earthbound, Dragon Warrior) from which I drew my influence.

I recognize that I don't possess the skills to make it a fundamentally better game, but I wanted to improve it for people who are fans of retro gaming and of the classic format and style of RPGs to make the game play experience more enjoyable. Hence, I rewrote the script and attempted some moderate rebalancing. If these changes are not enough to convince you to play the game, I don't take it personally, nor do I think that takes away from my enjoyment in the creative outlet that hacking the game was for me.

-PKT

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »
A game can be good without the best graphics... Final Fantasy IV is still considered to be one of the best Final Fantasys and was remade uncountable times. It also was one of the first Super Famicom RPGs and on top of that probably originally developed for NES, just like this game.
That's something that could be debated (in another topic). :P
Lots of rumors going on with that one.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jarlaxle

• View Profile
    • My Twitch Channel
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 11:54:17 pm »
Cheers for the effort, pkt_paladin. I actually loved the challenge that Secret of the Stars provided, since it didn't baby you with a multitude of enemies which can be killed in one-hit or a whole group with a little spell (I'm looking in your direction, Lufia!). I couldn't care less about the negative reviews this game got; I quite enjoyed it! I wouldn't mind making a slightly harder version of this game, at least when it comes to boss battles. Regular enemies wouldn't need much tweaking, but I can't get enough of enhanced challenges for games I've mastered in the past. I'm currently working on a Hard Mode for Lufia thanks to JCE3000GT's editor, and considering you've found all the relevant data I might look at making a Hard Mode for this game too; since it wouldn't take as much effort since the challenge is pretty good already. Obviously it would be for RPG-veterans only. >_> I'm sure your work would appeal to much more people, but this could be an optional trial by fire. ;)

Here's a copy of some lengthy hints and tips I wrote for the original version of this game a while back: (Part 1)

Secret of the Stars---Hints and Tips:

1---] Starting the game, the first thing you want to do is begin searching through all the drawers/pots in your house where you will acquire an Antidote, 50 Gold and a Plum Plum (healing item),  and then talk to Ray’s mother. Next you should head outside and talk to the farmer with a hat two times to receive as many Plum Plums. Interestingly enough if you talk to the man before taking any of the items in your house you can get three Plum Plums from him, however the 50 Gold normally found inside your house in a pot magically disappears. Bastards.

2---] Note that you can rest for free in any open/unblocked bed, such as the one at your house or in the nearby town which will recover all of your HP. Later, once you gain the ability to use magic and thus MP, aside from the bed in Ray’s house every other bed will only restore HP. To recover MP you either need to visit an Inn or a Star Shrine (which you’ll learn about and understand later in the game).

3---] When you get to the world map for the first time, make things slightly easier on yourself and go to the nearby town rather than trying to engage in any battles. Locate the armour shop and purchase a ‘NomalHat’ (Normal Hat). Now go back to the world map and fight battles until you reach level 3. It won’t take very long at all (although your slow progress hinders this a bit; try and battle in forests for quicker encounters) and more importantly you’ll gain money in the process. Just be sure to return to your house or one of the open beds in the town of Likado (whichever is closer) once you sustain a few injuries. If you come across a pair of Pig Man foes right off the bat, it will be a close call but you should be able to beat them and gain an instant level-up.

4---] In the town of Likado you can also find a further 50 Gold and an Anti-Stop item; keep this in mind as you next try to aim to possess the 120 Gold necessary to purchase the strongest sword at the point, in the form of a ‘ShrtSwrd’/Short Sword. You should easily have enough by the time you reach level 3. Remember that you can sell your knife for 15 Gold, so you really only need 105 Gold extra.

5---] The foes you come across in battle at the start of the game and their respective possible item-drops are as follows: Bad Slime (Antidote), Hedgehog (NomalHat), Pig Man (Knife), Red Slime (Plum Plum) and Slime (Plum Plum). The drop rates are relatively low, but if you happen to score an extra NomalHat or Knife you can sell them to speed you on your way to having enough funds to acquire a HardSuit (320 Gold; tough against poison) which will serve you well against some later enemies during the first several hours of the game.

6---] Once you have reached level 3 you should then thoroughly explore the town of Likado and engage in your first (mocking) Boss Battle against CatBoo; which might even drop another Plum Plum. You’ll easily best the little beast, but by then you’ll still be far from the funds required to purchase a HardSuit; so when you are ready and have met David (the first Kustera party member), travel to the northern caves (the set of mountains on the left) and fight a few battles near the entrance until you reach level 4. Early on in an RPG is always the time where such things are a ‘necessary Grind’. You should then progress through the small cave until you become ‘Pennon’, so you gain the magic ability ‘Heal’ which will save you trips back to town for healing.

