News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Translating every Master System game  (Read 2997 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Translating every Master System game
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 11:05:02 am »
If you can find someone experienced with tilemapping and compression, I can do both "Castelo Rá Tin Bum" and "Sítio do Pica Pau Amarelo", as they need some timed ordeal.

I looked at Castelo and the text graphics seemed quite straightforward: it stores the tiles as 1bpp, and loads them into VRAM with a routine. As for the text itself, I haven't got that far yet.

I remember watching Sardius play Alex Kidd in High Tech World. He got to the second "adventure" stage, and it sounds like even Sega of America didn't know how to finish the level (I recall they gave a solution like "pause the game 100 times" which sounds more like a cheat code than an intended solution). :D

Yeah, you have to pray in a temple for good luck 100 times and then you get something to progress to the next level. It's ridiculous. :D

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 11:12:45 am »
I remember watching Sardius play Alex Kidd in High Tech World. He got to the second "adventure" stage, and it sounds like even Sega of America didn't know how to finish the level (I recall they gave a solution like "pause the game 100 times" which sounds more like a cheat code than an intended solution). :D

It turns out there are two other ways of getting past the guard, both of which involve doing things exactly on the hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_FsRpOqn5M

Not a fun puzzle, even with three solutions!

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 02:39:45 am »
Just looked at my notes from several years ago. I already found the text in the ROM and made a table file, so the text is easy to get at, thankfully. But I'm going away for a week now, so no chance of me doing any hacking. I can keep chatting on the forum, of course, but no progress on anything. When I get back I think I'll have a look at Anmitsu-hime just because I'm somewhat interested in it, and I already have half the text translated (I did the intro, ending and a few other bits in my old notes). Granted you could play Alex Kidd and get the same experience, but whatever. At least it now makes sense that you live in a Japanese castle with your mum and dad when you're a princess rather than Alex Kidd. :D

BadChad

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 10:54:44 am »
Actually, Hokuto No Ken/Black Belt has already a french translation. I was hoping to deal with that after I finish my Hokuto No Ken/Last Battle project for Genesis.

That sounds exciting, I've always hoped someone would translate Black Belt and Last Battle back into Hokuto No Ken/FOTNS. I'm a big fan of the series!

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 03:31:07 am »
The Japanese version of Enduro Racer has a lot more stuff in it, but I don't recall it having any Japanese language. Same with Captain Silver.

Hokoto no Ken would be cool. Pretty decent game...much better than the 16-bit sequel, anyway >_<

cccmar

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 10:03:19 am »
At first I thought it was just a reskin to remove the FOTNS stuff, but after reading HG101 I can see that it goes beyond that, even changing some levels and boss battles.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/hokutonoken/blackbelt.htm
I think I may have to add that to the list - and possibly get to work, because it's quite an interesting one!

Yeah, there are many sprite changes, and there's also more text in the Japanese version (such as actual chapter names, some lines after you defeat each boss etc.) The changes are probably even more substantial than in the case of the Mega Drive Last Battle/Hokuto no Ken. Maybe there are more games which were changed in this way? Would be good to confirm that - still, I believe most of the Brazilian reskins don't change the gameplay really... :)

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 11:28:38 am »
The Japanese version of Enduro Racer has a lot more stuff in it, but I don't recall it having any Japanese language. Same with Captain Silver.

Yep, it seems to be 100% in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQN5E9OfHrM

The longer version of Captain Silver was also released in Europe, so that's already available in English too (I haven't checked the Japanese Captain Silver ROM).

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 11:29:56 am »

Hokoto no Ken would be cool. Pretty decent game...much better than the 16-bit sequel, anyway >_<

Yes, the Japanese version of Enduro Racer contains the full 10-level game. The western versions are five levels played twice.

The EU version of Captain Silver is the full game as well. It's just the US that got the stripped-down version.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 07:36:15 pm »
You know, aside from this goal that involves translating every known non-English Sega Master System game, I'm personally more interested in someone translating the non-English Sega SG-1000 games. You know, the Sega SG-1000, Sega's first, albeit Japan (and to a lesser extent, Asian and Oceanian) exclusive, console waaaaay before Sega brought the Sega Master System outside of Japan.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 10:02:54 pm »
You know, aside from this goal that involves translating every known non-English Sega Master System game, I'm personally more interested in someone translating the non-English Sega SG-1000 games. You know, the Sega SG-1000, Sega's first, albeit Japan (and to a lesser extent, Asian and Oceanian) exclusive, console waaaaay before Sega brought the Sega Master System outside of Japan.

