News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: DSVania Randomizer  (Read 1587 times)

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
DSVania Randomizer
« on: June 27, 2017, 08:07:46 pm »
Hello! I just released the first version of my randomizer for the DS Castlevania games, DSVania Randomizer.

You can download it here:
https://github.com/LagoLunatic/dsvrandom/releases/latest

It has options to randomize:
  • Items/Skills
  • Enemy Locations
  • Enemy Drops
  • Boss Souls
  • Item Stats/Behavior
  • Skill Stats/Behavior
  • Shop Items
  • Wooden Chest Items
  • Villagers
  • Weapon Synthesis
  • Enemy Stats

As well as some buggy, experimental options:
  • Players
  • Boss Locations
  • Area Connections
  • Room Connections
  • Starting Room
  • Enemy AI
  • Skill Sprites
  • Enemy Animation Speed

It also comes with several optional game tweaks, such as fixing bugs from the original games, opening the world map in OoE, and revealing the locations of all breakable walls.

It's been in beta testing for a couple months, so most noteworthy bugs should be ironed out, and the game should always be completable.
Except for the experimental options - those are still very buggy and most seeds are unwinnable with those on.

If the program isn't launching for you make sure the path you put the program in doesn't have any unicode characters in it, only normal ASCII characters work. Also try both the normal (32-bit) version and the 64-bit version.

If you think you've gotten stuck in the game and can't progress, you should first check the FAQ in the readme, which mentions some tricks you may need to get past certain spots.

Any bug reports/feedback would be much appreciated.
When reporting a bug, you should also tell me the seed, randomizer version number, and all the options you checked so I can reproduce it. The easiest way to do that is to copy paste the relevant entry from the spoiler log (located at /logs/spoiler_log.txt), which lists all of those.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:18:28 pm by LagoLunatic »

Lavama

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Randomizer
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:34:35 am »
Hey, you've done an amazing job with this, and I love the pure absurdity of the randomness. However I seem to of ran into an issue that makes it to where I can-not proceed in Path of Radiance. I've tried going to the issues link you've included in the About section on the randomizer launcher, but it just comes to a 404 page.How should I continue about providing the information on the seed? I can provide the name and the spoiler log, and the save if you'd like, but I'm unsure how to do the save.

Spoiler:
Seed: AmalaricEuropa'sNyx, Game: Portrait of Ruin, Randomizer version: 1.0.0
Selected options: randomize_pickups, randomize_enemies, randomize_enemy_drops, randomize_boss_souls, randomize_shop, randomize_wooden_chests, randomize_villagers, randomize_enemy_stats, randomize_starting_items, name_unnamed_skills, unlock_all_modes, reveal_breakable_walls, fix_first_ability_soul, no_touch_screen, fix_luck, unlock_boss_doors, fix_infinite_quest_rewards, dont_randomize_change_cube, open_world_map, always_dowsing
Randomizing pickups:
Placing main route progression pickups:
  Placing pickup 01B3 (double_jump) at 01-00-03_01 (City of Haze)
  Placing pickup 01B0 (acrobat_cube) at 05-02-0B_00 (Nation of Fools)
  Placing pickup 0178 (owl_morph) at 03-00-14_00 (Sandy Grave)
  Placing pickup 004E (cog) at 00-07-16_00 (hidden) (Tower of Death)
  Placing pickup 0179 (sanctuary) at 00-08-0D_00 (Tower of Death)
  Placing pickup 01AE (skill_cube) at 08-02-15_00 (Dark Academy)
  Placing pickup 01B1 (push_cube) at 06-01-07_09 (Burnt Paradise)
  Placing pickup 01B5 (strength_cube) at 08-02-03_00 (Dark Academy)
Placing leftover progression pickups:
  Placing pickup 0151 (puppet_master) at 07-00-0B_00 (hidden) (Forest of Doom)
  Placing pickup 0177 (toad_morph) at 01-02-07_00 (City of Haze)
  Placing pickup 01B4 (superjump) at 02-02-03_02 (13th Street)
All progression pickups placed successfully.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:07:11 pm »
Hey, you've done an amazing job with this, and I love the pure absurdity of the randomness. However I seem to of ran into an issue that makes it to where I can-not proceed in Path of Radiance. I've tried going to the issues link you've included in the About section on the randomizer launcher, but it just comes to a 404 page.How should I continue about providing the information on the seed? I can provide the name and the spoiler log, and the save if you'd like, but I'm unsure how to do the save.

Spoiler:
Seed: AmalaricEuropa'sNyx, Game: Portrait of Ruin, Randomizer version: 1.0.0
Selected options: randomize_pickups, randomize_enemies, randomize_enemy_drops, randomize_boss_souls, randomize_shop, randomize_wooden_chests, randomize_villagers, randomize_enemy_stats, randomize_starting_items, name_unnamed_skills, unlock_all_modes, reveal_breakable_walls, fix_first_ability_soul, no_touch_screen, fix_luck, unlock_boss_doors, fix_infinite_quest_rewards, dont_randomize_change_cube, open_world_map, always_dowsing
Randomizing pickups:
Placing main route progression pickups:
  Placing pickup 01B3 (double_jump) at 01-00-03_01 (City of Haze)
  Placing pickup 01B0 (acrobat_cube) at 05-02-0B_00 (Nation of Fools)
  Placing pickup 0178 (owl_morph) at 03-00-14_00 (Sandy Grave)
  Placing pickup 004E (cog) at 00-07-16_00 (hidden) (Tower of Death)
  Placing pickup 0179 (sanctuary) at 00-08-0D_00 (Tower of Death)
  Placing pickup 01AE (skill_cube) at 08-02-15_00 (Dark Academy)
  Placing pickup 01B1 (push_cube) at 06-01-07_09 (Burnt Paradise)
  Placing pickup 01B5 (strength_cube) at 08-02-03_00 (Dark Academy)
Placing leftover progression pickups:
  Placing pickup 0151 (puppet_master) at 07-00-0B_00 (hidden) (Forest of Doom)
  Placing pickup 0177 (toad_morph) at 01-02-07_00 (City of Haze)
  Placing pickup 01B4 (superjump) at 02-02-03_02 (13th Street)
All progression pickups placed successfully.

