News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Secret of Evermore Scroll Hack  (Read 1116 times)

dejan07

• View Profile
Secret of Evermore Scroll Hack
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:34:03 pm »
I want to create a Scroll Hack for Secret of Evermore just like Binarynova did for Secret of Mana.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2913/

Binarynova changed only two lines of code to do that so i think i can figure it out for Secret of Evermore since it's uses the same engine.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Evermore Scroll Hack
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »
Secret of Evermore actually uses a completely different engine than Mana.  The developers basically tried to mimic it, but they didn't use any of the original code.  It's probably still feasible to do though.

Edit:
For an unheadered ROM, it looks like x108EC0 and x108EC7 control the right margin and left margin width.  Increasing the values from x48 causes the screen to scroll when you are farther from the edges.  x108ED5 controls the bottom margin, and x108ECE controls the top margin.  By default the top margin is x68 and bottom is x38.  Changing them all to x68 will keep you pretty close to the center.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:22:00 pm by darkmoon2321 »

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:29:56 am »
Thanks man it worked. Just changing few numbers in flexhex and voila, problem solved! :crazy:

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 01:51:32 pm »
Nice, please link to it.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 01:56:57 pm »
Secret of Evermore actually uses a completely different engine than Mana.  The developers basically tried to mimic it, but they didn't use any of the original code.  It's probably still feasible to do though.
Maybe not be as well known as I thought, Evermore was the first game by an American team Square hired.
They reported that some changes in the game, such as being one player only, was due to the game being originally intended for half the ROM size it released on.
Might have been the only released game as well. I think they had one or two other games announced in a very preliminary stage, including an official Evermore sequel, before the first game was even out.
But then a year later the PlayStation "war" happened and Square reportedly replaced their US subsidiary entirely.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 07:50:02 pm »
Nice, please link to it.

You mean a link to the patch? I haven't created one yet since it needs to be tested first and i have found two bugs already. Download this program
http://www.flexhex.com/

and follow the instructions by darkmoon2321. It is pretty simple.

Pizzano

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:01:37 pm »
Thanks for actually trying to tackle this. I'm looking forward to this hack. I hope it's compatible with the 2-player co-op hack.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:52 am »
Thanks for actually trying to tackle this. I'm looking forward to this hack. I hope it's compatible with the 2-player co-op hack.
Agreed and Agreed! This would be an excellent feature.