7---] Keep in mind that you should make sure to save one of your Plum Plums rather than using them all or selling them. Later in the game you can sell one in an ‘antique’ shop for 500 Gold (as opposed to the usual 4 Gold); quite the tasty bonus for hanging onto one!

8---] Travel to Jeep Volcano and fight battles near the entrance until you finally have enough money to purchase a HardSuit for Ray, remembering that you can sell his ‘ClthSuit’ for 40 Gold. Keep in mind that a ‘Bad Slime’ is a priority kill in battle since it can Poison you. Some new encounters in the Jeep Volcano also include: Bat (ClothRobe), Quill (Plum Plum), Stun Rat (Dagger). Return to town when you need free healing otherwise use your limited MP, and when you run out return to the Crest Shrine or the bed at Ray’s house (any other bed only recovers HP) to top it up once you are done leveling up and have purchased a HardSuit.

9---] Now, when you get your second character in the game (Tina) you won’t be able to buy some of the better equipment available to you in Likado. You might consider purchasing a spare Short Sword now, but you can save your money since Ray will come across enemies that drop MidSwrds (Middle Swords), so once he has one you can give his Short Sword to Tina when you meet her. You will find the more expensive HardSuit for her near the end of the first ‘dungeon’ equivalent you go to with her, so save yourself the bulk of the money by not buying any additional armour.

10---] David (your first Kustera team member) will already have a HardSuit and ‘MidSwrd’ which makes things easier, but gain a few easy levels with him at the entrance of Jeep Volcano, and if you don’t score a free NomalHat in the process (from a Hedgehog on the way or outside) you can easily afford to purchase one at Likado since David starts with a ‘whopping 500 Gold. You can also witness some optional dialogue if you speak to certain townsfolk in Likado or Ray’s home village. If you gain a few levels where you first gain control of David, keep in mind you can get free healing when you step on that gold crest/tile; possibly gaining aforementioned NomalHat from a Hedgehog in the process. Don’t stick around there any longer than it takes to achieve level 4 though, since you’ll gain more experience/Gold inside Jeep Volcano. Purchase him some Bread and an Antidote just to be safe.

11---] Once Ray has his HardSuit, he will no doubt have attained level 6 by then (and hopefully likewise for David, since it’s good to keep them around the same level; although David will not be able to progress deeper into Jeep Volcano hence level 6 for him is a good goal). Recover your MP at Ray’s house or at the Crest Shrine, and then it’s time to pass the first yellow gate (which David cannot pass, although be sure to pick up the two items past the green gates which only a member of Kustera can access) and head deeper into the volcano.

12---] When it comes to enemy item-drops, it is only the last enemy killed which will bring with it the possibility. For example, if you face a Slime and a Hedgehog, and you are hoping for the NomalHat drop from the Hedgehog, be sure to kill it last. If you are using an emulator, you can save yourself some time and annoyance (so to speak) by saving right before you are able to kill the last foe in one hit. If you don’t get the item drop you were after, simply reload and try again. This will still take many tries to achieve what you are after, but in the end it is generally quicker than fighting dozens of battles with the foe trying to get what it drops. I consider this an annoyance-prevention technique, but it shouldn’t be overused lest one’s sanity be at risk.

(I can't post part 2 right now; exceeds 15,000 characters and won't fit in one post >_>)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 12:29:37 am »
As to leveling Kustera,
Spoiler:
they are only really needed for the second-to-last dungeon, which is a series of mini-dungeons where you must find all key items to access the final dungeon, and a switch puzzle in the final dungeon.
The only other things they can do is grab some optional items in the other dungeons. Such as Moon-Drops, which recover full MP. So you might want to wait to grind them at the end of the game, so you can get the Drops and then use the storage to transfer them to the Aqutallion party, who will almost certainly need them in the trip to and including the final boss if you don't want to excessively grind.
My party's HP/MP has always stayed in the sub-255 range, but I've seen youtube videos where the party has hundreds of HP/MP (cheating or INSANE grinding). In my state (around level 35), the last boss is tough but beatable with a bit of luck and those Moon Drops (Regain 3 costs a huge 36 MP but worth it, though of course you don't want to waste MP using it on one or two people. As I recall the boss' worst attack was somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 damage to all.)

