News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Gil-Galad's ROM Hacking Projects  (Read 9060 times)

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
Gil-Galad's ROM Hacking Projects
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:39:31 am »
Unfortunately, my old hacking page got nuked in thread pruning because I wasn't paying attention to it for awhile. But now, I'm making it again and posting about update progress. I'm real close to releasing a game called Jikuu Yuden Debias which has been titled Space-Time Hero Debias. The game's script was translated by Steve Martin. Here are a few screen shots to show off.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:41:48 am by Gil Galad »
Homepage of Gil Galad || New Forum

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ”

reyvgm

• View Profile
Re: Gil-Galad's ROM Hacking Projects
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:50:15 pm »
Good luck!

Did you get the maps?

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 08:51:03 pm »
Sorry about the delay in response, I've been pretty busy lately. I just added the maps to the Jikuu Yuden Debias translation page on my website. Also, I requested beta-testing be added for help wanted. I then posted a ad for beta-testing. It should be up as soon as it's approved.

I've also been working on Asmik-kun Land as I got some of the script in from Iriliane. I may have some screen shots soon for that game.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ”

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:26:42 am »
I can make no guarantees due to my busier schedule, but I suppose I could test the game. I'm always pretty thorough when it comes that sort of thing.

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:13:08 am »
I can make no guarantees due to my busier schedule, but I suppose I could test the game. I'm always pretty thorough when it comes that sort of thing.

Thanks a lot for all your help so far. I have received those files that you gave me.

In other news, I have made significant progress on Asmik-Kun Land because the latest translator who has taken on this job has gotten a lot done. His name is Iriliane. I have updated my site and included some new screen shots for this work. Not much is left to do in this game. Perhaps another release will be coming soon?

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:23:06 am »
a game called Jikuu Yuden Debias which has been titled Space-Time Hero Debias.

I've already shared my view on this sort of thing in another thread, but if you've got space for it (no pun intended), I'd recommend using the title Debias: (The) Legendary Space-Time Hero. Space-Time Hero Debias sounds Engrishy to me.

Looks like an interesting game, though. The rest of the translation looks really good.

HTH
Sign THIS!

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 09:42:13 am »
I've already shared my view on this sort of thing in another thread, but if you've got space for it (no pun intended), I'd recommend using the title Debias: (The) Legendary Space-Time Hero. Space-Time Hero Debias sounds Engrishy to me.

Looks like an interesting game, though. The rest of the translation looks really good.

HTH

Yes, I agree your version sounds a lot better. I tried to find what Debias means and in my dictionary applications, there is no translation for it. I assume that means "legendary"? Not really sure. I always thought it was a name.

I might have space if I completely restructure the title screen. Because there are not enough tiles to add it to the small banner or whatever you call it. But wiping out "debias" and changing it would possibly give me enough tiles. I don't think ROM space will be a problem, just the tile space in the CHR-ROM.

I'll have to think about this some more. "Debias: Legendary Space-Time Hero" is going to be difficult to add.

Oh yeah, I sent you a message about Hanjuku Hero, did you receive it?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:57:11 am by Gil Galad »

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »

I like that font. That is a sweet font.

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 12:57:30 pm »
Haha. I'm glad that you like it. Are you the one that created the font? If so, I can credit you for it.

Unless you don't like it?

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 01:09:53 pm »
Haha. I'm glad that you like it. Are you the one that created the font? If so, I can credit you for it.

Unless you don't like it?

Hahaha. No, that is a great font. I didn't make it, either, just trying to give you a compliment man. :)

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 11:03:57 am »
I have made some serious progress in hacking Hanjuku Hero. I have everything done that isn't translated and updated my website with 6 new screenshots, although I'm going to show two here in this post. As it draws closer to completion, this game is becoming very playable and rather fun if you ask me.

In other news, beta testing for Debias: Legendary Space-Time Hero is getting close to being done. Pennywise has beaten the game and showed me a few places that needed some tweaks. And also, he made a scan of the manual, if someone would be so kind as to translate it, we would greatly appreciate it. Send me a message if you're interested.

