News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Translations: CRW Metal Jacket (PC-98) is now in English!  (Read 1422 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: CRW Metal Jacket (PC-98) is now in English!
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:52:55 pm »

Update By: hollowaytape

CRW Metal Jacket is a real-time strategy game in which you command a squad of mecha pilots battling against insurgents in futuristic Japan. As you complete each mission, you earn bonus points you can use to increase each pilot's stats, and unlock new weapons to add to their loadouts. It plays a bit like X-COM or Front Mission, and came out in late 1994, between the original release of those two series.

This is 46 OkuMen's third release for the PC-9800 series of computers, after E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution and Rusty.

We hope you enjoy it!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

SCO

• View Profile
Re: Translations: CRW Metal Jacket (PC-98) is now in English!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 01:09:37 am »
No hdi version of this game?

edit: guess i should have read the readme. Just because it wasn't tested doesn't mean the patcher will not run.

With the good amount of pc-98 games i'm hoping dosbox starts to emulate them well. Neko Project 2 is ok, but its usability is rather poor (expecially on retroarch).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:33:59 am by SCO »

kuoushi

• View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 04:13:11 am »
It is fairly simple to make an HDI of this game, but you'll first need to have an HDI with DOS 5.0 or later installed on it. From there, you boot into DOS, insert the system disk, navigate to the disk and type HDINST. This will start the installation process (which is basically just copying files from the floppy disks themselves to the hard drive). It'll prompt you to switch disks until it's done. To run the game, run the CRWHD.BAT from the hard drive (or make an autoexec.bat file to run it automatically).

You can also always use programs like EditDisk or ND to copy the files directly and bypass the installer.

Edit: To be clear, you don't have to do the above to play the game. This is just the process to install it to a hard disk image file. You can easily play the game directly from the floppy disk images.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:51:44 pm by kuoushi »

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 05:31:31 am »
Just to be clear, this is a Real Time tactics game, not a turn-based one, like Front Mission?

Edit: Yup, the ReadMe says it's "real-time", but "pausable".
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:52:08 am by xnamkcor »

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:26:33 am »
We finally get to see PC-98 games now translated to English. It has been a long time coming!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 12:13:30 pm »
With the good amount of pc-98 games i'm hoping dosbox starts to emulate them well. Neko Project 2 is ok, but its usability is rather poor (expecially on retroarch).
Is DOSBox moving to other computers?  I don't really stay on top of it or anything.

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 01:18:44 pm »
Not really. It has some different graphic drivers, tandy, pcjr but not pc-98 or other dos systems. I think it's a shame but understandable, with the way every other game seemed to customize their own version of DOS bundled in, on the pc-98.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 01:37:06 pm »
Does PC-98 use a IA-32/i386 CPU architecture? Does "DOS" run computers that don't use IA-32/i386? Does "DOSbox" aim to run games that ran on systems that ran "DOS" on non-IA-32/i386 systems?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:08:03 pm by xnamkcor »

getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 05:00:40 pm »
Loving the surge of progress~   8)

Sliver X

• Master of Ceremonies
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 08:15:52 pm »
Does PC-98 use a IA-32/i386 CPU architecture? Does "DOS" run computers that don't use IA-32/i386? Does "DOSbox" aim to run games that ran on systems that ran "DOS" on non-IA-32/i386 systems?

The PC-9800 line encompasses machines as varied as IBM PCs: They started in the early 80s with 8086 CPUs and the last ones in the early 2000s ran Pentium II based Celerons. The systems based on Pentiums and above, IIRC, used standard PC chipsets and such, but the ones based around earlier Intel CPUs that games like this ran on used an entirely different chipset. C-Bus instead of ISA, very different BIOS & I/O compared to PCs, etc.

The CPU emulation code in DOSBox would be about the only usable part for PC-98 emulation: Basically the entire auxiliary architecture would have to be emulated by someone. The reason DOS and Windows 3.11 can run on PC-9800 machines is because they were actually ported: They are not standard PC DOS/Win variants.

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 08:53:25 pm »
They're still dos though, and that is a opportunity for HLE.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 05:44:37 am »
Don't let the name "DOSbox" fool you. It's more of a i386 emulator with a DOS-like CLI interface. I don't think the real goal of DOSbox was to ever emulate "DOS", but to emulate the system which "DOS Games" were played.

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 08:09:16 pm »
I agree with that goal. In fact, i wish there was a version of wine that could be bolted 'on' a emulator to run single windows games without all that virtual machine OS nonsense. Winbox so to say. Wine by itself is fine more less bugs, but having it on a emulator would spread it out of its ghetto and gog would start selling 'awkward' windows games without major hacks and on other platforms too.

Filesystem transparency, less possibility of a buggy 1990 FAT driver corrupting the disk image, device passthrough, not having to deal with 'boot' and autostart app if you want to do a 'click to play' etc.