News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Addendum patches  (Read 532 times)

andrewclunn

• View Profile
Addendum patches
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:46:58 am »
For addendum patches, is the standard process to apply the base hack first and then the addendum patch?  Or does the addendum patch contain the hack it's based on so that it can just be applies to the same unaltered game image?  Or worse, is there no standard practice for addendum hacks, and it's a case by case basis?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Addendum patches
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:22:21 am »
The whole point of the addendum patches is that the original hack still stays available and we don't get dramas and traumas when the improvements to said hacks maybe are not improvements, people get protective of their work, or it is one of those eye of the beholder situations.

To that end the addendum patch should not carry the base patch in most scenarios, certainly not big hacks/translations. The exceptions being if someone say made a bugfix hack in the assembly totalling a few bytes and you came along and made a font improvement hack nobody would get too bent out of shape if you have said asm hacks and note it as such in the readme.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:59:22 am »
I dunno, but the problem with doing addendum patches is that the base hack could change and the addendum patch may not work anymore. I think they should include the base hack.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:37:03 pm »
I dunno, but the problem with doing addendum patches is that the base hack could change and the addendum patch may not work anymore. I think they should include the base hack.

So the maker of the addendum should say precisely which version it applies to, including CRC32. And if it no longer applies, c'est la vie. I can perfectly understand why creators would not be pleased with someone taking their work and adding a few things. As someone who creates patches myself, it makes sense to have an addendum if someone wants to make a few changes to one of my patches. FAST6191 said it perfectly.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 05:12:39 pm »

If that is likely to happen then a workaround I picked up from video world is put the original zip of the patch/program in your zip.