News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros - The Movie Game (Super Mario Bros. 2 hack)  (Read 2844 times)

KirkyMonster

• View Profile

Title in Progress

Playable Characters = Mario Mario, Luigi Mario, Toad "in Mushroom and Goomba forms", Daisy

Strap on your belt Kid!

The Dinosaur excavation site that's been flooded by Scapelli

Doorway between Worlds, sometimes you just gotta believe Mario.

DinoHattan or the Bronx after a rough couple weeks

Spike and Iggy dimwitted but dangerous

Where the heck are we?

Teeporage777

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • rom hacker of mario games
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros - The Movie Game (Super Mario Bros. 2 hack)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 10:49:08 pm »
dude, this is a really good idea i really like this.

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 11:01:30 pm »
Thank you very much. The main goal is to try and capture set pieces and events as closely as possible and Nintendo'ey as possible. The enemies will be based on those that were either mentioned or referenced in the movie first and foremost as well as trying to capture the dark urban city look while trying to replicate the neon signs as well. But there is still a ton of work to be done.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 11:30:09 pm »
This reminds me of a Project I had barely started a long time ago. It wasn't based on the movie but based on the secret ending after the credits when Iggy and Spike call their game, "The Super Koopa Cousins".
I was noodling with the idea of actually making The Super Koopa Cousins at some point but didn't think anyone liked the movie enough since it has such a bad rap.
(I thought the movie was pretty good.  :crazy:)
But now seeing this project I might at some point go back and try making it again.
(Not any time soon though, I have enough projects going on at once right now.  :thumbsup:)
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:37:55 pm »
I remember the scene you are talking about, and if you made a Super Koopa Cousins hack I would definitely have to try it.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:43:44 am »
I don't see goombas, or koopas. You can probably make one of them cobrats?

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 04:53:52 pm »
Interesting concept.

I have some ideas for you:

- Make Mario and Luigi look like Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo, and give them the outfits they had in the movie.  Then, either in the middle of the game, or 3/4 through the game, or by finding some special powerup, they change costumes into the Mario outfits that we are familiar with.

- I would also call it Super Mario Bros: The Movie Game, but that's just my personal preference.

- You can change the vegetables into things like wrenches and hammers.  You can change the POW block or use some way of having the players be able to do Princess Peach's hover (the rocket shoes they used in the movie).  Naturally, I wouldn't make Toad or Peach playable characters (I would remove them from the select screen), but this is your hack, and you should do it how you want it.

It is definitely an interesting concept, and I look forward to seeing more.

I can't get over how good SMB2 is as a base for making entirely different games.  This hack and SpiderDave's hack, are just a couple of very interesting concepts being made out of an existing game.  Nice work guys! :)

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 06:35:50 pm »
I don't think I can make Mario and Luigi look like Hoskins and Leguizamo, they already do have the outfits from the movie (look at the chest pockets and collars). I don't know how to make them have normal clothes for the first 3/4

I was thinking that was a better title and will change it to that.

I already added hammers and other things to replace the vegetables. I left the POW block as is because I've always been a fan. The Rocket shoes are in the game but not in the way you described. I went ahead and left Daisy as a playable character because she has a good amount of screen time and is a more important character in the movie then the games so I felt she deserved a little spot light as a playable character.

Thank you taking the time to reply and I'm not trying to shoot down any of your suggestions but like I said a lot of the ideas you shared are already implemented in the game just in a different way then you had suggested.

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 12:50:44 pm »
What a good rip for nes version, maybe you can improve colors pallete.

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 01:03:12 am »
NEW TITLE SCREEN

New Film strip character select screen instead of stage curtains

The Mario Bros. Apartment complete with family photo

Mario outside his Brooklyn apartment

Scapelli's trying to flood the Dinosaur fossil excavation site

Inside the excavation site

Solid Rock or a Doorway between worlds?

Dinohattan

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:12:06 am by KirkyMonster »

Teeporage777

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • rom hacker of mario games
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 02:04:13 am »
NEW TITLE SCREEN

New Film strip character select screen instead of stage curtains

The Mario Bros. Apartment complete with family photo

Mario outside his Brooklyn apartment

Scapelli's trying to flood the Dinosaur fossil excavation site

Inside the excavation site

Solid Rock or a Doorway between worlds?

