News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: 46 OkuMen - PC-98 Translations  (Read 8050 times)

kuoushi

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
Re: 46 OkuMen - PC-98 Translations
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2017, 10:44:58 pm »
Here's the fun thing about ripping any kind of images from PC-98 games, pretty much every game from different publishers uses a different and most of the time proprietary image format. Hell, sometimes even games from the same publisher as well, so there's no great way to or single tool that will be able to get those specific files out of each game. That being said, there are some options that might help you with certain specific games/types.

I'm going to assume you know how to use EditDisk or ND to get your images off the hard disk or floppy disk image files in the first place. If not, you'll need one or both of those. Once there, you've got a couple of options to actually view those image files outside of their games.

One pretty great tool is known as MLD. It's an executable that you run in DOS in your PC-98 emulator of choice. The basic usage is "mld -c -k filename.ext". -c clears the screen before displaying the file, and -k waits for a key input before moving to the next file (hint: you can use * as a wildcard and say stuff like *.bmp to make it show all of the *.bmp files in the specific folder). There's a lot of supported files in there, so your best bet is to open up the MLDMAN.txt file and look through there. It has a list of the supported files and filetypes.

That won't show you everything, unfortunately though. Your next option is to try to find a Susie Plugin for the images/archives that games support. Most Susie Plugins are for things like VNs, I've found. They weren't super widely supported, but that didn't stop a bunch of people from writing plugins for different image formats. Basically, it defines how to view an image for a program that supports the plugin type. A number of image viewers that work on modern computers support Susie Plugins (Massigra is one to try).

As for where to find Susie Plugins, I've got a pretty huge archive of them but it's not ordered very well and I don't feel like distributing them, but you can find a lot of them on Vector, which is a treasure trove of old software.

All that to say, there's no one tool that can do that job for you on this one, really. If none of the above work you can always find out which file is the title screen and replace that with another image file from the same game and make the game display it for you instead of the title screen. We've done that for a number of games now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:03:38 pm by kuoushi »

hollowaytape

• The devil enjoys the grief
    • View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2017, 11:18:58 pm »
Additionally, I don't have any secret internal tools for extracting images from the games we've worked on. It's a lot easier to write an image encoder than a decoder, so I've never written one. I've used the replace-the-title-screen method for any graphics I needed to extract for edits, nothing more sophisticated than that.

I'm definitely interested in seeing more Japanese PC stuff on TSR though, so I'm glad you're working on it! I have a bunch of Last Armageddon sprites extracted which I need to put in a sheet and submit one of these days...
PC-98 Romhacker for 46 OkuMen. Finished E.V.O., Rusty. CRW Metal Jacket. Now working on Appareden.

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2017, 06:50:04 pm »

And here's a link to the two year anniversary blog post.

https://46okumen.com/2017/09/25/46-okumen-is-now-two-years-older/

Thanks for following our progress with things, hope to have more patches out before the end of the year!

I've been reading that blog post above and I'd like to know one thing. What text/image editing software do you guys use to translate and export the PC-98 game manuals into English language files?

Addendum: Also I've found out about Crimson III and its PC-98 port after checking KingMike's recent work on Crimson I on MSX. He still needs help with the translation on that if anyone in this team wishes to look into that. Crimson III was released on MSX2 and PC-88 as well as PC-98. It looks cool as and has got those gothic monster designs going for it.
Interested in it?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:53:06 pm by ObiKKa »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2017, 08:21:52 pm »
The biggest roadblock to Crimson 1 is figuring out how the font gets into VRAM initially. I have documented the text print routine and see where it copies font characters from its storage in VRAM to the screen display.
(since it uses ASCII but doesn't have a full ASCII font)
I have used blueMSX but I don't think I can easily trace VRAM writes?
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

kuoushi

• View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2017, 09:17:56 pm »
What text/image editing software do you guys use to translate and export the PC-98 game manuals into English language files?

Mostly we use Photoshop. Log (who handled the manuals for CRW and Rusty, as well as some scan cleanup and layout adjustments for EVO's manual that you see in the fully finished version) and I used to do scanlation together a long time ago, so a lot of the techniques you'd use in scanlation (like fixing levels, etc) are used to clean up a lot of the images, and then the text is just typeset onto the pages after the Japanese text has been removed. Log also uses one of those fancy tablets to help with redrawing and fixing up images as well. Sometimes when the manuals are simpler, we can generally just create a page template and use that with the English text. Also, we use Google to OCR the manuals so it's easier to translate them in general. Works pretty well.

When we need color images and more complex pages done, we will generally ask SkyeWelse (who does all of our in-game graphics as well) to handle that and he's going to use Photoshop as well.

After all of that is done, we create a PDF file containing each of the pages and that's the end of the process.

Oh, and SkyeWelse usually has or obtains physical copies of the games we work on, so we get nice, high resolution scans to work from.

Addendum: Also I've found out about Crimson III and its PC-98 port after checking KingMike's recent work on Crimson I on MSX. He still needs help with the translation on that if anyone in this team wishes to look into that. Crimson III was released on MSX2 and PC-88 as well as PC-98. It looks cool as and has got those gothic monster designs going for it.
Interested in it?

Unfortunately we've got a lot on our plate, and when it comes to translation I'm barely keeping up with our current projects since real work has been hitting my time pretty hard lately. Can't offer much help anywhere, to be perfectly honest. I do quite like some of those designs in Crimson III though. I'll probably look into it and see if it belongs on our candidates list or not.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2017, 01:08:44 am »
Ah, well, that takes Dragon Knight 4 (The uncensored PC-98 version) out of the pool, which is bad luck as I'm now pretty keen on the series.

We (Nebulous Translations) are working on it. Don't hold your breath yet though, it has a book-size script, so it will take a while to complete that translation, not to mention the testing process. I do believe it has more text than all the 3 earlier games combined. As you mentioned, this is the only uncensored version out there. All of the others lack hentai, and there are more differences it would seem - for instance, the PSX version is the most difficult, whereas the PC version has 3D graphics (albeit of rather poor quality).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:36:03 am by cccmar »