Adventures in Asmik Land is done and ready to be beta tested. But I'm going to wait until I am finished with Debias first before moving on to this game.

UglyJoe

• smoke and mirrors
    • View Profile
    • ximwix.net/xb
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 08:39:45 pm »
Oooh, can't wait to play a translated Hanjuku Hero.  I can beat the first campaign, but I always run out of money on the second two.  Never figured out why (Shogun salaries?).

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 01:02:25 am »
I've been waiting to give that Hero game a real try for years... can't wait bud.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 02:47:28 am »
I've been waiting to give that Hero game a real try for years... can't wait bud.
So do I ! Another obscure squaresoft game that really looks appealing.

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 11:59:31 pm »
I picked up one of my long term disassembly projects and that is the FDS BIOS disassembly. There is a lot done so far, although I have a long way to go so I'm just doing a little bit at a time and taking it slow so that I don't misunderstand something. Primarily, the goal is to produce a disassembly that outputs the BIOS ROM CRC32 correct. And then at some point I can do some reprogramming, eventually. Although, no screen shots can be shown of this work at this time. I figured I would show a preview of the reset routine in the FDS BIOS. Although, I have way more done than this preview.

Here it is;  FDS BIOS Disassembly Reset Code

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 12:54:14 am »
Gil, I have dumped the FDS bios and documented a lot of it.  I never put it out anywhere because I didn't finish it.  But, I will send it to you if you like.  I'm currently working on my 2nd FDS project (1 licensed and 1 unlicensed) and what I've documented of the BIOS so far has been more than sufficient for knowing how to deal with both of them.

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 12:59:07 am »
Gil, I have dumped the FDS bios and documented a lot of it.  I never put it out anywhere because I didn't finish it.  But, I will send it to you if you like.  I'm currently working on my 2nd FDS project (1 licensed and 1 unlicensed) and what I've documented of the BIOS so far has been more than sufficient for knowing how to deal with both of them.

That sounds good to me. I'll take that information you have. Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it!

I know how to deal with FDS games as well but now this is a very detailed project with the BIOS. I have 3 FDS translation projects, 2 of them are done and 1 is getting really close. I've also ripped about 20 FDS NSFs out of various games.

Just let me know how you'd like to send it to me. Via email or other means is fine.

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 06:23:33 pm »
I haven't posted in a long time and just regained access to my account here. Also haven't been doing any ROM hacking either, probably about 2 years. I had to get my website back up which is 20 years old as of May of this year. I changed the layout because frames just doesn't jive well with a lot of viewer's PCs, cells, etc. The website still has a retro look to it, using closer to modern code to work well with most current browsers, except for Internet Explorer.

Honestly, I have no idea what I am going to do next after I work on my projects to solve problems. Then I can think about some newer content. I do have a few new things but no new translation hacks. Thanks to Xanathis for giving me hosting as well. The link is in my signature if it shows up in my post.

Mister Xiado

• Back from the dead, mostly.
    • View Profile
    • The Homepage of the Oldternet
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 06:47:53 pm »
Welcome back, and all that. For a simple site, nested menus work well. Say, 6 main sections, and a few subsections under each of those, viewable when looking at any of the sub-section pages. No need to go berserk with XML and CSS, unless you're using your site as a portfolio to seek employment. My host killed my domain without notice after nearly twenty years, and my current site used to just be a joke page from my main website. It works fine in every browser all the way back to Netscape Navigator 2, although you can't browse the site with it anymore due to the host blocking old browsers.
Current project: Blaster Master Meta Fight Alpha [NES]
The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
Youtube

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 07:57:43 pm »
Yeah, I really don't feel like making a lot of complicated code. It's really simple to add stuff to this site as well. I'm using HTML, CSS and Javascript, that is about it and all I need. All I'm doing here is my NES hobby stuff for the most part.

Thanks for the welcome back. Even when I was here, sometimes I wasn't very sociable at times. Maybe you can get your old site back up one day. My site looks like 1998, but also looks modern at the same time sort of.

I looked at your site and the background MID file is downloading in Chrome instead of playing.