News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Translations: Monster Party Famicom Prototype Translation Released!  (Read 1872 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

After countless hours of work, we present to everyone our completed translation of the Japanese prototype ROM, Monster Party. Shortly after the prototype ROM was released to the public, Pennywise began efforts to translate the game with Ryusui's help. In a short amount of time all of the text had been translated/localized, but the project was not yet considered complete.

Being an unfinished prototype, the goal was to add all the positive changes and "finish" the game. Due to a lack of time on Pennywise's part, that effectively killed the project until rainponcho came along and agreed to do all the necessary work to hack the game into a finished state. Please do keep in mind, that there will be at least one more update to the translation with the completed totem pole boss when time permits. Who knows when that'll be though.

So enjoy this lost relic of time for now!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

releasethedogs

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Monster Party Famicom Prototype Translation Released!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:59:21 pm »
stoked. One of my favorite games from when I was a kid. Thank you.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 01:27:48 am »
Intriguing: this game was already translated two years ago. I'm wondering about the differences, though I see there's been some bugfixing of sorts. Good job, nevertheless! :)

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:55:19 am »
Quote from: readme
Support the game industry by buying used games! Even if the money doesn't go to the developers directly, as the games become rare and harder to find, the price goes up, and people become more inclined to buy new releases "while they can!"

Never suggest this again. Ever. The last thing video games need are a tons of amateur collectors treating new releases as long term "investments" - artificially inflating the market will only lead to another market collapse, much like it did with comic books and sports trading cards. Tho I would find it amusing, to see the market flooded with "sealed games", that two decades from now are selling for pennies on the dollar.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 03:59:53 pm »
Pennywise had a bloody font planned right..? I'd be cool if he publically released that for other hacks to use *cough*Lamross in Hell*cough*

@w1ck3d Years ago, I found Pokemon games being sold for 3 USD in huge bundles... Know how much they sell for now? 20 USD. I hate the collector's market... I miss buying old games at dirt cheap prices...

Isao Kronos

• Kiss From A Rose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 05:32:29 pm »
idk the used game market benefits me usually

like sure i could've craigslisted Path of Radiance but still i traded it to gamestop for more credit than i bought it for

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 06:11:40 pm »
Intriguing: this game was already translated two years ago. I'm wondering about the differences, though I see there's been some bugfixing of sorts. Good job, nevertheless! :)

Generally speaking, if there's another translation out there of the same game, mine is always going to be better.

Pennywise had a bloody font planned right..? I'd be cool if he publically released that for other hacks to use *cough*Lamross in Hell*cough*

@w1ck3d Years ago, I found Pokemon games being sold for 3 USD in huge bundles... Know how much they sell for now? 20 USD. I hate the collector's market... I miss buying old games at dirt cheap prices...

M-Tee, who contributed the title screen, also developed a few fonts that just weren't great for dialogue no matter how cool they were. His stuff, not mine and I frankly don't care.

I'm also very interested in translating the prototype for Strider, which appeared around the same time as Monster Party. I was reading up on it and the guy wanted to do a repro with the game fully hacked and translated. I think he might've even tried to recruit me, but I think I declined him. Not sure if he ever completed his hack... But I know a great translator who would probably translate just because of the intro alone.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 08:29:25 pm »
Don't think I'm going to be the one to backport fixer'up Strider. So much more time I don't want to spend on it anymore; a whole mess load of bugs. Which I haven't officially fixed any yet. And not your "simple" Monster Party type of copy-paste.

Largely stopped enjoying romhacking outside of personal hacks. Helping others with simpler hacks has been a mild exception so far.

edit: Although that lately is ramming into its limits also. But if I enjoy it, it gets me through.

edit2: Same for Wizardry Gaiden cleanups. Just can't motivate myself to use my fun time to keep working on them. Gave up on them due to mental decline.

edit3: Sorry to all about this.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:58:35 pm by rainponcho »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 09:08:17 pm »
No worries about Strider. I wasn't planning on working on it until at least another few years.

I kinda ran into this pitfall of starting a bunch of projects when I had lots of free time, and now that I have much less free time, it's been hard finding time to work on everything. Mind you, I maybe have 10 active projects at the moment, which is nothing compared to others, but damn is it overwhelming.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 06:58:30 pm »
from readme: "Support the game industry by buying used games! Even if the money doesn't go to the developers directly, as the games become rare and harder to find, the price goes up, and people become more inclined to buy new releases "while they can!""

o_O why would i want the prices of game to increase? $15/month for gamefly is already all i can afford unless i get lucky and find a game i want at a really cheap price. if anything the higher prices would likely discourage people from buying them more often.

plus, if the money from buying "used" games doesn't go back to the developer then those heightened prices won't help anyone. though it might encourage people to buy up games cheap then sell them at the higher prices. that scalping stuff i always hear about.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 07:54:24 pm »
Oh, boy not this used games in the readme thing again. I reuse readmes and this was something the translator Tom added when I worked with him on a translation years back and I never felt any need to remove or change it. I can get his attention and you all can argue with him if you want.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 02:57:51 am »

Assuming those were real and not cheap Chinese bootleg carts (which might not even save making them relatively pointless), the other reason is both a combination of demand (it's one of those games where supply is high but so is demand) and also people buying carts with dead batteries to replace and resell.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Arasoi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:44:00 am »
I think he might've even tried to recruit me, but I think I declined him. Not sure if he ever completed his hack... But I know a great translator who would probably translate just because of the intro alone.

Quite the opposite, actually. =)

Congrats on a great release!