News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations of early Famicom games  (Read 43873 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: Translations of early Famicom games
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2018, 01:44:51 am »
Is there a thread somewhere mentioning this work? A search brings up nothing or anyone working on it. Maybe I'm blind.
It's this thread you are currently posting in. One page back (technically two since this post overflowed onto a new page). http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24269.msg354728#msg354728

Fyr

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2018, 06:26:45 pm »
Yeah that's weird. Didn't come up in my search of the forum. Maybe it's because newbs don't have full access? Either way, I see it now.

Were you able to alter any characters in your hacking attempt of the game, Filler? I see the rom has 7 different alphabet tiles. I was able to hack one of them and I have a table now.

June 01, 2018, 02:13:06 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Yeah I think the forum search option couldn't find Haja no Fuuin, perhaps because your text was bolded and a bug related to that may be preventing me from finding it using the search engine.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:13:06 am by Fyr »

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2018, 03:12:46 am »
Yeah that's weird. Didn't come up in my search of the forum. Maybe it's because newbs don't have full access? Either way, I see it now.

Were you able to alter any characters in your hacking attempt of the game, Filler? I see the rom has 7 different alphabet tiles. I was able to hack one of them and I have a table now.

June 01, 2018, 02:13:06 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Yeah I think the forum search option couldn't find Haja no Fuuin, perhaps because your text was bolded and a bug related to that may be preventing me from finding it using the search engine.

I got as far as making this table file based on the PPU viewer in FCEUX, but I wasn't able to find any text encoded like this in the ROM. Not sure how hard I looked, but I assume I might have gone as far as doing some kana searches (based on the table) and relative value searches, but I don't think I found anything. I wouldn't let that discourage you though. I know some basics, but I'm not super savvy about this stuff.

Code: [Select]
06=あ
07=い
08=う
09=え
0A=お
0B=0
0C=1
0D=2
0E=3
0F=4
16=か
17=き
18=く
19=け
1A=こ
1B=5
1C=6
1D=7
1E=8
1F=9
24=さ
25=し
26=す
27=せ
28=そ
29=た
2A=ち
2B=つ
2C=て
2D=と
2E=な
2F=に
34=ぬ
35=ね
36=の
37=は
38=ひ
39=ふ
3A=へ
3B=ほ
3C=ま
3D=み
3E=む
3F=め
44=も
45=や
46=ゆ
47=よ
48=ら
49=り
4A=る
4B=れ
4C=ろ
4D=わ
4E=を
4F=ん
54=ゃ
55=ゅ
56=ょ
57=っ
58=ー
59=゛
5A=゜
5B=?
5C=!
5D=ア
5E=イ
5F=ウ
60=エ
61=オ
62=カ
63=キ
64=ク
65=ケ
66=コ
67=サ
68=シ
69=ス
6A=セ
6B=ソ
6C=タ
6D=チ
6E=ツ
6F=テ
70=ト
71=ナ
72=ニ
73=ヌ
74=ネ
75=ノ
76=ハ
77=ヒ
78=フ
79=ヘ
7A=ホ
7B=マ
7C=ミ
7D=ム
7E=メ
7F=モ
80=ヤ
81=ユ
82=ヨ
83=ラ
84=リ
85=ル
86=レ
87=ロ
8C=ィ
8D=″
90=ワ
91=ヲ
92=ン
93=ャ
94=ュ
95=ョ
96=ッ
97=〉
9C=′
9D=。

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2018, 04:52:31 am »
I got as far as making this table file based on the PPU viewer in FCEUX, but I wasn't able to find any text encoded like this in the ROM.

If you need help dumping the text, I'd be happy to do it. :) I know I've got other stuff on my plate, but I imagine it's probably not gonna be so hard. I'll have a look later and see what I can find.

Fyr

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2018, 04:25:35 pm »
My table looks completely different than yours. My brother and I then added the table to the hex editor and up came all the script. It appears to me that I see it all there. We were just yesterday looking at the exploration menu dialogue in the hex editor and laying out approaches to translating.

I noticed that when I had my eureka moment in hacking the game, that my original discovery of D6 is also 6D as well. I originally based my table off D6 only to learn that the rest of the table didn't follow the D6 pattern as it appears in the tile editor, but instead originates around 6D. So I had to rework my table to fix it - several times actually, because the tile editor doesn't display the characters sequentially in rows as they appear in the hex table (they bounce around and include special characters not seen in the tile editor).

I thought my hack was going to be done through the battle system tile alphabet, but instead I broke through the first dialogue in the castle (also a lot more convenient for testing).

