News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Any tactical to action rpg remakes?  (Read 2036 times)

maseter

• View Profile
Any tactical to action rpg remakes?
« on: July 30, 2017, 06:13:57 am »
As someone who just can't get into classic turn based RPGs, such as Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy, i wonder, or wish, if there ever were any attempts to turn one of them into a full fledged action RPG?

What would such effort even be called, a de-make?
Chrono Trigger on the A link to the past engine would be mind blowing!

Artemis

• View Profile
Re: Any tactical to action rpg remakes?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:22:25 am »
Lufia Rise of the Sinistrals got exactly that in form of its reboot for the DS.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 01:05:39 pm »
I burned out on turn based final fantasy clones some time in the PS2 era, still mostly stuck to this day (I certainly don't play them for pleasure).
Late in the PS3 lifetime I reviewed a bunch of games from NIS. Theoretically they were turn based but you could skip everything from text to animations with a single button press, and speed things up rapidly without it.
At the same time I used to play the old might and magic games. A feature there was the option to trigger turn based mode. Similarly I played Eternal Sonata and it gained more and more real time elements (optional) as the game went on.

The reason I mention all this is "demake" type things are just another game. You can rip the sprites, music and story if you really wanted (by the way doing that may kill any desire you have to play it -- ask any translator if they want to go back and play a game they considered every nuance of the script of over the last however many hundred hours) but while skills are needed to originally make any those it is likely not going to be the major time component of this. Even if you went on a modern PC and coded for that rather than the base console it is not going to help much. On the other hand adding in such features as rapid text, maybe some light prediction of moves, binding a button to attack or certain spells... is considerably more doable. I don't know that I have ever seen such a thing but macros, button tweaks, text speed increases and other speed up/skip options we see pretty much all the time. It would not be a starter hack or possibly even that good to learn with (if it motivates you then great, if not then don't) but at the same time a fairly well versed hacker would make progress in good time.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 01:38:56 pm »
What an odd question.

How about Front Mission: Gun Hazard?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:09:18 pm »
How about Front Mission: Gun Hazard?

Yes! Something like that exactly.

I had the thought for this topic when looking at patient zero:
Dragoon X Omega https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1

Thinking how sad that this isn't a space Zelda type of thing instead. :)

Both omegas actually.

July 30, 2017, 04:12:07 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I don't know that I have ever seen such a thing

Neither have i, that's why the question, as it's an interesting concept or project idea.

And there are dozens of games to pick as the source game.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 04:57:48 pm »
Real time vs turn based has a whole heap of game design going around it, and imagining one thing translated to the other can be a fun exercise but I imagine the main reason we don't see it done is because it is a whole lot of work. If it was as "easy" as many of the other types of hacks we do around here then we would likely see some, however it is not and thus we won't.
Far easier to make a fan game, and then see patterns and replace the sprites with your own.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:40:07 pm »
We'll see if the rumor that SE was going to turn FF7 into an action-RPG turns true (whatever decade and whatever console the thing actually ends up getting released on, if it does  ;D ).
The fun of arguments with youtube commenters about if "the original game, but in HD" is what people want or if it would be "better" turned into basically Kingdom Hearts with Mako...

Unfortunately the thing about SE is that when they remake something they can do good if they want to take time to do it correctly, or they can turn into an abomination if they just want to crap it out for quick cash. We've seen them sadly do both.
If it's a console game they'll probably do the former but the latter if it's a mobile game. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 12:02:59 pm »
I'm currently working on converting Legend of Zelda for the NES into a Final Fantasy themed adventure game.

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 02:30:34 pm »
You forgot the link: Final Fantasy Quest - Legend of Zelda Hack

Looks great so far!

The Final Fantasy series would have been so much better as an action RPG.