The issues link should point here, but you can just post in this thread if you want, either way's fine.

Where specifically are you stuck in that seed? I played through most of it and didn't see any issues. If you can't find where to enter the tower of death, you need to use the upper entrance after getting owl morph, located here.

Having your save file might help, depending on the issue. If you're playing on DeSmuME you can find the save file in the "Battery" folder inside DeSmuME's folder, with the name "PoR AmalaricEuropa'sNyx.dsv".

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 09:45:46 pm »
Is it just me or do the randomized item/equipment stats seem a little too over powered? Even with enemy stats randomized I mostly just cut through enemies like butter. Very fun though, albeit just not terribly challenging.
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Dev Anj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 10:52:59 pm »
Have you got to the late game of OoE yet? In my experience the enemy combinations there tend to be quite challenging even with overpowered glyphs.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 10:21:54 am »
Is it just me or do the randomized item/equipment stats seem a little too over powered? Even with enemy stats randomized I mostly just cut through enemies like butter. Very fun though, albeit just not terribly challenging.

I agree, I should nerf item/skill stats. They definitely make the game too easy right now, except sometimes at the start of a run when you haven't found anything good. IFrames especially is overpowered, one weapon with very low iframes can carry you through the whole game even if its damage is poor.

I'm also planning to add detailed difficulty options at some point so the player can make various things harder or easier, like decreasing the average weapon attack and increasing average enemy stats for example.

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 05:08:56 pm »
Have you got to the late game of OoE yet? In my experience the enemy combinations there tend to be quite challenging even with overpowered glyphs.

Funny you should mention that; my current seed became a joke the instant I got Hasta, its union is Nitesco,and from what I can gather it's Lightning, Dark and Ice element, takes 3 hearts to use with Queen of Hearts on and it melts through everything. Started fresh at level 1 and am playing on hard. I get that Nitesco is absurdly powerful even normally but yikes, 3 hearts makes it a usable Normal attack, not a union.

Even before that Culter was my starting glyph and surprisingly its Union was still Culter but while that attack did like 2 damage the union did 68 a hit for however many hits it does... not sure since nothing ever survived it. Got Hasta shortly after the prison... all I can really say is the random stats just make things too easy, still fun but too easy.

Fun fact: Spoiled Milk is my Magical Ticket... sounds about right.
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 06:23:21 pm »
Just released v1.1! It adds difficulty levels and options so the game isn't quite so easy. Right now just easy and normal, but I plan to add more in the future and probably tweak easy and normal as well.

It also fixes a number of bugs, and adds a very silly new visual randomization option that shuffles skill sprites:

Czarcasm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 09:50:51 pm »
Been trying out randomizers lately and would like to try this one, but it is being flagged for malware be my antivirus (Avast) and testing it on virustotal gets a result of 8/63 for positive tests.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 07:38:50 pm »
Been trying out randomizers lately and would like to try this one, but it is being flagged for malware be my antivirus (Avast) and testing it on virustotal gets a result of 8/63 for positive tests.

It's just a false positive, don't worry about it. None of my testers have reported anything weird happening with it.

If you don't trust random people on the internet, which is understandable, then program is open source so you can simply run the program from source yourself and you won't have to worry about running an executable. Just be aware that doing this for the first time is more work than simply running the executable, and it'll take you some time to get it set up. If you want to, here's how you can do it:
  • Download and install Ruby 2.3.3 from here
  • Also download the devkit from that same page.
  • Extract the devkit to C:\Ruby23\DevKit. Open that folder in a command prompt and run "ruby dk.rb init" followed by "ruby dk.rb install" (without the quotes)
  • Download the DSVEdit source code and the DSVRandom source code. Then put the dsvrandom folder into the DSVEdit folder (you need to do this because the randomizer shares some code with DSVEdit).
  • Go to the DSVEdit folder in a command prompt and run "gem install bundler" then "bundle install" (without the quotes).
  • Then the program should be set up! To run it just open the dsvrandom folder up in the command prompt and run "ruby dsvrandom.rb" (no quotes)

Let me know if you run into any issues.

SinWorld

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 09:52:55 pm »
Is it possible to make a randomizer for the Japanese version of Dawn of Sorrow, please? :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:32:14 pm by SinWorld »

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 03:13:36 pm »
Is it possible to make a randomizer for the Japanese version of Dawn of Sorrow, please? :)

Sorry, but I'm not planning to do that. Supporting 3 different games is hard already and I don't think there's any benefit to supporting the japanese versions.