News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Last Bible 3 Translation Project  (Read 2873 times)

Tom

• View Profile
Last Bible 3 Translation Project
« on: June 21, 2017, 07:47:26 am »
I've been working on translating Last Bible 3, along with DDStranslation (the hacker) and Flash PV (the font and icon editor).

I thought I should share some WIP footage, since the project is progressing well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQmRJ6WOioQ

DDS increased the text printing speed, so the text doesn't slow to a crawl like in the Japanese version. I've also added slight pauses at commas and periods, to make the dialogue flow as it had been spoken out loud. (Maybe most people won't care about this, but as an auditory thinker, I really like this effect.)

Anyway, the project is in good shape so far. I'll balance out its progress along with my other projects. I know there's not much of a demand for the Last Bible games, but I've always been a big fan, so I'll see it through to the end.

Hope you guys enjoy the footage. Sorry for the poor-quality recording. It's the best I can do.

Blackiris

• View Profile
Re: Last Bible 3 Translation Project
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:10 am »
I've been excited about this for a while. I've yet to play a Last Bible game, but I enjoyed the other SMTs for SNES and am a fan of the franchise, so these games were on my list, too.

I've also added slight pauses at commas and periods, to make the dialogue flow as it had been spoken out loud. (Maybe most people won't care about this, but as an auditory thinker, I really like this effect.)
I care! A lot, actually. I really dislike it when dialogues in games are just presented without any form of stylization or flow, it makes them much less attactive for me. I love the Trails in the Sky games that utilize pauses, sound effects, different text sizes and other effects. It makes the already excellent dialogues even livelier. Whenever I play a modern game with the most basic dialogue system possible, I invariably feel disappointed.

Video footage looks good! Great work so far, I'm looking forward to future updates. :)

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 09:18:13 am »
Glad I could spark some interest in the series. It's a little hard to say where you should begin, though. Let me say this, though. You shouldn't jump right in with part 3.

The original Last Bible was released in English as Demon Slayer, however the GBC and GB release of Last Bible weren't really that good (even in Japanese). When I played the first game in English, I thought the nearly nonsensical plot was a fault of poor localization, but I played the Japanese version later on, and I found that it was (aside from a few missteps like dollars instead of the makka sign) a rather faithful translation of a poor original script.

The Game Gear remake of the first Last Bible is the BEST way to play the first game in the series, however, it hasn't been translated yet. (I plan to get around to it eventually.) The script was thoroughly revised and expanded to include much more detailed exposition, and plot developments that actually make sense. It even continues beyond the GBC's "final battle" to show the true last boss of the game.

In order to fully enjoy LB3, it's not really necessary to play Last Bible 1... However, anyone who plans to play Last Bible 3 should definitely play Last Bible 2 first. (I recommend the GBC translation that I did with Esperknight and Prez years ago.) It will increase your enjoyment of LB3 substantially if you've played LB2 beforehand.

So I say start with LB 2, next play LB3, then wait for the ultimate version of LB1. As for Last Bible S, it can be played at any time, but if I can suggest anything, you should try to beat LB 2 first before LB S. If you skip 2 and go straight to S, it won't affect your enjoyment on a substantial level, though. LB S largely stands on its own.

And boy, I'm glad to hear that somebody else appreciates in-dialogue pauses! But keep in mind, this is only used for spoken lines, so if the dialogue window just shows what's written on a sign or in a book, or if some narrative / system text appears, that sort of text will be printed out in the standard way.

Mugi

• Sony-colored Glasses
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:30:48 am »
im definitely a fan of the in-dialogue pauses too (i use this on utawarerumono where the engine allowed it) and it's cool to see that someone else actually cares about that kind of things too :P
only thing i dont like in this project is that it eats time from zill's translation xD

no, really, awesome job !
In PSP we trust.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 09:56:51 am »
Don't worry, Zill O'll will get done, as will this game. :) I'm a big fan of both games, and I'll put the same amount of care into each one.

Mugi

• Sony-colored Glasses
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:06:05 am »
I'm hardly worried, you seem to have the same kind of passion and drive on your doings i do, which i was looking for.
that's the #1 thing for succesful projects :P
In PSP we trust.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:32:36 pm »
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious or whatever, but you don't have to record gameplay videos from an external camera. You can record videos on your computer with an emulator that lets you record videos.

