News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Legendary Starfy [GBA]  (Read 16312 times)

pablitox

• View Profile
The Legendary Starfy [GBA]
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:52:19 am »

Intro

Surrounded by the vast sea there is a kingdom high above the clouds called Pufftop. Living there is Starfy, the prince of Pufftop. Starfy is often careless and clumsy in nature. Times were normally peaceful in Pufftop, until Starfy was carrying around valuable treasure and he accidentally dropped a jar into the ocean. Just then, the being inside the jar used his magical powers to create a terrible storm. Tornadoes then struck the Pufftop Palace. Starfy struggled to hang on, and eventually dropped into the ocean. Starfy fell straight into Lobber's Cave, located on a small island.

This is where the adventure begins

Densetsu no Starfy (伝説のスタフィー, according to the wiki Legendary Starfy or Legend of Starfy) is a Japan-only Game Boy Advance game released on September 6, 2002. It is the first game in The Legendary Starfy series. It was a rather obscure Nintendo's franchise (save for a little cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and other games) Until the DS game with the same name was localized.

Spoiler:

The translation

I wanted to translate this game because I really enjoyed the DS version, it's a pretty fun game to pass the time. The bulk of the job has already been done by Normmatt, he made all the tools to extract the script and insert the translated text (also a VWF, which is imo a really big task). My job is to insert the translated script by user Jamie and extract/insert graphics. So far i have been able to extract most graphics without problems, but i'll need a bit of help from graphics designers for things like the font to choose, how it should be displayed in the game, etc.

There's no ETA for now, but once a decent part of the script has been translated, i'll release a patch for beta-testing purposes. Meanwhile, here are some pics:

Spoiler:

It's still far from perfect (as you can see, some text overlaps, but with enough tries it should get solved soon).

I have yet to analyze the graphics, that will be for a future post.

Cheers!

Credits
  • Normmatt: extraction/insertion tools - VWF
  • Jamie: Translations

Re taking hajimari no ishi!

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: The Legendary Starfy [GBA]
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:42:47 am »
Oh! Cool, I've been wanting to play this series for a while, but I was put off by the lack of translations.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:16:37 pm »
I played one of the GBA sequels a while for taking screenshots. I thought it was neat game and unfortunate it was all Japanese.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:28:38 pm »
It looks pretty good, you're doing a great job on translating it. Keep up the great work.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:50:06 pm »
Yes, yes, yes!  I've been waiting for this for a good while.  Thanks a lot man!

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 04:12:19 pm »
Is it Starfy or Stafy? Make up your mind!

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 07:51:14 pm »
Is it Starfy or Stafy? Make up your mind!

whoops, forgot to notice, that was a leftover from the last translation attempt, i'll retranslate it as Starfy. Thanks for pointing out  :thumbsup:

Recapnation

• View Profile
    • postback.geedorah.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 04:42:29 pm »
i'll retranslate it as Starfy.

I wouldn't. Nintendo (of Japan) gave us a hint with the game's homepage that the name was indeed "Stafy"; check the URL:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/sw2000/itiran/cgb/soft/stafy/index.html

The kana form just can't be transliterated as "starfy", and also these portmanteaus where _both_ words get the cut ("sta-r" and "fi-sh", in this case) is what you usually find in Japanese. In other words, "Starfy" is Nintendo-of-America's arsdoing (much like it was "Yoshi", or "Princess Toadstool") and you know, being faithful to the original source and correcting bastardizations is the cool thing to do these days.

Just my two cents!

caninis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 09:02:14 pm »
there was a Nintendo DS game in this series that came out in north america and they spelled it Starfy

I would say this is the localized name

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 09:56:59 pm »
Should probably note that even official Japanese media labels him Yoshi now. "Yossy" is a thing of the past.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 09:58:46 pm »
Starfy is definitely the official localized name.

While I know it seems the cool thing to bash on NoA and try to say that literally everything they do is wrong (which is the feeling I'm getting from such comments), it's hard to take A URL of a Nintendo of Japan website from (I assume) several years before any localization as "proof" of anything.
My point is: I doubt there was serious thought put into what they may want to someday call the character in English before they created that page, the spelling in the URL could have just as likely been made up by the webpage designer. We don't know, and shouldn't assume more than that.

I would say that at this point, even if NoA is given some freedom to localize stuff, they do have supervision from Japan and I would think at least MAJOR CHARACTER NAMES is something (these days) they value enough to be sure THAT is correct.

And you're going to have a hard time convincing me that "Yoshi" is solely "NoA arsdoing", considering even Japan uses "Yoshi".
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

varikares

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 10:14:35 pm »
looking forward to your translation, sad starfy never got the attention he deserved outside of japan

Recapnation

• View Profile
    • postback.geedorah.com
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 07:48:33 am »
Starfy is definitely the official localized name.

It sure is. Much like it was "Princess Toadstool" once. But localizations, "official" or not, are just that. Something beyond the original creators' reach, normally. I always thought that one of the good things of fan translations was exactly that -- faithfulness even if it opposes officialness.

While I know it seems the cool thing to bash on NoA and try to say that literally everything they do is wrong (which is the feeling I'm getting from such comments), it's hard to take A URL of a Nintendo of Japan website from (I assume) several years before any localization as "proof" of anything.
My point is: I doubt there was serious thought put into what they may want to someday call the character in English before they created that page, the spelling in the URL could have just as likely been made up by the webpage designer. We don't know, and shouldn't assume more than that.