Jarlaxle

• View Profile
    • My Twitch Channel
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 01:35:40 am »
I'm definitely a perfectionist when it comes to RPGs, so I can't help but try and keep each main team at a similar level. They definitely could have utilised the Kustera party better, though.

And the second half:

13---] As you progress through the cave with Ray, try not to waste any MP on healing nor fighting excess battles. Find all the scattered treasure chests, but aim to progress near where the boss is because there is a bed there where you can get free healing (amusingly enough) and thus such is the best location to level up a tad more. Since you have limited inventory space, it’s not the end of the world if you use a Plum Plum or two so long as you keep one to sell for some decent money later on. Although to be honest, you really only need to save 6 MP for two castings of Heal during the boss battle, and if you are well-leveled and equipped, you will probably be able to get away with only needing to use Heal once or possibly even not at all, so keep aside 6 MP and you’ll be more than safe.

14---] At the entrance and inside the volcano you can finally come across some new enemies with a few tasty rewards if you are lucky or patient. One of them is a Goblin (looks more like some kind of red demon) which drops a ‘LethSuit’ (Leather Suit) which would be great as a freebie for Tina who you will meet not too distant in the future, which will serve her well until you get a free HardSuit in a treasure chest when you go with her to a certain boss’ lair. Try to have patience and attain one for free, but not until you know where the bed that provides free healing is located. You can also battle ‘Bone’ enemies in the volcano who drop a ‘Derby’ item which is a stronger form of headgear than a Normal Hat, so while you are gaining some extra experience try and score two of them as well! You can also come across a regular Cat Boo which drops a Plum Plum.

15---] It is very easy to reach level 8 with Ray given all the stronger enemies inside the volcano, and the fact that you can get free healing nearby makes it a must; especially since in the meantime you will be working towards getting a complimentary LethSuit and a pair of Derby headgear (or just one if you have had enough). At the Secret of the Stars Shrine the enemy guide is listed as having the Bone drop a ‘MidSwrd’ but that is clearly a mistake unless the foe is capable of dropping two different items which I doubt. If you are keen and want to earn some extra money and get an instant level-up after defeating the upcoming boss, get your EXP-‘till-next-level down to at least 116; which isn’t a hard thing to do when you face pairs of Goblins with the occasional Pig Man thrown in.

16---] When fighting Doctor Gari, keep in mind that Ray’s Fire (level 1) spell doesn’t do much more damage than his regular attack. However, if you are level 8 and have a decent surplus of MP, feel free to throw a few fireballs the mad Doctor’s way from time to time until you have a spare 3-6 MP to fall back on should you need some healing (doubtful).

17---] After you arrive safely at the town of Old Hill, you will eventually notice that on the World Map you can come across all the foes you met inside Jeep Volcano, and also a few new ones such as the Zombi (drops Antidote and can cast ‘Stop’ which defeats you instantly while you’re alone). If you explore too far out of the way keep in mind that you will encounter insanely powerful monsters that you cannot handle yet, so be sure to save your game often in case you venture where you really shouldn’t. Since David will have fallen behind level-wise and should be at level 6 while Ray is level 8 or 9, now is a good time to get him back up to speed, and also try and score a ‘Derby’ headgear item from a stray Bone enemy. I found it easiest to encounter them on the grasslands south of Winds.

18---] Near the (destroyed) town of Winds is a huge forest//scattering of trees. You might come across an Echo Cat, which can be rather dangerous since it can call//summon ‘Pump King’ foes, which when in pairs can breathe fire, or a single Pump King might ‘merge’ with the Echo Cat to become a  King Cat. This is an encounter best avoided while David and Ray are alone without aid, but in any case an Echo Cat might drop a ‘SteelCane’, a Pump King drops a MagicLeaf and a King Cat might offer up a Moon-Drop (which recovers all MP or sells for 100 Gold). The forest also houses Bad Bunny enemies which drop Rat-Tails, but be very careful when facing them at lower levels as their Freeze spell can kill you in just a few castings. If you go to the trees to the west of Winds, you may come across a ‘Wolf’ or two; these beasts drop MidSwrds, so you might like to try and get one for Ray who could use the offensive boost. Just be sure to save your game to be safe.

19---] You should have no trouble getting David to level 8 or 9 if you take a few risky forays in the forest west of the town of Winds, especially if you come across pairs of Wolves which aren’t too difficult and bring in plenty of EXP and Gold besides. Once you have accomplished this, switch back over to Ray and try and get into a battle with some Wolves as well so you can aim for a Middle Sword. When you progress to the town of Beegees have whoever is lower-level fight and beat the trio of ‘Badmen’, which was David in my case.