Anyhow, nice progress and dds is the man!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 08:04:59 pm »
Sorry, I lack experience recording videos. The game is running on SNES9X here, which I think can record videos somehow, but I just have never used the feature before.

I generally record all gameplay with a camera out of habit. I apologize.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:13:52 pm »
There's nothing to apologize for. You're providing a courtesy for the fans by showing off your WIP work in video form, so whatever you're most comfortable with is fine.

IIRC, recording videos is a standard feature in most modern emulators these days and making videos is really easy, or should be.

But again, whatever you're most comfortable with is fine. They're just preview videos, it's not like they need to be 4K quality or anything.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:55:19 pm »
Sorry, I lack experience recording videos. The game is running on SNES9X here, which I think can record videos somehow, but I just have never used the feature before.

I generally record all gameplay with a camera out of habit. I apologize.
Indeed SNES9x does have a built-in recording feature. (or at least it should, the version I use for my recording does, I think it's 1.53-x64)
Although SNES9x doesn't play audio (and on my older computers, ran significantly slower) while recording, the output videos have turned out just fine (sound and game speed).
Though SNES9x auto-splits videos every 2GB (enough maybe 20-30 minutes or so of gameplay), so you may need another program (I use the basic Windows Movie Maker) to stitch them back together before uploading.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 09:10:39 pm »
Great to see about this project around here!

Surely will turn in something GREAT!

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 09:43:35 pm »
Well, have you checked out bizhawk? Its SNES core "uses v87 of bsnes (heavily modified)". Wiki.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:48:50 pm by ObiKKa »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 10:46:18 pm »
I'm old-fashioned and a bit lazy, I guess. The camera is the most familiar way for me. I'm the type of person who sticks with what he knows, even if it might not be the best method.

I guess that's why I'm just a translator and not a hacker.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 10:55:30 pm »
Looks great! I'm glad to see this game finally found its way to capable hands. :thumbsup:
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

TCgamerboy2002

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 02:55:36 am »
I believe the hard part of translating the Megami Tensei games is the demon negotiation. Some of the games don't get fan translations because of this. That's what I've heard anyways.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 10:31:34 am »
Thanks for the compliment, RedComet! DDS and FlashPV were great to work with on Tengai Makyou Zero. The three of us will be able to do this game justice, for sure!

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 10:36:08 am »
I've never heard of this series before. After looking into it I'm pretty excited to see this finished. Another SNES RPG I never got to play? Sign me up. Thank you Tom and everyone else involved.

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 03:14:48 pm »
I'm old-fashioned and a bit lazy, I guess. The camera is the most familiar way for me. I'm the type of person who sticks with what he knows, even if it might not be the best method.

I guess that's why I'm just a translator and not a hacker.

I'm not a big fan of built-in screen recording in emulators myself. I tend to use Microsoft Expression Encoder instead. IIRC it's free and records both audio and video.

BTW, the footage of LB3 looks great! I love the in-dialogue pauses. :3
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 04:07:21 pm »
DDS increased the text printing speed, so the text doesn't slow to a crawl like in the Japanese version. I've also added slight pauses at commas and periods, to make the dialogue flow as it had been spoken out loud. (Maybe most people won't care about this, but as an auditory thinker, I really like this effect.)

Good point. I've noticed that one of the games that I'm working on has the pauses, and it really does help to make the onscreen language flow better.  :thumbsup:

Hmmm ... I'll have to see about adding that into the Legend of Xanadu translations.

Blackiris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 04:48:04 pm »
Thank you for the elaborate answer, Tom! I'm actually starting to find playing games in Japanese a little easier lately, but I'd still always prefer a translation because it's just easier for me then to look up a word every couple of lines. I'm glad you've already translated Last Bible 2, so I'll probably tackle that one as my next SMT game before Deep Strange Journey comes out. :)

What would you say is the key different between Last Bible and the classic SMT games of the 8-/16-bit era? I've heard it's more akin to classic RPGs in terms of setting and difficulty.