News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)  (Read 36579 times)

toruzz

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2017, 05:55:58 pm »
This project is looking great!
By the way, I'm sure you're already aware or maybe fixed it already toruzz, but looking at the video if you select Luigi he will have Mario's colors on the overworld map.
It's already fixed in the most recent videos :)
https://youtu.be/F08sXVjc-2M

BlackMageJawa

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2017, 06:27:26 pm »
Could you make it so that boss stages and the tutorial level are repeatable? It always bugged me that you could replay most of the game, but not those parts.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2017, 07:23:36 pm »
On the tree zone, can you think of something besides white to make the background? In levels it's white in the background too.

https://www.mariowiki.com/File:SML2_Artwork_-_Mario_Land_Map.png

The hippo should be grey.

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2017, 01:31:14 pm »

I are the hippo and turtle on the map suppose to be stone statues/structures?

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2017, 12:32:15 am »
Could you make it so that boss stages and the tutorial level are repeatable? It always bugged me that you could replay most of the game, but not those parts.
I've thought about it, so I might look into it :)

On the tree zone, can you think of something besides white to make the background? In levels it's white in the background too.

The background is actually yellowish, but I can't make it more noticeable as it would mess the contrast up. Every palette is subject to change, though.

Regarding the hippo's color (and the whole overworld), not even the official art has consistent colors. Also, keep in mind that purple looks almost like gray on the actual GBC's screen (look at how Nintendo uses it on Link's Awakening, for example).

Thanatos-Zero

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2017, 12:29:41 pm »
go with violet/purple for the hippos. ^^

delta7890

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2017, 11:42:50 pm »
Fantastic work man!  Can't wait to see this finished.  :D

Vortiene

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2017, 01:08:41 pm »
Regarding the hippo's color (and the whole overworld), not even the official art has consistent colors. Also, keep in mind that purple looks almost like gray on the actual GBC's screen (look at how Nintendo uses it on Link's Awakening, for example).

I'd go with the nintendo power art version for that one, looks more official with the label art's artist seemingly having created it. The other is from the Shogakugan official game guide, which may have had a separate illustrator paid to make some art for that book.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:32:13 pm by Vortiene »

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2017, 12:08:59 am »
I'll stick with purple for the hippo. Mario games are colorful, so I think avoiding big chunks of grey is for the best. It's also not a good idea to make it blue as it wouldn't make good contrast with the sky and water. And to be honest, a grey hippo is just boring  :P

On a different note, I finally implemented Space suit Mario/Luigi with it's own attributes. Now I can do imperceptible stuff like having the helmet's reflection always facing the same direction:

Totally worth it  :P

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2017, 12:48:04 am »
The new colors for the moon level look great, you did a great job on them.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2017, 10:22:59 am »
I think the moon surface would look better with a yellowish color. The way it looked in Snake Rattle And Role.
Not yellow but light cheese sorta.
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

Mattiac

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2017, 10:44:17 am »
I'll stick with purple for the hippo. Mario games are colorful, so I think avoiding big chunks of grey is for the best. It's also not a good idea to make it blue as it wouldn't make good contrast with the sky and water. And to be honest, a grey hippo is just boring  :P

On a different note, I finally implemented Space suit Mario/Luigi with it's own attributes. Now I can do imperceptible stuff like having the helmet's reflection always facing the same direction:

Totally worth it  :P

A grey hippo could be boring, but if it's official and meant to look like a statue... :-\

Great work with the moon level, Toruzz-san! :thumbsup: Astronaut is my dream job. I wish I could donate to you when the patch is complete.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2017, 01:03:25 pm »
This is also official but I don't see anyone desperate to mod Mega Man in response.
Spoiler:
What works in one form of media does not work in another.  Artwork is hardly the final say.  Purple has not gone far enough--pink hippo all the way!

Nintendo always provided color guides for characters, but backgrounds had much more leeway.  Here's a couple interesting articles on how publicity artwork was handled.
http://www.nintendoplayer.com/art/happy-meal/
http://www.nintendoplayer.com/art/kelloggs/

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2017, 01:09:18 pm »
I am happy the hacker is not going to release the game until it is fully colorized.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2017, 03:06:37 pm »
This is also official but I don't see anyone desperate to mod Mega Man in response.
Spoiler:
What works in one form of media does not work in another.  Artwork is hardly the final say.  Purple has not gone far enough--pink hippo all the way!

One of the canceled Mega Man games (was it Mega Man Universe?) was going to have Bad Box Art Mega Man as one of the player selections.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2017, 10:49:18 am »
Maybe you should give the moon a blue color.

Also, that megaman thing gives me a good idea. What about colorizing megaman 1-5 on gb like the cancelled gba port compilation was gonna do?

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2017, 11:35:13 am »
Capital idea - when are you beginning realizing this good idea, of not only doing one color hack - but five?

/dACE

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2017, 11:16:33 pm »
Only five?  What about those couple people who may play it on a GBA at some point?  Gotta have specialized palettes for them so their eyes don't get cancer.

Oh, but they might confuse which patch to apply, so safest to reverse how GBA detection is done and swap them at runtime, akin to Shantae.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2017, 06:20:32 pm »
I feel that the moon ground color should be the same color as the spikes that you have there.  Otherwise it looks like it could be snow.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2017, 09:06:53 pm »
I feel that the moon ground color should be the same color as the spikes that you have there.  Otherwise it looks like it could be snow.

That's the first "moon color" based feedback post I've agreed with.