News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Arcana - Seal of Rimsala! (SNES)  (Read 110654 times)

galneon

• View Profile
Re: Arcana - Seal of Rimsala! (SNES)
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2020, 12:38:44 am »
Does the game seem like it was balanced with the intention of the player always using the best weapons available to them? If it does, I can pretend there's no problem and always equip the party properly. If not, I will have to hold off till the next update as I don't want to play as Rooks the unarmed card monk.

Sarah Shinespark

• Creator of Arcana: Seal of Rimsala
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2020, 11:17:07 pm »
Yeah, barefisted also has a good crit rate. The downside is that you don't get a damage bonus for race (like Wightslayer/Dragon Blade), and you have to forego his heals and Call X Spirit spells. His Call spells have no backfire chance, high accuracy and the 2nd highest spell power in the game. I get that it can make the optimal strategy boring, but it also really helps new players that don't know see the hint to bring an extra weapon along. I'm more interested in making the game accessible; I can make a hardtype if there's demand for that. (Keep in mind I have a very evil design in mind for a hardtype)

Runs fine on a Super UFO!
Not sure if it is "fixable", but if you reorganize spells that only sticks until the character is "swapped out".  Switching the spirits throws away any changes made to their spell order.
Great to hear it runs on real hardware! And yeah, the game overwrites the spell lists instead of saving them elsewhere. That would take an ASM fix and testing.

galneon

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2020, 01:30:48 am »
I'd be interested in a hardtype if not for the nigh-interminable final dungeon of the vanilla game. :P I imagine you've already made it much more bearable in SoR, though, and since I haven't played regular SoR yet, I should probably do that before potentially creating more work for you. ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:38:04 am by galneon »

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2020, 09:47:19 pm »
Yeah vanilla final dungeon is pretty rough without Fog Cards or good shields. (3rd slot equipment have magic defense).
Other thing though is that in vanilla you only get hit with Sleep. There's also Confuse which can interrupt your turn with self-damage. Paralyze and Petrify don't wear off after battle, prevent action, and Petrify also makes you take damage every turn; needs the Revitalize/Unpetrify spell, or Moon Oil/Maiden's Tears, or a Tent to restore the status. So I have the ability to make things much worse  :D

Not to mention making the maps harder to navigate, or removing the Map option so you have to use graph paper on new maps  >:D

RetGal

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2020, 02:43:26 am »
Not to mention making the maps harder to navigate, or removing the Map option so you have to use graph paper on new maps  >:D

And do not forget to close every inn, so you need to beat the game in one sitting  :angel:

galneon

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2020, 12:47:18 am »
And do not forget to close every inn, so you need to beat the game in one sitting  :angel:

Like myself, and most others, wouldn't abuse savestates to get around that :P

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2020, 06:57:17 pm »
Like myself, and most others, wouldn't abuse savestates to get around that :P

Oh just pretend you're speedrunning on stream, you'll be fine lol.

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2020, 10:54:58 pm »
Short update today but I had fun researching this, I found where boss locations and what enemy is used, is stored. So now I could move any map boss fight in Ch1-3. (Ch4-5 bosses all start with dialogue triggers rather than boss triggers, and are stored elsewhere.) These data tables were added to the ROM map.

I also tidied up the Save data page added a few things and corrected some byte ranges.

Cureless

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2020, 07:30:00 pm »
That's pretty cool, Sarah! Could be very useful.

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2020, 01:28:33 pm »
Just saw the equip screen for FF4 Ultima, and oh man I'm jealous! I want to redraw the status and equip screens for SOR and show more of the hidden stats. Weapons have crit rate, element, race bonus (extra damage vs Undead, Dragons, Medusas, Giants). Armors have race defense bonuses (take less) and elements, and 3rd slot armors have magic defense. Would need to move some code around to make room I'm sure, but I can't help but wonder how I'd want it arranged. Probably cut the entries in each Equipment page to 6 instead of 8. For the status screen, there should be a function that reads the character element and prints it like with the spirits; I could write a similar copy that reads their equipped weapon's element instead.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2020, 07:31:54 pm »
That would be a great addition. Anything that can be done to cut down on having to look up information online while I play an RPG is good.

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2020, 11:37:47 pm »
Right? That's why I wanted to help add a bestiary to FF6 Brave New World, but BTB likes old school printouts.

There's some hangups to adding significantly more data to these screens though. There's limited real estate space, about 140x130 and 147x59 for the two windows.

Original status and equipment screens:

I can save a few lines by condensing the text. I *may* be able to eke out even more savings if I could make stat symbols (sword, shield) in the font. HP and MP are too long to fit on one line together, so unless I went with an unpopular smaller font change or removed current HP/MP, 3 lines is all I'm gonna be saving on the top panel.

