News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Terranigma MSU-1 - PAL and NTSC  (Read 2819 times)

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
Terranigma MSU-1 - PAL and NTSC
« on: July 28, 2017, 02:22:51 am »
After quite some time on this project, I am proud to finally introduce the MSU-1 version of Terranigma/Tenchi Souzou to the community! It features a completely rearranged soundtrack by Martin Denk for your listening pleasure while playing the game. Only the save jingle and baby cry sound are left untouched.

Special thanks go to Conn, who helped me a lot with the progress on this patch. The hack should work on all PAL versions as well as the the Japanese NTSC version of the game.

Please leave me feedback if you should encounter any bugs!

For those not familiar with MSU-1, these patches work on BSNES/Higan emulators and on sd2snes flashcards on real hardware.

PCM Pack
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2jBFWEm9IiwQkN6NEVWelozNlU/view?usp=sharing

Patch for PAL Englisch, German und Japan NTSC Version. Work fine with both the NTSC and font-fix patches applied

Download:

http://www.snes-projects.de/DLBase/DL/MSU1%20Spiele/Terranigma/Terranigma_msu-1.zip

Have fun,

thanks

red
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:17:26 am by RedScorpion »

Kallisto

• View Profile
Re: Terranigma MSU-1 - PAL and NTSC
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 03:02:14 am »
Thank you for this! Now if only somebody patches the Dragon Quest Games one day, but that's another story for another time.

Thank you for your hard work.  :)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 03:13:54 am »
Is there support for the French version ?

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:18:40 am »
Is there support for the French version ?

Yes, the french version should work. please use the pal patch!

thanks

red

4ph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 07:43:48 am »
Work in French !!!

Thanks you Red !  ;)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 03:17:27 pm »
So I'm just listening the sound pack to... it sounds very synth-ish. I noticed a couple of wrong notes here and there. But some tracks still sounds significantly better than their original counterparts but overall I don't think it makes such a difference. Still nice work !

PS: Wow, track 1 (underworld's theme) and track 21 (Ivan's Tower/hideout) really sound WAY supperior to their originals !!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:32:30 pm by Bregalad »

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 05:18:23 am »
Update in #1 post. NEw Patchversion. Fix soundissue during mute scene ingame!

Thanks

red

qwertymodo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 09:41:15 am »
Just an FYI, it works in Snes9x too, but you'll have to get your hands on a recent git build until 1.55 comes out.

Stremon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 11:59:13 pm »
Wow thank you for this great msu1 patch :D
I am wondering, is there a way to patch the French version to NTSC to play it in 60Hz?
The german patch indeed work to patch the french version, but the patch with NTSC doesn't work sadly...

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 01:13:26 am »
Wow thank you for this great msu1 patch :D
I am wondering, is there a way to patch the French version to NTSC to play it in 60Hz?
The german patch indeed work to patch the french version, but the patch with NTSC doesn't work sadly...
I'd imagine this patch would convert the french version to NTSC for you: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/541/
though as this patch needs a headerless ROM, and that patch needs a headered ROM, you'll need to apply this patch, use something like SNEStool to add a header on the ROM, apply the NTSC patch, then use SNEStool again to remove the header (because headers are bad, m'kay).

@RedScorpion - I just grabbed this, but I noticed something odd while setting up the files.
Terranigma_msu1-0.pcm
This file is only 8-bytes, and hexedit shows it only contains the MSU-1 header information. Did I get a corrupted download, or is this file supposed to be like that?

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 03:36:17 am »
@RedScorpion - I just grabbed this, but I noticed something odd while setting up the files.
Terranigma_msu1-0.pcm
This file is only 8-bytes, and hexedit shows it only contains the MSU-1 header information. Did I get a corrupted download, or is this file supposed to be like that?

I'm guessing it's for the "mute scene" RedScorpion mentioned in his update, so it's probably supposed to be blank.

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 11:55:47 am »
Does this work, with terranigma spain? :-[

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 01:45:24 am »
Does this work, with terranigma spain? :-[
You lose nothing from just applying the patch to the spanish version and seeing if it works.

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 03:09:51 am »
Should work without problems. If not, please report here and we could adjust the patch.

