News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What's the best N64 emulator?  (Read 7827 times)

Melasauce

• View Profile
What's the best N64 emulator?
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:41:13 pm »
What's the best choice of the N64 emulator? I heard that some of them may contain malware, so I decided to ask you guys. Plus last time I tried to play a N64 game (Duke Nukem ZERO:HOUR), I was using Project64 but it crashed after tutorial level (but it was on my old PC with Windows XP).

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: What's the best N64 emulator?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:46:51 pm »
Try bizhawk http://tasvideos.org/BizHawk.html

What he said. Mupen64plus is currently the best emulator out there, but it's also available in Retroarch, while Bizhawk is good for making Tool Assisted Speedruns.
http://www.retroarch.com/

ineedahorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 11:01:14 am »
I don't know. mupen64plus is pretty good for playing games, but AFAIK, none of the N64 emulators are where bsnes/higan is for the SNES right now. There's apparently an N64 emulator that's trying to become that accurate. It's called CEN64. I've never used it. From perusing the web, it sounds like the system requirements are pretty high.

You know, the N64 itself may be the best option for testing N64 homebrew, hacks, and such. You can get one of those SD card cart things. They're crazy expensive, though.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:21:36 am by ineedahorse »

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 10:49:20 pm »
Is there any N64 emulator that supports scanlines?

miqrojamie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 08:04:20 am »
I'd go for Mupen64Plus with an up-to-date front end or compiling Project64 from source (due to the bundles in the main installer). N64 emulation is kinda crap though in general...

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 05:38:35 pm »
Cen64 will be the best Nintendo 64-emulator! <3 https://www.cen64.com/

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:59:02 am »
Is there any N64 emulator that supports scanlines?
You can use one of the Retroarch N64 cores, there are a number of shaders for scanlines.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 01:06:31 am »
Man... Finding a good N64 emulator is like pulling teeth. So far I've liked the UI of Project64 the best but that one still suffers from the same thing as every other N64 emu I've tried: condemnation to "plugin hell".

From what I can tell, as of 2017, N64 emulation is about two stages above a bag of shit.

I dare anyone here to try and play Gauntlet Legends. >:D

EDIT: And I keep getting the feeling that once upon a time someone made a shitty, backwards, sub-par N64 emulator and every N64 emulator since then has just been a hack of that stone-age relic instead of a legit build from the ground up.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:58:00 am by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 04:52:04 am »
Man... Finding a good N64 emulator is like pulling teeth.

Imma quote myself right now... :D

Mupen64plus is currently the best emulator out there, but it's also available in Retroarch, while Bizhawk is good for making Tool Assisted Speedruns.
http://www.retroarch.com/

And you should use Retroarch for all your other systems cause once you're used to it, it's great. Sure, Mupen64plus isn't bsnes but it works well, and if it can be used to make console-verified TASes (with the Bizhawk implementation), that's good enough for me. 8)

Having said that, Bizhawk may be more your style:
http://tasvideos.org/Bizhawk/N64.html

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 06:18:33 am »
And you should use Retroarch for all your other systems cause once you're used to it, it's great. Sure, Mupen64plus isn't bsnes but it works well, and if it can be used to make console-verified TASes (with the Bizhawk implementation), that's good enough for me. 8)

Having said that, Bizhawk may be more your style:
http://tasvideos.org/Bizhawk/N64.html

Aw man. And I just came out the other side of plugin hell with PJ64... And survived! It's like Christmas.

I'm new to N64 emulation. I never imagined that my old comp would be fast enough to run N64 games so I never even tried 'til the other night. I figured if it couldn't handle Sega Saturn games it wouldn't have any hope for the N64. Maybe it's just because the SS architecture is so unfriendly. *shrugs shoulders*

I got off to a rough start because two of the first games I wanted to get lined out were Turok and Gauntlet Legends. Good lord, GL was a bitch. I didn't have near as much trouble with the two Castlevanias (which are some of my favorite games ever). Those were the four games I wanted to focus on first. Rage Wars is next.

I'm ready to rock now. I've even replaced the analog sticks in my N64 controllers and got a USB adapter so I can play with the real thing. The first Castlevania is almost easy now after being used to those original, worn out sticks. LOL The camera is still one of your greatest adversaries some times but at least Legacy of Darkness doesn't have that problem. Plus it's great that PJ64 has all those built in cheats. It was a blast being able to play as Carrie in levels that were only in Cornell, Reinhardt and/or Henry's games.

