News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Time Stranger dialogue  (Read 822 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Time Stranger dialogue
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:07:02 pm »
Hey guys, I'm in the process of translating Time Stranger for the Famicom. It's a text-heavy game, and I don't want to paste too much on here, but some of the language has got me puzzled. Being a Famicom game, it IS kana only which makes life that much harder, but hopefully together we can figure it out. :)

I'm gonna provide my entire dump, made using Table21, which I used on a previous translation and although there may be better ones out there, this one was super simple to use, completely adaptable to any game, and just gets the job done.

Anyway, enough blah blah, here's the two scripts to peruse or ignore at your will:
http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/timestranger-dump-10.txt
http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/timestranger-dump-14.txt
(10 and 14 refers to the bank offset, as it takes up two banks)

For now I'm just gonna paste a couple of lines that bother me and we'll see if anyone can help. I'll post more as I go along. Context: you're a time travelling timecop who goes to various time periods relevant to Japanese history. The first encounter is with Nobunaga, known in the west for games like Nobunaga's Ambition. His castle is being attacked by Mitsuhide's forces, and you beam in with your time machine.

This line is causing me problems, though obviously I get the gist (you die):

1004A
[0211]「おまえは へんじをしらないようだな。」%[0513]なかぬなら ころしてしまえ ほととぎす%[0515]のぶながに きりころされました。%[9517]THE END%

(FYI the first number is where the pointer is, the numbers in brackets say where on the screen the line starts)

My rough guess is "'You don't have an answer, eh?' _____ You're killed by Nobunaga".
It's the middle line that confuses me. Again, doesn't matter that much cause, you know, you die. But still. :)

I'll upload my work in progress translation soon, and anyone who wants to help can browse my translation and see if I'm a bit off somewhere. Despite translating several games, my Japanese is still far from good, and I have to use WWWJDIC and a grammar guide for almost every line. :-[ I studied years ago but I'm out of practice...

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: Time Stranger dialogue
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:47:49 pm »
Google to the rescue. ;)

鳴かぬなら殺してしまえホトトギ "If you don't sing for me, I'll kill you."

This is an expression associated directly with Nobunaga apparently. Details here: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/%E4%BF%A1%E9%95%B7-%E7%A7%80%E5%90%89-%E5%AE%B6%E5%BA%B7.2669315/

EDIT:
「おまえは へんじをしらないようだな。」
"You do not seem to know the answer."
なかぬなら ころしてしまえ ほととぎす
If you don't sing for me, I'll kill you. (Perhaps, "Those who do not sing are killed." as it appears to not have brackets and therefor may not be spoken dialog.)
のぶながに きりころされました。
X was sliced to death by Nobunaga.

Pluvius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 05:14:10 am »
"Hototogisu" is the name of another untranslated Famicom game set in the Sengoku period, incidentally.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 06:50:45 pm »
Okay guys, I'm gonna level with you: translating this all-kana text is getting me down. :-\

Here's what little I've translated thus far, for anyone who wants to check what I've done against the original. If anyone wants to make suggestions, be my guest.
http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/timestranger-insert-10.txt

As for the rest... I'm really thinking that if someone else wants to translate it all and doesn't have anything else to do, I wouldn't be against it. :D I mean, maybe my heart's just not in it right now, but that could change. I just feel like this kind of text is a bit trickier for me than some other games I've seen, where it's mostly dialogue spoken in plain Japanese. And there's a lot of text here.

If anyone's interested in taking up the mantle, there's an excellent guide (in Japanese) that someone made, showing where all the questions lead to, including which types of history you get into:
http://www.geocities.jp/tokitabi_mimamoru/gif/guide-gif.html

Please let me know, either if you want to take over, or just have constructive comments about my translation so far. :)

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 12:12:01 pm »
As for the rest... I'm really thinking that if someone else wants to translate it all and doesn't have anything else to do, I wouldn't be against it. :D I mean, maybe my heart's just not in it right now, but that could change. I just feel like this kind of text is a bit trickier for me than some other games I've seen, where it's mostly dialogue spoken in plain Japanese. And there's a lot of text here.

I'm really interested in this game, but I don't have a lot of free time at the moment. I can offer you moral support, though. All-kana games are a bitch to translate, and all-kana text adventure games are even worse. Try to keep at it, and think of this as a good learning experience.  :)
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:52:40 pm »
Thanks for your moral support! ;)

Actually I've been banging through some lines today since I had a few minutes to spare. It seems that the actual dialogue isn't so bad, it's the narration that I find confusing. Here's a couple of bits I need help with.

[0211]てあつく ほうむってやろうと しましたが%[0213]みつひでのへいが やってきて%[8215]くびを とられて しまいました。%

I get the second part - Mitsuhide's forces have taken over the castle - but the first part I can't understand.

[0211]てんかを とったが まだ まんぞくできないで%[0213]ちょうせんも とろうと おもっている%[8215]ひでよしが います。%

Pretty sure Chousen means Korea here. Something like "Not yet able to take the world, taking Korea is thought to be futile"? And is it saying Hideyoshi thinks so? The grammar is unclear to me.

I'll keep you guys informed of any more in future. It's mostly the narration.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 12:43:37 am »
I'll take a crack at these.

[0211]てあつく ほうむってやろうと しましたが%[0213]みつひでのへいが やってきて%[8215]くびを とられて しまいました。%

手厚く葬ってやろうとしましたが光秀の兵がやって来て首を取られてしまいました。
X tried/wanted to give Y a respectful burial, but Y's head was taken when Mitsuhide's soldiers came.

[0211]てんかを とったが まだ まんぞくできないで%[0213]ちょうせんも とろうと おもっている%[8215]ひでよしが います。%

I'd split this one up into two sentences.

天下を取ったがまだ満足できない朝鮮も取ろうと思っている秀吉がいます。
Hideyoshi has taken the whole country, but he's not yet content. He wants to take Korea, too.

Literally, it would be something like "Here is Hideyoshi, having taken over the entire land but not yet able to feel satisfied and considering taking over Korea as well."

Hope this helps.
Sign THIS!

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:25:27 am »
Thanks for your help thus far, guys. I've made slow progress but just got one line I want to look at.

かねづかいのあらい のぶながは くにの おかねにまで
てを だしてしまい ひでよしらの てによって
ついほう されました.

I wanted to ask because I'm not 100% sure of the grammar. As far as I can guess, Nobunaga was bad with money and wasted all the country's money, so Hideyoshi sent him into exile. But I'm not certain it's that way round. Anyone care to help?

filler

• "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:50:44 am »
I welcome feedback on this.

金遣いの荒いのぶながは
As for Nobunaga who is careless with money, (this is the topic/subject)

お金にまで手を出してしまい
before he goes and meddles in the country's money (I think まで is used like "before" here)

ひでよしらの手によって追放されました
he's ousted/exiled by Hideyoshi and his men. (Hideyoshi et. al/& co.)

Edited a bit: "Before he goes and meddles in the country's money, the extravagant Nobunaga is ousted by Hideyoshi and his men."