News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations of early Famicom games  (Read 51040 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Translations of early Famicom games
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2018, 08:50:45 am »
What if we're indifferent to the ZX Spectrum font because we live in a country where it was never sold?

Uh... hack in your own font? :o Or just deal with it? I dunno...

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2018, 01:38:51 pm »
I was always curious: did you do it from scratch, or did my work on it help you out at all?
Eh, it was a long time ago and I don't remember all the details, but it probably helped me with some things... The first version I did was a continuation of your translation, since that was what the other person who was going to work with me suggested, but I re-started everything from scratch later.

I think some of the things I ended up using were inspired by your translations (of this game and the previous one that you had translated), like putting stuff like 's and 't in a single tile, the font layout, and probably some other smaller things.

I know for sure that I had to use the passwords from your first translation for this one! Although I believe you had misspelled mosaic as mozaic (and I was too lazy to add a Z to the password screen :P).
There has to be a better life.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2018, 05:12:36 pm »
That's interesting. :) I'll be honest: my first reaction to discovering that you'd released Conan 2 was "but that was my game - did they use my work?" But soon after I came to terms with the fact that I had practically abandoned it, and thus it would be silly to have nobody else touch it. Now I'm actually glad that someone was inspired by what I achieved to make their own translation. You know, I haven't played your patch - I really ought to, I wanted to play the game in English, after all! :D If you ever think of trying the third GBC game, I can give you my materials, but be warned: the cart is twice the size of the previous two games, so there's probably a lot in there. Fortunately, as you know, at least the hacking part is easy.

Anyway, I'm still wondering if anyone has feedback on my patch. The title screen was a quick and lazy choice just to get it out there: I could do some graphics to replace the original Japanese title, but putting the plain text was easier. Also I'm limited to the width of the 'start continue' line due to how the game was programmed. Can I fix it to make it wider? Of course. But again, that takes time, and I just wanted people to see the game and let me know what they thought. Maybe I'll change it.

So the game itself should be 100% playable, there were just five bytes that I forgot before releasing: the final password that warps you to Brandy Castle. In this patch it's the same as the original game, but because the password screen no longer uses Japanese, you'll have trouble figuring it out. Now I've changed it, but good luck figuring it out without reading all the dialogue. :D

Now after this brief distraction, I think I'll get back to my PC-98 translation, but I think I ought to give Space Hunter another try, especially if I can expand it as easily as this game. Bah, I'm rambling now, I'll stop. :)

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2018, 10:41:07 pm »
Anyway, I'm still wondering if anyone has feedback on my patch. The title screen was a quick and lazy choice just to get it out there: I could do some graphics to replace the original Japanese title, but putting the plain text was easier.

I haven't had the chance to try out the game itself, but the screenshots look great to me. Very pleased to see 1986 one big step closer to completion!

So the game itself should be 100% playable, there were just five bytes that I forgot before releasing: the final password that warps you to Brandy Castle. In this patch it's the same as the original game, but because the password screen no longer uses Japanese, you'll have trouble figuring it out. Now I've changed it, but good luck figuring it out without reading all the dialogue. :D

Great -- does that mean the patch is now done and in the RHDN release queue?

Now after this brief distraction, I think I'll get back to my PC-98 translation, but I think I ought to give Space Hunter another try, especially if I can expand it as easily as this game. Bah, I'm rambling now, I'll stop. :)

FWIW I'm quite interested in Space Hunter and would be certain to give that a spin (time permitting). I've translated a few bits and pieces myself but playing the game in full English would be far nicer, naturally. :)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2018, 01:52:20 am »
Great -- does that mean the patch is now done and in the RHDN release queue?

Sort of - I just need to write the readme, and I want to do a nice one because there's a lot of detail to mention. Only thing I'm not sure about is the title: it was quick and dirty, and because of the way the title screen is programmed, I phrased it as "The Kidnapped Countess" rather than other ways I've seen it. The Japanese title is basically three nouns: Count/Earl, Daughter, Kidnapping (the latter could be split as "kidnapping case" or "abduction case"). Since there's no agreed translation (and besides, most canon Doyle stories are 'The Adventure of...', which doesn't work here), I went for the shortest one. I've seen "The Kidnapping of the Earl's Daughter", "The Case of the Count's Daughter's Abduction"... but I was able to fit this on the title screen.

Actually, I've just discovered something I missed: the continue passwords. I had no idea if they worked, because I had no idea how to get them. I don't know who will use them, since we now have save states, but it's there, so I need to fix it. Just so you know, you pause the game and press Up and A on Controller 2. I haven't seen any English sites that mention this...

