News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Translations: Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special is now officially in English!  (Read 2333 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: mrrichard999

Here is the complete English translation patch for the Game Gear title, Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special. Not only has everything been translated, but some improvements to the game have been made as well, such as making the enemy encounter rates more reasonable and incorporating faster turning in the dungeons (as it was very slow by default). We hope you enjoy this release!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

cccmar

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Nice! Game Gear translations are quite rare, so it's good to see a new one, especially from this series. There was one more interesting Last Bible game on the system, wasn't there? :) Either way, thank you for the effort!

Tom

• View Profile
The Last Bible 1 remake on the Game Gear is the ultimate version of Last Bible 1! It has an expanded storyline and a rewritten script (that actually makes sense) with an additional epilogue, new dungeon, new final boss, and the TRUE ending of the game!

Apparently, the graphics and font are encrypted, somehow. I hope that the game can be hacked. If it can, I will DEFINITELY translate it!

Sanzot

• View Profile
I don't want to sound like a dick or anything as I sure am grateful for your work but could you guys please release a separate patch that is just the vanilla game in English? So people could choose? It's probably not a lot of work and I for one would rather play it that way.

But again thank you very much, really excited about playing this either way.

getter77

• View Profile
Awesome on all fronts---doubly that the core improvements were able to be made as well!   :beer:

rainponcho

• View Profile
Starting to reduce my backlog and took a quick peek at Last Bible compression. Throws the font in at bootup. Looks like your typical Liv-Zempel stuff with some strange tweaks thrown in.

Think I can handle this method; not some wicked waterfall of pain like Pack-in-Video or Falcom. MrRichard999 will be taking care of the rest if tool gets ready. Hopefully. :)

Although I thought someone posted some translated + inserted intro pictures at one point??

And a bit ironically, looks like Tom could turn out to be the Last Bible master (1/2/3/S).

Tom

• View Profile
Rainponcho, if you can figure out how it works, you'll be the Last Bible savior, because the saga's not quite complete without the Game Gear version!

mikeprado30

• View Profile
We hope rainponcho will get over this encryption  :woot!:

And congrats to the whole staff involved in this new patch!  :thumbsup:

rainponcho

• View Profile
Fully understand how it decodes. Writing the compressor, although algorithm uses multi-rle and wrapping LZ cache history. This should be solvable but not as quickly as I'd like, since decoder gave me some trouble actually with its use of wraparound behavior.

Funny thing is I didn't know Sonic Blast is a 1MB cartridge. Always thought GG went up to 512KB.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
There's only a few 1MB GG games but that's as large as they went on the Sega 8-bit consoles.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Fredde

• View Profile
Awesome to see another part of the sprawling MegaTen series getting translated!

As much as I really do appreciate the improvements to the gameplay, would it be possible to have a patch that only translates the text, and leaves the gameplay as it was, for "purists" or those curious on how the game played originally?

Tom

• View Profile
I agree that there should be a "purist" version.

rainponcho

• View Profile
I've asked MrRichard999 if he's going to allow an addendum (my experience with Wizardry Empire GBC projects).

Here's an unenhanced addendum patch in the meantime.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/g5dv40

Enhanced --> Normal / Classic / Purist / Vanilla / Original
- dungeon movement
- encounter rate

Did get a few project requests for some extra enhancements. So that patch might grow a bit. Like I had an idea about maybe halving the rate weapons break, which is ~1/11 iirc. The way they did the randomizer wasn't so fun to work with for combat.

And sent MrRichard999 tools to (de-)crunch the bitmaps. What a bastard that turned out - Atlus somehow math optimized every possible byte gain. And they carefully thought it out.
ex. 1 Raw + 2 Rle + 1 Raw (7) ==> 4 Raw (5).

I come close to original size #s but I'm over a bit. Hopefully Japan --> English will shrink it down to safe levels.

But project is green lighted for start!

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Going to post a Vanilla and Modded version within the next few days. Should have it up by at least Sunday.
:woot!: Seeking translators for some small project work!
8x8 Icons

Tom

• View Profile
Watching some people streaming it, I saw some glitches that we might want to fix before releasing more patches.

By the way, when you say that the project is greenlighted, are you talking about Last Bible 1 for the GG?

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Watching some people streaming it, I saw some glitches that we might want to fix before releasing more patches.

By the way, when you say that the project is greenlighted, are you talking about Last Bible 1 for the GG?

Fixed Pyramid text issue that was sent over and posted a 1.01 patch which corrects this issue. For anyone who is past collecting the pyramid, there is no need to update. The other glitch mentioned was the Twitch user adjusting the color scheme in the dungeon which is accessible in the dungeon menu. Crisis averted :)
:woot!: Seeking translators for some small project work!
8x8 Icons