Dinohattan

Freaking sweet man!!!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 11:09:21 am »
You could have done alot better job on toad and luigi. Lugi isn't supposed to have a moustache and his hat was supposed to be backwards. Toad could look like a goomba.

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 12:37:55 pm »
Toad has 2 forms like in the movie, there's a LOT of stuff that I'm purposely not posting pics of so people can have some surprises  :o when they play it.

One of my earlier posts I said I was going to include as many possible references to the movie and the characters included so expect to see a lot of classic characters to show up. The only characters that I don't think will make an appearance are Birdo and Ostro unfortunately. But every form of a Goomba and just about any Mario villain  with a Dino theme will make an appearance. Just be patient and look forward to being surprised, If I told everyone what exactly to expect then they probably wouldn't bother to give my hack a chance. Much like the movie though if you give it a chance and try and see where the inspirations came from for Game to Movie and then back to a Game you may be pleasantly surprised by another fun Mario adventure.

As for giving Luigi a backwards hat that is A GREAT idea that I probably would not have considered and will see what I can do. But Luigi just isn't Luigi without his mustache and Leguizamo seems to have a very thin mustache in the movie so I don't see it as necessary but maybe will try to come up with something again for a no mustache Luigi.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 01:07:49 pm »
Either way, Toad dont wear a cap in the movie. How do you plan to include Yoshi?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:15:48 pm by MathUser2929 »

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 01:13:13 pm »
It's his head lol

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 01:16:23 pm »
How do you plan to include Yoshi?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 02:13:37 pm »
Yoshi didn't have much of an appearance.
Birdo replacement maybe?

But you cannot NOT include "Bertha"? ;D
(though probably part of the reason she was so memorable was because of her HUGE breasts that would make anyone, especially at the time, say, Nintendo didn't even look at this movie before they allowed it, did they? :P )
Though regardless of that, she was at least relevant to the plot anyways (as she took "Daisy"'s (Toadstool/Peach renamed since the writers didn't like her official name) pendent from Mario).
Not sure if that or Commando Daisy was the more hilariously inappropriate character.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:21:32 pm by KingMike »
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 02:26:39 pm »
Bertha is in  :thumbsup: she was the first character I new had to be in the game for it to work so that's where the ball got rolling. Yoshi is relegated to the bonus game since he was such a minor character in the movie.

Commando Daisy is unfortunately not in the game but you never know she might have a cameo.  :thumbsup:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 05:26:11 pm »
I spose you could probably get away with making peach yellow to represent daisy. Change her blue color to brown.

KirkyMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 01:32:45 am »
Daisy will have updated sprites as well as palette changes.

July 20, 2017, 05:17:28 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I've already touched up the bonus room graphics to make the pipes look better and to utilize the black background color but here's Yoshi and Birdo in the bonus game collecting the Dino- Eggs that the heroes rescued throughout each level. This also at least in my head references the "Get your hands off my baby!" scene

Also notice Mario is holding a "Koopa-Coin"...... Lameo's  :P ...... just another small reference to the movie

As I was working on this project I stumbled across Super Mario Bros. 2 - Bowser edition hacked by Sephirous. I had the idea on my own and had the Bowser graphics in place though slightly shifted to the right and with a ugly graphical error that I wasn't sure could even be fixed. Before I even got started working on fixing my mistake I found Sephirous hack and saw that not only were the graphics correctly starting to the far left of the Wart sprite but his didn't have any glitches in the animation. So not only did his look better/ more accurate it also played better since Sephirous collision detection was more accurate then what I tried.
So I took the sprites from Sephirous hack of Super Mario Bros. 2 - Bowser edition and replaced my glitchy poor collision detection sprites and would like to give full credit for all the Bowser sprite work and figuring out the best way to replace the existing sprites of Wart.

July 20, 2017, 09:09:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:09:37 pm by KirkyMonster »