Better finish the patch, then! :) But any opinions on the title are welcome, of course.

EDIT: well, I've fixed the passwords. :D Guess I should release it properly, then.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:40:17 am by Psyklax »

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2018, 04:44:01 pm »
Sort of - I just need to write the readme, and I want to do a nice one because there's a lot of detail to mention. Only thing I'm not sure about is the title: it was quick and dirty, and because of the way the title screen is programmed, I phrased it as "The Kidnapped Countess" rather than other ways I've seen it. The Japanese title is basically three nouns: Count/Earl, Daughter, Kidnapping (the latter could be split as "kidnapping case" or "abduction case"). Since there's no agreed translation (and besides, most canon Doyle stories are 'The Adventure of...', which doesn't work here), I went for the shortest one. I've seen "The Kidnapping of the Earl's Daughter", "The Case of the Count's Daughter's Abduction"... but I was able to fit this on the title screen.

Technically I'd call it "The Case of the Count's Kidnapped Daughter". However, as I don't like the repeated hard consonants, at one point I advocated for "The Case of the Count's Missing Daughter". That aside, your "The Kidnapped Countess" seems perfect. It's shorter and to the point. I think the title screen is perfect aside from perhaps a "not for sale" message.

I like to advocate for one in all my projects since I am against "repro" sellers making us unwilling accomplices in their illegal bootlegging. There are plenty of ways to enjoy our free translation patches without spending money to flagrantly break copyright laws, and I think most reasonable people will come around to an understanding of why paying for a repro is quantifiably different from simply playing a ROM of your game with an English language patch.

That said, I doubt there is any market for a repro of this game, so it's probably optional in this case. :)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2018, 05:11:50 pm »
a "not for sale" message

Some people like to put credits in their translation patches, and I've never done it because I always wanted to imagine it was an original release, and putting "2018 Psyklax" kinda spoils the image. But this is a little different. I agree 100% that 'repros' - or, to give them the correct term, bootlegs - are a bad thing, and I certainly wouldn't want my work stuck in a cart and sold without my permission. Having said that, I don't know where I could put it in this game. Perhaps on the title screen, but it might get in the way a bit. Besides, if someone wants to 'repro' this then I doubt a 'not for sale' message will deter them. :)

By the way, I see your readme contribution, thanks for that. I was going to send you the rest of it but I guess it's not necessary now. I'll probably release it properly tomorrow.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2018, 06:02:54 pm »
Sounds good. :beer: BTW: If I understand correctly, Gideon is planning some big release tomorrow, so it may be good to wait a couple days to make a news post if you're planning to. I'd understand if you don't bother with a news post too. This is a relatively minor release after all.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2018, 03:25:01 am »
Well, you can guess what I'm going to say: Sherlock Holmes is officially out! :D

Grab it from my website, or just wait for it to be added to RHDN's database. I'll make a news post in a day or two (taking Filler's advice :D ).

I guess the next thing in this project is probably SWAT, right Filler? Maybe once you're done with it, I'll collab with you again to release it. :) I think I'll examine the ROM now, just to get a rough idea.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #189 on: March 08, 2018, 04:05:25 am »
Congrats on the release! :thumbsup: SWAT could be interesting, since there weren't that many games with similar theme on the FC/NES - the only one I can think of is Rescue: The Embassy Mission, though that one was less RPGish. I recall reading that SWAT is pretty broken though, especially the passwords/mission objectives, so good luck with that. :D

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #190 on: March 08, 2018, 04:10:46 am »
I recall reading that SWAT is pretty broken though, especially the passwords/mission objectives, so good luck with that. :D

I've just been reading a super detailed FAQ over at GameFAQs and they describe it as one of the buggiest games ever... aside from simply translating it, I think it'd be fun to try and make a bugfixed version. Even if the game still ends up being crap, I'm sure some would appreciate it being bug-free nevertheless. :D

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2018, 08:16:27 am »
Well, you can guess what I'm going to say: Sherlock Holmes is officially out! :D
Yay!

I guess the next thing in this project is probably SWAT, right Filler? Maybe once you're done with it, I'll collab with you again to release it. :) I think I'll examine the ROM now, just to get a rough idea.
You're in luck since I finished researching all the trouble spots last night after asking for some advice on Japanese Stack Exchange. I'll PM you the completed script.