You're right in many things there but you're actually missing the point. A Japanese author indeed will rarely put serious thought into the romaji form of a made-up name, even if it's actually an English-language name such as this. This is precisely the point -- they invent English-language names which are just written in katakana, so it's the labour of a good translator figuring out which is the best way to transliterate it if there's a lack of an official source.

For this very case, it's quite clear for anybody used to Japanese-English transliterations that they wanted an English-language name for the character -- they ended the name with a long -i ("sutafii") instead the short form ("suta-fi"), which would have been the natural portmanteau (and would have been a Japanese-language term more than anything, no matter where it comes from). An ending long -i denotes they were thinking about an English-language name ending in -y, such as Daisy, Mickey, Yossy...

So once we're sure they had an English-language name in mind (therefore, we can discard "Sutafii" or whatever), we have to wonder if the URL naming here is really an arbitrary thing (as they usually are in Japan, I'll grant you that too) or if, on the contrary, it's giving us the only reasonable way to transliterate the stupid name for once. The truth is, as I mentioned, that it can never be "Starfy" since the "a" is short.

I would say that at this point, even if NoA is given some freedom to localize stuff, they do have supervision from Japan and I would think at least MAJOR CHARACTER NAMES is something (these days) they value enough to be sure THAT is correct.

And you're going to have a hard time convincing me that "Yoshi" is solely "NoA arsdoing", considering even Japan uses "Yoshi".

So "assumptions" in this matter are OK? There's not "supervision from Japan" in this regard, be sure. A Japanese company just wants their games to sell in the Americas. If American marketing dictates that "Yossy" or "Stafy" are too alien for the pure minds of American children, they'll bastardize the names no matter what. Of course, Japan will re-adjust if necessary --and for a corporation like Nintendo it sure is-- but again, these days I thought it all was about "faithfulness". Fans grow up and evolve, don't they?

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 09:19:42 am »
Im generally calling bs for supervision from japan when it comes to localizations.
why ? meet hakuowlo :)

In PSP we trust.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 10:27:38 am »
these days I thought it all was about "faithfulness"

Faithfulness is good, but it's only one value among several in a complex balancing act. If it were as simple as "faithfulness is everything", we wouldn't have dozens of different translations of the Iliad, Odyssey, Dante's Inferno, etc.

Translations/localizations should above all sound natural in the target language -- otherwise you get (for example) the tortured syntax and awkward honorifics that some Japanophiles seem to think is faithful, but really isn't. It's far better to have 95% faithfulness and 100% naturalness than 100% faithfulness and 75% naturalness.

I think "Starfy" scans a lot better than "Stafy" in English. The guy's a star, after all. ;D "Stafy" just sounds like a malformation or malapropism, regardless of the designers' intentions.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 10:51:18 am »
The "supervision" thing between Japan and America must happen at some level though, as it has been rumored that was what killed the Wii game "Project HAMMER". Despite that it was developed by the NoA team (what are they called, Nintendo Software Technology?) for primarily a NA release, someone leaked out that supervisors representing Japan canceled the game for not being "Japanese" enough.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 11:03:30 am »
Thanks for everyone suggestions! We decided to keep the translated names from the DS version (Starfy, etc) in order to keep consistency with possible future releases of the 2 and 3 games. I apologize for the blunder on the images.

Recapnation

• View Profile
    • postback.geedorah.com
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 11:21:27 am »
Faithfulness is good, but it's only one value among several in a complex balancing act. If it were as simple as "faithfulness is everything", we wouldn't have dozens of different translations of the Iliad, Odyssey, Dante's Inferno, etc.

Translations/localizations should above all sound natural in the target language -- otherwise you get (for example) the tortured syntax and awkward honorifics that some Japanophiles seem to think is faithful, but really isn't. It's far better to have 95% faithfulness and 100% naturalness than 100% faithfulness and 75% naturalness.

Faithfulness vs. naturalness, regarding naming, doesn't leave too much room for discussion in my opinion, I'm afraid.

I think I didn't make it clear enough, so in case, my point is that, for Tose/Nintendo (of Japan), the one and only romaji form for the name is (was?) "Stafy". That they did think about the name exactly like that (even if they used katakana for the logo, in the end), and that we have enough arguments and hints to support it. And for that reason, but also because it's technically a mistake, "Starfy" should be discarded.

I think "Starfy" scans a lot better than "Stafy" in English. The guy's a star, after all. ;D "Stafy" just sounds like a malformation or malapropism, regardless of the designers' intentions.

The guy's a starfish, so why not "Starfishy" then. Not sure if you just skipped my first post here, but the original name is a portmanteau with "sta-r" and "fi-sh". And this kind of Japanese portmantaus cuts both words as equally as possible. So Nintendo-of-America missed the (silly) point --intentionally or not-- with their translation. Too bad nobody cares.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 02:08:09 pm »
Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but my god is Recapnation's tirade is idiotic. I feel stupid just for reading it. If I were a mod with carte blanche, I would ban him.

Recapnation

• View Profile
    • postback.geedorah.com
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 04:11:50 pm »
Wow. No wonder you feel stupid!