News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Arcana - Seal of Rimsala! (SNES)  (Read 102728 times)

galneon

• View Profile
Re: Arcana - Seal of Rimsala! (SNES)
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2020, 12:38:44 am »
Does the game seem like it was balanced with the intention of the player always using the best weapons available to them? If it does, I can pretend there's no problem and always equip the party properly. If not, I will have to hold off till the next update as I don't want to play as Rooks the unarmed card monk.

Sarah Shinespark

• Creator of Arcana: Seal of Rimsala
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2020, 11:17:07 pm »
Yeah, barefisted also has a good crit rate. The downside is that you don't get a damage bonus for race (like Wightslayer/Dragon Blade), and you have to forego his heals and Call X Spirit spells. His Call spells have no backfire chance, high accuracy and the 2nd highest spell power in the game. I get that it can make the optimal strategy boring, but it also really helps new players that don't know see the hint to bring an extra weapon along. I'm more interested in making the game accessible; I can make a hardtype if there's demand for that. (Keep in mind I have a very evil design in mind for a hardtype)

Runs fine on a Super UFO!
Not sure if it is "fixable", but if you reorganize spells that only sticks until the character is "swapped out".  Switching the spirits throws away any changes made to their spell order.
Great to hear it runs on real hardware! And yeah, the game overwrites the spell lists instead of saving them elsewhere. That would take an ASM fix and testing.

galneon

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2020, 01:30:48 am »
I'd be interested in a hardtype if not for the nigh-interminable final dungeon of the vanilla game. :P I imagine you've already made it much more bearable in SoR, though, and since I haven't played regular SoR yet, I should probably do that before potentially creating more work for you. ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:38:04 am by galneon »

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2020, 09:47:19 pm »
Yeah vanilla final dungeon is pretty rough without Fog Cards or good shields. (3rd slot equipment have magic defense).
Other thing though is that in vanilla you only get hit with Sleep. There's also Confuse which can interrupt your turn with self-damage. Paralyze and Petrify don't wear off after battle, prevent action, and Petrify also makes you take damage every turn; needs the Revitalize/Unpetrify spell, or Moon Oil/Maiden's Tears, or a Tent to restore the status. So I have the ability to make things much worse  :D

Not to mention making the maps harder to navigate, or removing the Map option so you have to use graph paper on new maps  >:D

RetGal

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2020, 02:43:26 am »
Not to mention making the maps harder to navigate, or removing the Map option so you have to use graph paper on new maps  >:D

And do not forget to close every inn, so you need to beat the game in one sitting  :angel:

galneon

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2020, 12:47:18 am »
And do not forget to close every inn, so you need to beat the game in one sitting  :angel:

Like myself, and most others, wouldn't abuse savestates to get around that :P

Sarah Shinespark

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2020, 06:57:17 pm »
Like myself, and most others, wouldn't abuse savestates to get around that :P

Oh just pretend you're speedrunning on stream, you'll be fine lol.