June 01, 2018, 04:31:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
On further review of your table, it appears you did what I originally did. I followed the order that they appeared in the tile set. But the hex numbers don't follow that order, only generally. The first number is actually a space, then it goes all through the numerals, then special characters ( - ? ! ' ) then it returns back to the top and goes through the hiragana, then towards the end it does the hiragana with the " symbol, then returns to the katakana, dodging the graphics, then does katakana with the ", and finally the " and period symbol appear after some graphics.

The only characters I couldn't find for my table were three that only appear in the first alphabet of the tile editor and not the others: / % and +. I don't think they will make much of a difference, since I don't believe I'd have a need to change those characters, but we will see.

Currently, I've reworked a bit of the graphics for the game, included English fonts for all the 7 alphabets. I've been doing some piecemeal translation work too, but just slowly. I think I will do a text dump and hand it off so a guy that is familiar with the game can help with translation (*crossing fingers*). Right now, I'm trying to stay away from story plots and work on menu stuff.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:43:49 pm by Fyr »

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2018, 07:50:32 pm »
My table looks completely different than yours. My brother and I then added the table to the hex editor and up came all the script. It appears to me that I see it all there. We were just yesterday looking at the exploration menu dialogue in the hex editor and laying out approaches to translating.

I noticed that when I had my eureka moment in hacking the game, that my original discovery of D6 is also 6D as well. I originally based my table off D6 only to learn that the rest of the table didn't follow the D6 pattern as it appears in the tile editor, but instead originates around 6D. So I had to rework my table to fix it - several times actually, because the tile editor doesn't display the characters sequentially in rows as they appear in the hex table (they bounce around and include special characters not seen in the tile editor).

I thought my hack was going to be done through the battle system tile alphabet, but instead I broke through the first dialogue in the castle (also a lot more convenient for testing).

June 01, 2018, 04:31:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
On further review of your table, it appears you did what I originally did. I followed the order that they appeared in the tile set. But the hex numbers don't follow that order, only generally. The first number is actually a space, then it goes all through the numerals, then special characters ( - ? ! ' ) then it returns back to the top and goes through the hiragana, then towards the end it does the hiragana with the " symbol, then returns to the katakana, dodging the graphics, then does katakana with the ", and finally the " and period symbol appear after some graphics.

The only characters I couldn't find for my table were three that only appear in the first alphabet of the tile editor and not the others: / % and +. I don't think they will make much of a difference, since I don't believe I'd have a need to change those characters, but we will see.

Currently, I've reworked a bit of the graphics for the game, included English fonts for all the 7 alphabets. I've been doing some piecemeal translation work too, but just slowly. I think I will do a text dump and hand it off so a guy that is familiar with the game can help with translation (*crossing fingers*). Right now, I'm trying to stay away from story plots and work on menu stuff.

Nice job getting to the bottom of the text encoding. Your title screen looks great too. I wish you luck with the project. Definitely excited to see more Famicom projects getting worked on, especially these early games. FYI: If you want to refer to those symbols directly they are called "diacritical marks" or a "diacritc". Specifically the "゛" character is called "dakuten", or colloquially a "ten-ten". The "゜" character is called "handakuten" or colloquially a "maru".

If you need help dumping the text, I'd be happy to do it. :) I know I've got other stuff on my plate, but I imagine it's probably not gonna be so hard. I'll have a look later and see what I can find.

Thank you for this offer. :) I was going to suggest that you assist Fyr rather than myself since they seemed to be interested in the project, but I think the above response indicates they have things in hand.

Fyr

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 04, 2018, 01:28:55 am »
Filler, here's how my table looks for Haja no fuuin. Makes relative searching a pain and I can't find everything I'm looking for, especially monster names. So far I have 50% of the options menu translated, menu for battle translated, initial first town menu options translated, and a few other minor things. No where even close to making a dent, but at least the main menus make sense now. Problem is, this rom duplicates a lot of stuff unnecessarily.