20---] Once Tina joins you, immediately equip her Short Sword (if Ray acquired a Middle Sword), Leather Suit and Derby to give her a decent boost; even though she is only level 1. Head back outside and go towards the town of Winds, where you will no doubt gain a few levels for Tina. Heal her with Ray since he’ll have a ton of MP to spare, and try and battle pairs of Wolves and other such beatable stronger monsters, which will allow you to get Tina leveled up a lot quicker. Aim to get her to level 7 or 8 if you have the patience, and then heal up by casting Ray’s Fly By spell and returning to Old Hill. Make your way back to Beegees, and go after the boss BadBad and his minions! Keep in mind Tina cannot equip a Middle Sword.

21---] In the caves on your way to BadBad’s hidden base in the mountains, you can come across a Ghost enemy which drops LethShoes (Leather Shoes). Try and get some for both Ray and Tina (there are pairs of Ghosts sometimes outside the mountains on your way to the boss). You can find one in a treasure chest, but it is better to let David get it since he cannot defeat a Ghost by himself (since they can really only be killed with magic). Thusly, if you encounter one with him you just have to Run away. It is good to make David visit BadBad’s domain as well since it will get him some good experience to keep him close to Ray’s level, and Ray’s inventory is no doubt full of several+ Plum Plums so you may as well have David pick up the ones found in chests in this ‘dungeon’. Such is a great way to counter the limited inventory space. Since he is by himself and has no way of healing, it is best to give him the majority of healing items anyway since you’ll be loaded with money by now. I find this to be a very awesome optional challenge.

22---] Once you arrive at BadBad’s fort/hideout, you will find beds to rest in. This is a great place to get David up to a desired level without having to waste too many healing items. I only had to use one Plum Plum and Bread on him on the way up, and got him to level  11 inside BadBad’s house. When I reached where the boss was located, Ray was level 12 while Tina was level 10, so I had them fight the boss (although it’s possible to fight him with just David) which got Tina to level 11. Afterwards, I picked up all the ‘secret’ items aside from the Antidote (since Ray/Tina had so many already for me, not to mention curative magic) and the LethShoes which I had David pick up. You can then instantly leave this area via the nearby stairs/’teleporter’.

23---] After you have restored the town of Beegees and finally acquire your second Kustera member (Ryu) he will be at level 4. He possesses a Middle Sword and Hard Suit already, and if you have a spare Derby let him have it; but if not you’ll score one for him in a treasure chest later on. In the meantime you should swap his Shoes for David’s LethShoes for a defense boost. You might want to fight a few battles in the caves which lead to BadBad’s hideout, at least until he attains level 7. Then you should head on over to the Star Shrine north-east of Beegees where you can do an optional quest to gain more experience and some nice items as well, including a Long Sword. Once you are finished you can bring them to the ‘Ringo-House’ to get the Kustera-only items which are a Derby and ‘Chainmale’.

24---] Regarding the above ‘side-quest’, when you teleport to the Kustera shrine, if you take the first set of stairs to the right you will come outside to a small patch of grassland. Here it is possible to fight Dragons, which can drop ‘Hand-Ax’ weapons which are pretty powerful and it would be good to nab one for Ryu. The fights can be a bit tough so this is probably best attempted after you have cleared the dungeon and secured the Long Sword for David. Also be careful in the lower levels of the dungeon as you can come across more powerful monsters; best not to go down there until Ryu is at least level 9, and keep in mind you can leave the place and restore your HP/MP back at the Star Shrine. Actually, you’d be best served giving a Hand-Ax to David and the Long Sword to Ryu since the ninja will end up being stronger and this will balance things out. The beauty of the harder battles outside is you can go back inside to receive free healing after every battle if you want. In the end David was level 13 while Ryu was level 11, learning Bolt in the process. Now you can also return to BadBad’s caves if you want to get an extra LethShoes from killing a Ghost; although you’ll also fight pairs of Ghosts at the Ringo Brother’s house.

After all of this is said and done, you will have a two-person Aqutallion party as awesomely equipped and leveled as possible, and so true will it be for your Kustera party.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:35:14 am by Jarlaxle »

pkt_paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 03:59:21 pm »
Thanks for the feedback and the hints, everyone.