In the last two msu patches the position in rom was differnet in some other language. From my stand, the english, german and french version has the same rom positions.

Thanks

red

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 09:10:59 am »
OK here is what I did, to make it work, use dos box + dfend reloaded, to be able to use snes tool with windows 7 64bits, add a header, use the 60Hz patch, delete the header, tried every patch, the Spain game only works with the PAL German patch! after that fixed the ROM info with IpsAndSum.
If you just want to play the game at 50Hz, just apply the pal German patch.
no matter what i tried, the 8x16 patch doesn't work, so bad luck for Spain users!
all the steps works, the same for the french game, also what's the .asm file for?
Anyway thanks for your work, the soundtrack is amazing!

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 08:23:42 pm »
SNEStuff: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/841/

A tool similar to SNES Tool that will allow you to add/remove headers (among other things) that works in x64 Windows.

And I believe ASM files contain the ASM code (Which I believe is assembly-level programming code used to build a mod, not 100% sure on the specifics though) for the patch. You don't need it if you're just applying the IPS patch, it's more for people trying to get this patch to work with another one.

---

*edit- Just finished beating Terranigma, this was my first time playing it. I have to say... Amazing game, but the least satisfying ending to a game I've ever personally experienced. And that's including the 20ish second after-credits chunk that doesn't actually conclude anything, and depending on how you interpret it could either completely kill the emotional and plot impact of the rest of the ending, or be completely irrelevant...

Overall I give it a 7 out of 10. -1 point for the bad grammar (at least what's meant is actually clear... mostly), and -2 points for the ending.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:49:52 am by edale »

VideogameScrapbook

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 07:18:20 pm »
Hi @RedScorpion, thank you for creating this! Can you create an alternative version of this pack which features the official arrangements that were arranged by the original game composers? You'd only have to loop the first 6 tracks of this official soundtrack (the rest are just original versions):
https://vgmdb.net/album/1920

Here's the tracklist with the Unofficial Soundtrack equivalent titles to help you:
01 Light and Darkness [Arrange Version] [AKA: Opening]
02 Further into the Wide World [Arrange Version] [AKA: Overworld]
03 ZOO [Arrange Version] [AKA: Zue]
04 Evergreen [Arrange Version] [AKA: Evergreen Forest]
05 Those Who Stand in the Way [Arrange Version] [AKA: Boss Battle]
06 The Way Home [Arrange Version] [AKA: Ending]

Let me know if you can't get the original lossless rip as a source for doing this.

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 02:49:52 am »
Hi @RedScorpion, thank you for creating this! Can you create an alternative version of this pack which features the official arrangements that were arranged by the original game composers? You'd only have to loop the first 6 tracks of this official soundtrack (the rest are just original versions):
https://vgmdb.net/album/1920

Here's the tracklist with the Unofficial Soundtrack equivalent titles to help you:
01 Light and Darkness [Arrange Version] [AKA: Opening]
02 Further into the Wide World [Arrange Version] [AKA: Overworld]
03 ZOO [Arrange Version] [AKA: Zue]
04 Evergreen [Arrange Version] [AKA: Evergreen Forest]
05 Those Who Stand in the Way [Arrange Version] [AKA: Boss Battle]
06 The Way Home [Arrange Version] [AKA: Ending]

Let me know if you can't get the original lossless rip as a source for doing this.

Nice arranges versions of the tracks. Will create the pcms ;)

Thanks

red

VideogameScrapbook

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 04:53:25 pm »

Nice arranges versions of the tracks. Will create the pcms ;)

Thanks

red
Thank you Red, what's your current progress?

In case it would help, I created a PCM for the first track. Included is the Sony Vegas project file I created for the crossfade transition and an updated tracks.json with the loop point timecodes (though please note that using MSUPCM++ with the original soundtrack file wouldn't have the seamless crossfade transition I created in Vegas):
http://www.videogamescrapbook.com/temp/to_redscorpion/Terranigma_msu1-55.zip

I'm okay if you decide to not use the above if you create your own PCM of that track. I'm going to go back to my other projects for now, only 5 more tracks to go if you want to take on the rest! :)

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 03:24:10 pm »
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:20:50 pm by RedScorpion »