Code: [Select]
10=
11=0
12=1
13=2
14=3
15=4
16=5
17=6
18=7
19=8
1A=9
1B=ー
1C=?
1D=!
1E=、
1F=あ
20=い
21=う
22=え
23=お
24=か
25=き
26=く
27=け
28=こ
29=さ
2A=し
2B=す
2C=せ
2D=そ
2E=た
2F=ち
30=つ
31=て
32=と
33=な
34=に
35=ぬ
36=ね
37=の
38=は
39=ひ
3A=ふ
3B=へ
3C=ほ
3D=ま
3E=み
3F=む
40=め
41=も
42=や
43=ゆ
44=よ
45=ら
46=り
47=る
48=れ
49=ろ
4A=わ
4B=を
4C=ん
4D=ゃ
4E=ゅ
4F=ょ
50=っ
51=が
52=ざ
53=ぐ
54=げ
55=ご
56=ざ
57=じ
58=ず
59=ぜ
5A=ぞ
5B=だ
5C=ぢ
5D=づ
5E=で
5F=ど
60=ば
61=び
62=ぶ
63=べ
64=ぼ
65=ぱ
66=ぴ
67=ぷ
68=ぺ
69=ぽ
6A=ア
6B=イ
6C=ウ
6D=エ
6E=オ
6F=カ
70=キ
71=ク
72=ケ
73=コ
74=サ
75=シ
76=ス
77=セ
78=ソ
79=タ
7A=チ
7B=ツ
7C=テ
7D=ト
7E=ナ
7F=ニ
80=ヌ
81=ネ
82=ノ
83=ハ
84=ヒ
85=フ
86=ォ
87=ホ
88=マ
89=ミ
8A=ム
8B=メ
8C=モ
8D=ヤ
8E=ユ
8F=ヨ
90=ラ
91=リ
92=ル
93=レ
94=ロ
95=ワ
96=ヲ
97=ン
98=ャ
99=ュ
9A=ョ
9B=ツ
9C=ィ
9D=ヴ
9E=ガ
9F=ギ
A0=グ
A1=ゲ
A2=ゴ
A3=ザ
A4=ジ
A5=ズ
A6=ゼ
A7=ゾ
A8=ダ
A9=ヂ
AA=ヅ
AB=デ
AC=ド
AD=バ
AE=ビ
AF=ブ
B0=ボ
B1=パ
B2=ピ
B3=プ
B4=ポ
B5=>
B9=゛
BA=゜

addendum: B5 is just a placeholder character for the select prompt arrow. And 1E is actually the apostrophe.

June 08, 2018, 10:44:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Thought you guys would enjoy some of the progress I made. I have most of the basic menu options done for towns, option screen, select screen, battle screen. Some graphical tweaks already done (title, in game pop ups, password screen). I think I'm probably only 10% done, but during my playthrough I'm about 60% of the way through or more. The menus make it much easier now.

Most of the dialogue is untranslated. I will probably be dumping that separately and shopping around. Also you can see in the battle screen where I'm fighting Jaadin, or in the town screen... I can't find the "HP" and "EXP" katakana/hiragana by relatively searching. It must be hiding somehow.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:44:14 pm by Fyr »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #247 on: June 09, 2018, 02:07:59 pm »
Well, I have something of an update, so I might as well post about it. :D

First of all, apologies to Filler for taking so long with this, but after pulling my hair out trying to figure the best way of using ROM expansion, then getting his script into the game, I can tell you all that I've made some kind of progress on Zoids!

The bulk of the script is in there, and although there are some teething problems at the moment (wrong text appearing, possibly because my bank switching isn't working 100% of the time), the tricky part is more or less over. Now I just need to figure out what's going on in certain spots.

God, all this for a 30-year-old kusoge... :D

Any other news, guys?

Thought you guys would enjoy some of the progress I made

Woah, looking good! Nice job! Keep it up, Fyr. ;)

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2018, 07:29:45 pm »
The bulk of the script is in there, and although there are some teething problems at the moment (wrong text appearing, possibly because my bank switching isn't working 100% of the time), the tricky part is more or less over. Now I just need to figure out what's going on in certain spots.

God, all this for a 30-year-old kusoge... :D

Awesome! Now it's time for the other 90%.

It's the journey not the destination I suppose. :D

As for other news, nothing that isn't off topic. I've just been messing around with Game Gear games. I managed to dump scripts for several games including Kishin Douji Zenki, and Moldorian: Hikari to Yami no Shimai. I also wrote my first script dumper for Saint Tail since it has some weird text encoding. Fun times.

Most of the dialogue is untranslated. I will probably be dumping that separately and shopping around. Also you can see in the battle screen where I'm fighting Jaadin, or in the town screen... I can't find the "HP" and "EXP" katakana/hiragana by relatively searching. It must be hiding somehow.

Great work! It's nice to see updates.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2018, 06:59:45 am »
Any updates on Zoids or Seal of the Dark Lord?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #250 on: July 12, 2018, 10:22:36 am »

Sorry, I got distracted by football - I mean, soccer. ;) I'll get back to it eventually...

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2018, 05:11:49 pm »
Sorry, I got distracted by football - I mean, soccer. ;) I'll get back to it eventually...

Heh, sounds good. Hope you're enjoying the summer.

Fyr

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2018, 10:38:07 pm »

I beat the game. I have a text dump now, with maybe 5% translated (mostly all menus translated, select screens, some town stuff). Now I have to shop around for a translator for the dump.

I've been in Phoenix for the past three weeks so I couldn't do much. But I just got back, so I might be able to squeeze in some work.