News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hikaru no Go translation (GBA)  (Read 967 times)

tektra

• View Profile
Hikaru no Go translation (GBA)
« on: September 24, 2018, 12:59:12 pm »
Hello, recently I decided to play the Hikaru no Go GBA game again for nostalgia's sake, and out of curiosity I peeked through the code.  It's laid out in a very easy to edit way, and I thought I'd try my hand at a translation (I am aware of a previous abandoned translation attempt, and haven't ended up using previous work.)

After a couple of days ironing out figuring the control codes and pointers, I've made some progress on actually inserting text into the game.
Screencaps

tashi

• View Profile
Re: Hikaru no Go translation (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 06:14:35 pm »
Looks good! I remember playing that when it came out. The fast-forward button helped a lot.
I always forced jigo with Akari because I felt guilty about crushing her...

Chael

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 09:51:43 am »
That game had already been translated : http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1026/
It's not an abandonned attempt, I played it entirely and I think the text was 99% translated.

The second one on GBA has not tho so I would try that one if I were you  ;)

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 09:57:34 am »
That game had already been translated : http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1026/
It's not an abandonned attempt, I played it entirely and I think the text was 99% translated.

The second one on GBA has not tho so I would try that one if I were you  ;)
Edit: It's still a bit off-putting when you come across the untranslated graphics, but I hope that can be fixed in the future.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:48:20 pm by Tyrantnyx »

tektra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 10:34:48 am »
Ah, good to know!  I saw one abandoned attempt but I didn't see the finished one.  I do have the second one on hand, and once I finish up a few more pressing projects I'll try to get on that.

Chael

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 12:05:35 pm »
I think it was a partial translation for a while and everyone missed when the new version was released (2017-07-18)
I updated the patch myself on romhacking last july when I looked into it.

Good to know that you plan to work on the 2nd game. Apparently it already supports latin characters.

tektra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 01:22:38 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me, the first game had Latin character support from the start.  It might be a week or two until I have the time to start up on 2, but at least once November ends my schedule will be clear.