I'm guessing it might be a good idea to scale the levels of the Kustera so that they are appropriately leveled when they join your party (and the rest of the Aqutallion for that matter).

-PKT

pkt_paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 06:48:32 pm »
Hi everyone,

I realize that I made the original post about this hack over 3 years ago. Things tend to get shelved when IRL happens.

At the behest of a fellow ROM hacker who has an unspeakable passion for this game, I am nearly finished working on my hack of it. It's in the process of being tested out, but I wanted to address the progress that I've made in hopes of getting some suggestions or feedback.

For the record, I know that the game is not Chrono Trigger. I don't need to be told this  :P

1) The script has been re-worked to have a mostly cohesive plot that contains directions regarding where to go as appropriate. In the beginning of the game this is fairly obvious, but when you get the ship, gyrocopter, UFO, etc., it's less explicit about where to go. I took some creative liberties with the script because of how vague and confusing the original story is; hopefully I did a good enough job to consider what I have an improvement.

2) I consulted the original Japanese game (Aqutallion) to check the names of items, monsters, etc. I don't speak Japanese well enough to rewrite the entire story, but from excerpts that I've asked others to read, the story for the most part is accurately translated. Which is frankly mind-blowing.

What wasn't accurate, mostly, were the names of items, towns, and monsters. There were monsters called TALANCHULA, OGA, etc. that I think were inaccurate attempts to translate these correctly. I've fixed these and rearranged the pointers as needed. There's also the infamous NOMALHAT which is just called ぼうし in the Japanese version, which translates to "hat." Some items, like DERBYHAT, etc., had completely different names. I retranslated the names of all of the items, using icons ala Final fantasy to allow for expanded item names. The town names were all accurate, including BEEGEES, but many of the town names were puns that were translated strangely. For instance, there's a town in the game called "MORE EYES" which has a bunch of Moai heads. I rewrote this as "Moais." The town of "DENGERS," where thieves try to steal from you, is デンジャス, which I think translates to "Dangers," which makes much more sense. Finally, the names of all of the characters are completely different; Ray, Tina, Cody, Leona, and Dan, for instance, are Ren, Reina, Kou, Puchi, and Dai, respectively. The MEATBALL item was actually takoyaki, which is only sold in Onsaka/Edon. Again, this makes sense.

3) Many of the in-game pieces of equipment didn't serve much of a purpose. For instance, the Scratcher weapon is something you can purchase, but it only casts a very basic spell in battle and doesn't offer any offensive capacity. Keeping this in mind, I repurposed some of these items as character-unique pieces of equipment; Ray has the MetlSwrd (Metal Slicer in Japanese), and now every other character has an item dropped by a monster rarely that serves as their ultimate weapon. All of these are in the final dungeon where most of your grinding before the last boss takes place.

4) Item prices and EXP to level up have been reduced to prevent excessive grinding. In my original post I wanted to reduce encounter rates and increase walking speed, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. The last time I posted a patch, I glitched the encounter rate to increase it instead of decrease it. This has been corrected, and Ray learns Repel early in the game to allow control over the number of encounters the player wants to have.

This all being said, I'm curious to know if anyone has any suggestions for further improvements. My hope is that someone will enjoy the game at least somewhat more as a result of all of the work I've put into the game.

And as a final note, the only substantial change to the story that I could find in playing the Japanese version through was that the town of SLEEPERS is actually called "DRUNKERS" in the Japanese version. You go into the town and there are tons of barrels and every other location is a bar or cafe, so it seems that the town is full of people ...who drink? This was probably censored for obvious reasons in the US release, but I'd be curious about anyone's take on that part of the game.

Thanks for reading!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 02:00:17 am »
Well, in the English version that town had a very obvious KFC joke.
Though I think it was still a chicken joke in Japanese?

Oddly the credits in the ending were changed as I recall. Different jobs got credited on the game (as I recall, a couple people that did get credit (presumably) in both versions used a fake name in the Japanese version and real name in the English version.)

pkt_paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 06:11:32 pm »
So everything seems to be worked out except for a few minor glitches here and there with pointers.

I wanted to ask if anyone could refer me to any documents regarding modifying the size of windows. The list of main commands is very small and could be nicer with bigger words.

The problem is that this is beyond my basic rom-hacking skills unless this is something easily accomplished with a tutorial. Otherwise, I will have to rely on squish tiles (as I started in the image) or just accept the grim reality of the limitations here. :P

Here's a link to the current menu: http://imgur.com/a/wpWYY
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:23:46 pm by pkt_paladin »