Well, three are done (two by me). The others with Japanese text aren't too numerous:

Champion Kendou
Loretta no Shouzou: Sherlock Holmes (call it SMS or SG-1000, doesn't much matter)
Mahjong
Okamoto Ayako no Match Play Golf
San-Nin Mahjong
Seriwaza...Shogi
Shinnyushain Toru Kun [aka Mikie]
Uranai Angel Cutie

I think that may be it, other than Korean MSX ports and such that use the SG-1000 video mode but may or may not run on the SG-1000 itself. And there are those Taiwanese games that use an 8K RAM cart...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:09:53 pm by goldenband »

Forum80

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 10:39:45 pm »
Pro Yakyuu - Pennant Race is actually a different game to the US Great Baseball release. Pro Yakyuu - Pennant Race released later and is more advanced with an overhead view along with having different teams/leagues.

As for Korean games, the only one that might be considered official is HiCom's Gaegujangi Kkachi. HiCom did officially distribute some SMS and SMD games in Korea, but it's not really clear what their relationship was with Samsung. The other Korean games are mostly in English anyway.

Edit: Looking at the SMS games which ran in SMS graphics mode as opposed to MSX hacks/ports which ran in SG-1000 legacy mode;

Code: [Select]
Title                                                           Localised?

94 Super World Cup Soccer                                       No                         
Agigongnyong Dooly                                              Yes - The Dinosaur Dooley
Dallyeora Pigu Wang                                             No
Gaegujangi Kkachi                                               No
Janggun-ui Adeul                                                Yes - Street Hero   
Jang Pung II                                                    Yes - Street Battle
Jang Pung 3                                                     No
Samgukji III                                                    No
Suho Jeonsa                                                     Yes - Power Block
Super Boy 4                                                     Yes - (Fully English)
Toto World 3                                                    Yes - Cave Dude

Some were localised for the Australian "4 Pak All Action" release, whilst others were localised for US Game Gear release (runing in SMS mode). Super Boy 4 was already fully English.

94 Super World Cup Soccer and Jang Pung 3 seem to just have Korean on the title screen.

Dallyeora Pigu Wang has Korean on title, team selection, and game over.

Samgukji III has Korean on title, intro, and player selection.

Gaegujangi Kkachi has Korean on title, intro, inventory, shop, and start/end of level.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:13:00 pm by Forum80 »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 04:08:04 pm »
If we are going by "official" I think the Super Boy games would be out as they are clearly bootleg Mario ports.
(as opposed to the FC Toto World aka Buzz & Walldog which took some graphics from SMW but seems to have otherwise been original, the Super Boys were clearly meant as copies)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2017, 08:17:20 pm »
Heard that Spellcaster (UE) is very different from Kujaku-Oh (J) - heavy graphics and entire script changed.

Some more info about the original Japan series.
http://opcfg.kontek.net/archive/kujakuo.html

Cyborg Hunter (U) had some graphics edited from (Chouon Senshi) Borgman (J). But don't think they changed the script really.

Forum80

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 11:58:55 pm »
My first hack :p

94 Super World Cup Soccer, just the title screen needed for this game;

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 11:02:12 pm »

Niiiiiice. :D Psyched to see these Korean games get attention! And thanks for the post about Pro Yakyuu Pennant Race -- I guess the situation is more complicated than I'd been told.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 09:49:14 am »

Have you submitted the hack or put it anywhere?

Forum80

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 10:56:26 am »
If we are going by "official" I think the Super Boy games would be out as they are clearly bootleg Mario ports.
(as opposed to the FC Toto World aka Buzz & Walldog which took some graphics from SMW but seems to have otherwise been original, the Super Boys were clearly meant as copies)

The Super Boy games seem to be completely English anyway. I took a brief look at the MSX ports, just a handful have Korean on the title screen. I didn't notice any Korean in game, but a more indepth play through will be required.

FA Tetris   
Gangcheol RoboCop 
Hong Kil Dong     
New Boggle Boggle 2 
Wonsiin 

Niiiiiice. :D Psyched to see these Korean games get attention! And thanks for the post about Pro Yakyuu Pennant Race -- I guess the situation is more complicated than I'd been told.

Thanks, it's a common misconception about Pro Yakyuu Pennant Race, as it's clearly based on the same code.

Have you submitted the hack or put it anywhere?

Not yet, I think I'll clean up a few things first, and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback before submitting.