News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: What's the best N64 emulator?  (Read 2016 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best N64 emulator?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 09:42:14 am »
Anyway I wonder why N64 emulation is still so iffy like this. Is it all a legacy of initial forays into uncharted territory and being held together with chewing gum and twine still being the basis for today, is it just that the N64 was such a failure but also a bit of a pain that nobody cares to sort it or is it actually a pain that benefits from plugin hell.

It is a complex architecture with custom chips, and it so happens that it's easy to get something playable by forgoing accuracy.

Saturn emulation isn't that much better, is it?
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 05:22:47 pm »
Anyway I wonder why N64 emulation is still so iffy like this. Is it all a legacy of initial forays into uncharted territory and being held together with chewing gum and twine still being the basis for today, is it just that the N64 was such a failure but also a bit of a pain that nobody cares to sort it or is it actually a pain that benefits from plugin hell.

Nearly every emulator I've used all had an interface that looked to be based off of the same thing, leading me to believe that most N64 emulators are built upon the same old, shitty source code that should have been abandoned years ago.

If I were to take a quick stab at it I'd guess that too many people that have designed N64 emulators have focused too much on trying to overcome the system's limitations before even covering the basics of stable operation.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 02:18:22 am »
They suffered through plug and pray and now want something better?

I think few consoles got quite the popularity as the NES and SNES, at least from emu developers eager to push forward.
The next one I can think of is probably the PS1 but I think even that was stuck in plugin hell for years until pSX (or however it was capitalized).
GBA and DS are the only consoles I can think of where people got to work on emulation before the hardware was even released.
Genesis and Game Boy are systems that went on for years with "good enough" emulation.
It seems we had a bit of forward progress with original Game Boy emulation this year, with some discovery on accurate timing of the console. Seems someone finally got the Pinball Dreams trilogy playing, among the last licensed games to remain unplayable due to hardware emulation flaws (sounds like there's still work to be done on a few very obscure mappers).
As for Genesis, this year was the first time I heard anyone speak of how to properly emulate the Sonic & Knuckles lock-on (since just concatenating the ROMs was Good Enough) or how SRAM is actually mapped by the carts.

Though in the case of Genesis emulation, I think it was quite before they even looked into Pico as an extension (I hear it can now technically be emulated, but hasn't resolved the issue that in addition to the ROMs, the UIs were a separate, non-digital media. Sounds like a significant problem.)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 07:02:22 am »
And certain emulators seem to lag on the 3D models of each character at times, like in Conker's Bad Fur Day

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 11:12:09 am »
I think few consoles got quite the popularity as the NES and SNES, at least from emu developers eager to push forward.
The next one I can think of is probably the PS1 but I think even that was stuck in plugin hell for years until pSX (or however it was capitalized).
GBA and DS are the only consoles I can think of where people got to work on emulation before the hardware was even released.
Genesis and Game Boy are systems that went on for years with "good enough" emulation.
It seems we had a bit of forward progress with original Game Boy emulation this year, with some discovery on accurate timing of the console. Seems someone finally got the Pinball Dreams trilogy playing, among the last licensed games to remain unplayable due to hardware emulation flaws (sounds like there's still work to be done on a few very obscure mappers).
As for Genesis, this year was the first time I heard anyone speak of how to properly emulate the Sonic & Knuckles lock-on (since just concatenating the ROMs was Good Enough) or how SRAM is actually mapped by the carts.

Though in the case of Genesis emulation, I think it was quite before they even looked into Pico as an extension (I hear it can now technically be emulated, but hasn't resolved the issue that in addition to the ROMs, the UIs were a separate, non-digital media. Sounds like a significant problem.)

My big bet for the future of emulation is FPGAs or similar, probably as a card stuck in a PCI slot. You mentioned the gameboys and they have sort of gone there already with people either emulating the more exotic MBCs for flash carts, or making a GB/GBC from scratch, some of said same also playing into the dumping and timing stuff ( https://www.its.caltech.edu/~costis/sgb_hack/ ). While I like seeing the software side of things go for that do you think it is going to happen prior to FPGAs taking over?

Was DS emulation attempted before the hardware? I know there was ensata (a leaked SDK emulator, quite incompatible but not totally so) but most of what I saw happened after homebrew was achieved and took a fair while to really get going (I remember using no$gba and having to avoid the rooms in Castlevania with 3d backgrounds as that part was not finished). I will give that such a thing was fairly early on and present throughout the glory years of it, something of a difference to most.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 07:17:57 am »
I saw mupen64plus on youtube. Seems to be a pretty good emulator. Probably the best out there, but many n64 games have been remade anyway. Unless it's nostalgia I don't get why people would want to go down memory lane to one of the first 3D consoles, where the sprites and models were kind of like prototypes and game makers couldn't get it right until at least the ps2 or gamecube.
One small step for man,
one giant leap for mankind. -Neil Armstrong