News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: いいこと教えてあげる  (Read 1453 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
いいこと教えてあげる
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:45:40 am »
I love how script writers tend to have these certain phrases and words they rely on.

In my current script, the author uses "いいこと教えてあげる" on several occasions. I'm not satisfied with "Let me tell you something good/I'll tell you something good". It's too awkward.

I found a short exchange advocating for "I'll tell you what".
http://eikaiwa.dmm.com/uknow/questions/8931/

However, I feel like it could have the connotation of "I'll let you in on a little secret."

Thoughts?

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: いいこと教えてあげる
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 09:17:18 am »
I'd say you're right about the connotation. The implication is that you're doing something for the listener, so something like "Let me tell you a little secret" or something is a great way to get that across naturally in English. Translating it as "I'll tell you something good" would be a bit stiff/bland and less natural.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:58:50 am »
Thanks! I'm finding using "secret" for iikoto in this script seems to fit well in places, though seeing it in context will ultimately be the determining factor.

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:23:12 am »
A bit late to reply, but thought I'd add my 2 cents.  I would completely agree that "tell you something good" is not the best translation. How I translate it would be mostly based on what follows. If it was a relayed secret, I might use "Here's something juicy..." If the phrase was simply a "character-flavoring" repeated by a single person, I might render "I'll tell you how it is..." or "Here's a good one...".

Generally I take the sum-total of the speaker's lines (aka their personality) and let that guide the phrasing. A 100% literal translation often breaks characters, or as they say, 'a translator is good for legal contracts, but for art you need an interpretor'.

I recall a similar situation with the literal phrase 'Strange Tower'. I rendered "Dark Tower"; different words, but overall more accurate to the original, I believe.