News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Pokemon Red and Blue Color Hack updated to v1.2  (Read 6028 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Pokemon Red and Blue Color Hack updated to v1.2
« on: July 27, 2017, 01:41:50 am »

Update By: Drenn

The aptly-named Pokemon Red/Blue Color Hack gives you what it says on the tin: fully colorized versions of Pokemon Red and Blue.

Some may be aware that, in fact, Pokemon Red and Blue did have some color when played on a Super Gameboy. However, the Super Gameboy's colorization capability was extremely limited, being unable to assign separate colors to the background and sprite layers, among other limitations. This hack, targeting the Gameboy Color, does not have these limitations. As you can see in the screenshots, this colorization is akin to the gen 2 games.

This hack also optionally replaces the pokemon sprites with gen 2 equivalents, since some of the gen 1 spritework was... questionable. The battle UI has also been ported from the gen 2 games. However, the patch is available in a "vanilla" variant for those who prefer the original spritework and battle UI.

Previous versions of this hack were plagued by graphical corruption bugs. After much headbanging and many headaches, these bugs have been fixed. It has been tested extensively on a real gameboy, and the bugs have not resurfaced. However, it must be noted that the VBA emulator has issues with this hack. VBA-M works, though, as do the more accurate emulators such as BGB.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Pokemon Red and Blue Color Hack updated to v1.2
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 02:30:24 pm »
Why no love for Yellow? :(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:04:24 am by ShadowOne333 »

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 05:39:37 pm »
Why no love fo Yellow? :(
I toyed with the idea, but I wasn't in the mood after sacrificing the last 2 weeks of my life on this. Perhaps some other time. =P

Though, Yellow does have a "gen 2 graphics" hack, which I don't believe has been uploaded here. Not as good as full color, but still an improvement.
Zeldahacking.net: The hub for Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons hacking. We have a discord!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:12:06 pm »
Looks good, gonna load this into my 3DS and play later tonight.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:37:31 pm »
I toyed with the idea, but I wasn't in the mood after sacrificing the last 2 weeks of my life on this. Perhaps some other time. =P

Though, Yellow does have a "gen 2 graphics" hack, which I don't believe has been uploaded here. Not as good as full color, but still an improvement.
Yeah, yellow had to be the oddball of the bunch sadly, though I'd love to see it getting a full color patch sometime.

Og yeah I actually have the Gen 2 patch + Thunder Yellow installed in my ROM, I even posted in the thread of the Gen 2 patch asking about a fully colorized Yellow patch too  ;D

ulieq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 10:48:06 pm »
The tenacity of Pokemon and Mario hackers amazes me.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 10:48:54 pm »
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 11:15:07 pm »
The tenacity of Pokemon and Mario hackers amazes me.
If only a tiny bit of that tenacity would also apply to the Zelda scene...

Zeldahacking.net: The hub for Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons hacking. We have a discord!

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 01:41:25 am »
Why no love fo Yellow? :(
Right? Yellow is my fav. We can only wish...

Paar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 04:43:35 am »
This is great work. A big improvement.

I have some remarks:

1. It would be nice if you could redraw NPCs that are in the background and replace them with proper sprites. Background has grey outlines instead of the black and it stands out. But I understand that it's not simple to do.
2. The very beginning is not colorized when Gamefreak text shows up along with copyrights (in the original there is yellow color around the text when used with Super Gameboy). Is it intentional?
3. In the title screen I think I prefer a little darker outline in the Pokemon logo (as in Gold/Silver or Ruby/Sapphire).

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:50:11 pm by Paar »