WebSlinger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 02:51:50 pm »
For some strange reason, project64 crashes me PC to the BOD.. Even after upgrading my CPU and graphics card, and RAM, it still crashes me PC...
I'm running Win7 64-bit system, which is weird cause when I had Windows xp SP3 on here, the emulator ran smoothly and awesome.

My card:

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 03:42:57 pm »
There's also "m64p" (mupen64plus + GLideN64 + a GUI):

"This is likely the most compatible N64 emulator you’re going to come across. It can play games like Resident Evil 2, Rogue Squadron, Pokemon Snap, and World Driver Championship “out-of-the-box” (without the need to fiddle with settings, plugins or anything of the sort)."

https://m64p.github.io/

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 04:53:56 pm »
It's funny, I answered the OP's question without really going into the topic myself. After dabbling in it, I've now come to the conclusion that there is no good answer regarding N64 emulation. :( Seems like Mupen64plus is better for some games, Project64 better for others, even 1964 is used for some things (like 60fps mouse+keyboard GoldenEye, which kicks some serious ass). We're a long way from Cen64 being the Bsnes of N64 emulation, so it looks like there's no really good answer here.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 05:57:26 pm »
It's funny, I answered the OP's question without really going into the topic myself. After dabbling in it, I've now come to the conclusion that there is no good answer regarding N64 emulation. :( Seems like Mupen64plus is better for some games, Project64 better for others, even 1964 is used for some things (like 60fps mouse+keyboard GoldenEye, which kicks some serious ass). We're a long way from Cen64 being the Bsnes of N64 emulation, so it looks like there's no really good answer here.

Which is why I went ahead and got an Everdrive 64. I got sick of constantly having to configure and reconfigure settings and plugins and sometimes having the emulator crash and sometimes having it not behave properly again unless I went so far as to restart my computer. Having to find the perfect settings for each game was a serious pain in the ass. From now on I'm using N64 emulators just for the debugging features. It's a shame because some of these games look better than would even be possible on real hardware.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 11:20:43 pm »
Angrylion is about as accurate as you get, which is to say nearly pixel-perfect output.  There's a few things missing, one of which everyone's rather hot to remove anyway.  The issue here is that there's a direct correspondence between accuracy and system requirements.  It's basically required for a small subset of titles that directly interface with the framebuffer, such as Sim City 64 and Polygon Studio.

HLE was designed to allow systems that otherwise had no chance of emulating the N64 to do so.  It's all about concessions.  HLE is the reason win98 computers back in the day and phones now can run these things decently.  Nintendo uses HLE too, and it provides a handy feature: resource swapping at runtime.

The only emulator that does the cache is Cen64.  It's LLE only, no plugins, and output is built off angrylion.  Passes all the RSP and RDP tests made so far.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 10:56:17 pm »
Right now I am using Project 64 with the "Best" plugins that I could find.
Configuration is never fun as some games just never play no matter what I setup.
My biggest gripe is getting Castlevania 64 and Legacy Of Darkness to play perfectly. I do a lot of recordings and Castlevania is one of the best ones I have done. But to this day when I do anything with N64 regarding recordings. I break out the old system and play on the actual hardware.
The only game that seems to run the best is Zelda - Ocarina Of Time. But I do find with the more powerful Desktop builds the better Project 64 will run. But in the end most of the games will be out of sync with the music or have graphics missing or not run at all.
The other emulators that I have run are usually not much better or even worse. I am going to look into the SD Converter though I hear it's up there in price but well worth it.
The N64 is one of the few systems I still have in physical format and that pretty much says in my opinion the N64 hasn't mastered the emulation scene just yet.

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 02:40:39 am »
I think half the problem is the entitled plug and play generation. :)

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 03:50:44 am »
Project 64 gets about 60-75% of the games correct. Sm64, zelda64 are good. Goldeneye is not.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 03:59:02 am »
I think half the problem is the entitled plug and play generation. :)

They suffered through plug and pray and now want something better?

Anyway I wonder why N64 emulation is still so iffy like this. Is it all a legacy of initial forays into uncharted territory and being held together with chewing gum and twine still being the basis for today, is it just that the N64 was such a failure but also a bit of a pain that nobody cares to sort it or is it actually a pain that benefits from plugin hell.