EDIT: FYI, I heard back from Supper and he's not working on SWAT at all, so feel free to go nuts with it. He may help out on getting my old Magic Knight Rayearth project on the Game Gear finished up though which I'm all for.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:37:17 pm by filler »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2018, 05:40:30 am »
I heard back from Supper and he's not working on SWAT at all, so feel free to go nuts with it

I can't promise to be quite as quick with SWAT since it's a bit of a different game, plus I'd be curious about fixing some of the gamebreaking bugs in the game. I saw your post in the other thread - our inbox on this site is just too small! :D

I just completed Sherlock Holmes from start to finish, with the help of a FAQ. It would've taken a lot longer without the FAQ, that's for sure. Finding clues could be just trial and error, but the methods for finding bosses would be a nightmare.

I forgot to include THE MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION in my readme: at the game over screen, HOLD A, B AND RIGHT to continue the game. This is essential to getting anywhere in the game, and I can't believe it's not documented anywhere.

EDIT: I also discovered a couple of tiny errors that I missed: one was a minor typo from Filler's text that I neglected to fix, and one was a line that leaks one character into the border instead of moving to the next line. I don't think it warrants a new version but just thought I'd mention it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:55:44 am by Psyklax »

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2018, 01:25:53 pm »
Finding clues could be just trial and error, but the methods for finding bosses would be a nightmare.

Oh, so this is actually more action-oriented. I thought it was really more adventure like. Kinda disappointed it's considered crap, I like the look, it does remind me a bit of old computer games.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2018, 02:36:13 pm »
Oh, so this is actually more action-oriented. I thought it was really more adventure like.

It very much is all about action: Sherlock Holmes kung fu kicking women in the face, and beating up passers-by for train fare. :D I detailed precisely what you need to do in the readme. Needless to say that without a FAQ it's almost impossible to figure out. At least with the 16 clues you could just use your magnifying glass on every object and get them all eventually, but finding the 7 bosses requires more than that. I thought I could make an alternate translation, where the informant tells you precisely where everything is, rather than the information he actually gives you. If anyone's actually interested, I could do that, but you're better off just reading the FAQ instead.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2018, 08:41:52 pm »
I thought I could make an alternate translation, where the informant tells you precisely where everything is, rather than the information he actually gives you. If anyone's actually interested, I could do that

That'd be kind of cool, actually, since it preserves immersion (there are quite a few of us out there who try to beat these games without walkthroughs or savestates). "Sherlock Holmes Easytype"? :D

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2018, 11:17:55 am »
That'd be kind of cool, actually, since it preserves immersion (there are quite a few of us out there who try to beat these games without walkthroughs or savestates). "Sherlock Holmes Easytype"? :D

Yeah, but what's the difference between a man in the game saying "use the violin in this place" or a FAQ saying "use the violin in this place"? :D Nah, you might as well just look it up.

Anyway, little update! :)

Just so you can see the progress I've made on SWAT: the name entry screen is done, as is the choice of entry screen. I removed the 'back' option on the name entry since the B button does the exact same thing. I had tried to make a nicer looking screen but it's a bit tight in the ROM. I haven't got to the actual text yet, that'll be the tricky part. I think I'll have room for all the text, though: being on an UNROM mapper which doesn't distinguish between PRG and CHR ROM, the text shares a bank with some graphics, so I can overwrite the graphics with my new text. Of course, the last resort is to double the ROM size like with Sherlock Holmes, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2018, 11:40:18 am »
 :thumbsup:

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2018, 05:54:44 pm »
Superb work with those translations!  ;)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2018, 12:47:08 pm »
:thumbsup:

Superb work with those translations!  ;)

Thank you both. :)

I've been beavering away the last day or so. Now the only thing left to put in the game is the main text block, but all the menus are done!

Now you can at least work your way around the menus, but of course you won't have a clue what's going on. I left the main text block until last because it's literally two big pointer tables with two massive slabs of text, so replacing it could be as easy as slapping it in and changing the pointers, but I'll probably need some DTE in there to fit it in.

Hey Filler, do you have an English-only script, like you had with Sherlock? :) I know you just made it with macros, but I haven't learnt how to do that with Textpad... :D It's around half the size of the Sherlock text, though, so it won't be so much to worry about.

March 13, 2018, 10:36:22 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, doublepost be damned:

BETA VERSION OF SWAT IS HERE!!

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/swat-beta.xdelta

I'm in a rush, but anyone who wants to check it out, go for it. This is a BETA version, meaning I know it's not finished. I need to test as much dialogue as I can, but it's all in there, and it's fully playable. I'll be properly releasing it once I'm happy with it. Enjoy! :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:36:22 am by Psyklax »