News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [HELP] Tile Layer Pro or else ?  (Read 841 times)

azoreseuropa

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
[HELP] Tile Layer Pro or else ?
« on: June 17, 2017, 10:40:18 am »
I know that it is a very old graphic editor but is there the best graphic editor of modern technology out there ? I used a Tile Layer Pro v1.1 all the time. And loved it but it is very old, lol. Time to move? I just want to know.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:20:42 am by azoreseuropa »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: [HELP] Tile Layer Pro or else ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 11:37:34 am »
If it works for you then it is not like the consoles it is aimed at will suddenly develop new graphical formats, and again while clunky most newer tile editors are not going to magically become editing suites owing to the limitations of the consoles they are editing (I am never going to get a gimp style gradient function in a tile editor, though I might be able to export to gimp and use indexed mode.

Anyway my usual choices of editor are
tiled 2002
A bit clunky, especially on the custom tile size front, but I keep it handy anyway, especially if I am doing GBA games and just want to have a palette ripped from a savestate
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/112/
crystaltile2
A general purpose editing tool, mainly aimed at the GBA and DS, but its tile editor is for me the best one going (custom sizes, most formats out there, all sorts of nice options for font bothering as in you can type or convert windows formats, rotation, scaling, arrangements, byte skipping, import and export to common formats and much more besides).
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/818/
Tiledggd
Not technically an editor but a hell of a viewer, and uses a more abstract way of decoding tiles than the more conventional 1bpp, NES, SNES, GBA 4bpp, GBA 8bpp...
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/646/

I have some others for more specific purposes like DS 3d textures (not all fit the conventional tile format) but if I am rolling up to some random ROM then the above three usually do right by me.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 01:45:59 pm »
I only use yy-chr for everything... And yy-chr's PrgEditor.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 06:26:55 pm »
I only use yy-chr for everything... And yy-chr's PrgEditor.

I second YY-CHR. It's interface makes sense (as long as you don't download one of the versions that's in some foreign language), it's easy to use, the color swapping function can be a lifesaver sometimes and it can load certain types of savestates so you can use the actual palettes from the game.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:45:17 pm »
I find it especially useful to load nams dumped from fceux. It's like magic!

- get to where you want the nam dumped by playing the game on fceux
- open hex editor, dump PPU
- use PPUSplit (or split it manually by hex editting? too much work)
- simply load the nam in bg editor in yy-chr and navigate to the correct CHR page in the rom.
- magic!

Done in 2 minutes:

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 05:08:36 am »
Tile Molester. That's it. Works with many formats, you can export to something like GIMP and import it back again. It's like TLP but better (I think it's the same dev).

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 10:23:04 am »
Tile Molester. That's it. Works with many formats, you can export to something like GIMP and import it back again. It's like TLP but better (I think it's the same dev).
How is the "export/import" thing different from copy paste from any other program into yy-chr?
I like some of the tile arrangement options that are absent from yy-chr (but yy-chr has some that aren't here). And it can zoom a lot (something only available to an extent on yy-chr).
It shows the same problem as yy-chr when importing a palette from fceux though. Most colors come black.
But not having a bg editor is a huge down for me. That thing is a time saver.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 04:37:55 pm »
How is the "export/import" thing different from copy paste from any other program into yy-chr?

I've never used yy-chr. :D Maybe it's better, but all I know is that Tile Molester works well for me.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:03:58 am »
I like some of the tile arrangement options that are absent from yy-chr (but yy-chr has some that aren't here). And it can zoom a lot (something only available to an extent on yy-chr).
It shows the same problem as yy-chr when importing a palette from fceux though. Most colors come black.
But not having a bg editor is a huge down for me. That thing is a time saver.

Tile Molester retains all the RGB values. I've used other programs where the RGB values get fux0red and results in a headache.

I've never used yy-chr. :D Maybe it's better, but all I know is that Tile Molester works well for me.

I second this.

To my knowledge, Tile Molester is the only way to edit PSX textures and sprites, including textures that don't use the standard ".TIM" format, like the Tomb Raider games.

Otherwise, I am very eagerly awaiting this:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22577.0

It sounds like it's gonna be a fucking godsend for graphics editing.

azoreseuropa

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 05:27:48 pm »
Wow.. Thanks guys for the information:

Seems to me that YY-CHR and Tile Molester are the most popular graphic editors. I will check them out and see which one is the best for me.

Many thanks, guys!