For the bottom panel, I'd like to add the weapon crit rate and magic defense... but I can't think of an elegant way to place them. ALSO there's another weapon byte (looks like a NEGATIVE strength modifier), and ALSO some weapons and armor and accessories cast spells. Might just keep putting "this casts a spell" in the item description.

For the equipment screen (2nd picture), I was thinking it would be AMAZING if it displayed the description of the item you selected. (Normally to read the description, you have to go to sell the item. Not useful deep in a dungeon!) The bottom window is designed for this, so it would have to redraw the equipment if I wanted both the description and the atk/def section. Not sure how well that would work. Another thought is to draw a divider in the 7th row, and use the 8th row to put the character's Atk and Def values.

What are some of y'all thoughts? I'd love to hear input on stuff that could be feasible.
For reference, the status screen text is at $88C96A (4496A pc).

Mockup with grayed text

I added sixteen entries of 12 bytes to the free space at 46C30, for the sixteen combinations of damage flags (since Crystal Sword has all 4). So "Zombie", "Zombie/Dragn", "Zom/Drg/Mdsa" etc. If I can mimic a text-reading subroutine in the free space, all I have to do is call it on the current character's weapon race (which will be multiple steps, $1283,x for equipped weapon, then $85/E0E3,y for the weapon's race, then calling my new table for the text to display.)

Another mockup. I relocated the status screen (after spotting the start and end bytes with read breakpoints) to the end of the bank, so I have enough space to do whatever I want.

Mockup of the Equipment screen:

EDIT 10/17:
I did it! Crit rate is now displayed for all humans. ASM code splice follows.
Code: [Select]
New code at 80E030 (6030)
Save x/y registers
5A phy
DA phx

Loads character value
AE 3F 10 ldx $103F
BD C7 09 lda $09C7,x
22 60 F4 87 jsl $87F460

New at 87F460: Loads character offset (for getting their equipment)
I had to put this one line in a different section because it was in bank $87 versus bank $80.
20 F5 B0    jsr $B0F5
6B rtl

Call C6DC with x=0, y=character to get character's crit rate
AB tay
A2 00 00 ldx 0000
20 DC C6 jsr c6dc

Store in display buffer and continue with attack code
8D F1 16 sta 16F1
FA plx
7A ply
BD C3 11 lda 11c3,x
29 FF 00 and #$00FF
6B rtl

Here's the latest!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:58:51 am by Sarah Shinespark »

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2020, 09:46:04 pm »
Just submitted version 2.1a2!
Forgot to mention in the readme, but:
-Unequipped critical chance/magic defense reduced to 0. (Mdef without a shield is endgame level in vanilla, let's not have that!)
-The stat screen looks like rings influence critical chance, but they don't. (It'd be cool, but the game doesn't check anything for them yet!)

Otherwise, updates are as follows:
-New status screen with icons
-Status now shows magic defense and critical hit chance, that was a fun week of assembly  :beer:
-Bugfix: Spirit defense now scales with level (Ifrit Lv40 went from 90->134 defense so this is big!)
Thanks to RetGal for helping with the icons, and abw for the ASM help!

October 27, 2020, 01:15:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Version v2.1a9 is up  8)
I've been on a roll with programming changes!

Coding: Elemental equipment can now be viewed in the Status screen!
Graphics: New elemental icons!
Script: Spell text rewritten for more flavor.
Script: Attribute spells now show their element.
Balance: Reverted barehanded damage to vanilla.

Also, I'm adding some "printme" references to the next release. These will include info like enemy stats, spells, equipment and maps. They are all in PDF format to avoid display errors with viewing in text editors.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 01:15:54 pm by Sarah Shinespark »

PersianImm0rtal

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2020, 11:20:24 pm »
Thanks Sarah! I am going to patch this and start a new game  :thumbsup:

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2020, 04:29:36 am »
Wait, was that shield thing a vanilla bug?  Are shields detrimental in the vanilla game? O_O

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2020, 09:00:44 am »
Yeah, that's right. Unshielded gives $34 mdef (52 mdef) which is slightly better than the Spirit Gauntlet. Small Shield gives you the worst mdef in vanilla... zero. How's that for a challenge? lol

Only shields in vanilla worth getting are Caesar Shield, Grand Shield and Moon Gauntlet... unless you need some extra physical defense at the cost of your magic defense.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:17:39 pm by Sarah Shinespark »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2020, 09:14:26 pm »
for the next patch, could you make it so that you can skip the New Game cut scene by pressing Start or A or something?
free sluffy

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2020, 09:26:32 pm »
I'll have to look into how the "traveling" cutscene skip works, but I think I can do that. It'd be amazing and would make testing easier, so I'm down. If I can learn more about keyboard inputs, I'd rather the menu be opened with X rather than A too.