News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)  (Read 36580 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 03:15:52 am »
I don't think you need to be so anal about ensuring there's no color bleeding (i.e. green in the ocean around the edges of the islands, red on the walls, etc.) It would look a bit off, but the way you have it right now, it looks like an NES game, and there's really no reason for that considering the Game Boy Color is much more powerful than the NES.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 02:11:49 pm »
I think it looks great as it is. Can't wait to play it as I said in a previous topic and on Youtube!

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 11:37:05 pm »
...there's really no reason for that considering the Game Boy Color is much more powerful than the NES.

I'm sure there's a lot less to work with when you're converting a DMG game, as opposed to writing a GBC-exclusive game from scratch.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 02:53:26 am »
I was shocked to learn the monochrome GB even had palettes at all, considering it... can fit all its "colors" in one palette. :P
But maybe they considered it was at least useful for fade effects and such?

(not unless they were THAT forward-thinking to think they'd eventually release a color version... someday)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 09:54:36 am »
I'm sure there's a lot less to work with when you're converting a DMG game, as opposed to writing a GBC-exclusive game from scratch.

It's as simple as inserting palette data and writing code to load it. There's no real reason color conversions of Game Boy games can't make full use of the technology. What's going on here is using extra palettes to make sure no colors bleed into where they don't belong, which has the side effect of making the world map look, well... kind of bland.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 07:23:02 pm »
I'm trying to replace some of the background elements (the Star and Moon in particular) with sprites to color them properly - not sure if I'll be able to pull it off, though. Also, keep in mind that I haven't finished editing the map.

I don't think you need to be so anal about ensuring there's no color bleeding (i.e. green in the ocean around the edges of the islands, red on the walls, etc.) It would look a bit off, but the way you have it right now, it looks like an NES game, and there's really no reason for that considering the Game Boy Color is much more powerful than the NES.
Hmm... I'll consider it. I'm not sure that's what Nintendo would do though, and unfortunately just putting together a mockup for this takes a considerable amount of time. But I don't know, it could be the best way to go.

What you gonna do for Space Zone? That's kinda devoid of colors to begin with. Can we see some screens of what you got in mind?
Sorry, I don't even have a mockup yet!

I was shocked to learn the monochrome GB even had palettes at all, considering it... can fit all its "colors" in one palette. :P
But maybe they considered it was at least useful for fade effects and such?

(not unless they were THAT forward-thinking to think they'd eventually release a color version... someday)
It's almost a must for fade effects if you think about it - changing all the graphics each time would be really slow and inconvenient. Also, thanks to that feature we have alternating palettes in almost every game's pause screen :P

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 08:23:50 pm »
Thanks for this awesome project. Looking forward to the release so i can replay it!  :thumbsup:

Guspaz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 11:42:29 pm »
Also (in addition to being used for fades and palette-based animations), consider that the colour at palette index 0 is always treated as transparent, meaning it isn't displayed. You can't disable that, even if you don't need it. As a result, a sprite can only display 3 out of the 4 shades. If you want a sprite to seem like it is using all four shades, it needs to be displayed on top of a solid background. That isn't possible in most cases (where your sprites are appearing on top of background tiles, or even other sprites), so you do need to use the palette to pick which 3 shades work best for the sprite.

This limitation actually also applies to the GBC, it's just that you have 32,768 choices for the other three palette indexes instead of 4, and you also get to use 8 different palettes (for sprites) instead of the 2 palettes the DMG could pick from.

I think some games on the GBC cheated by changing the colour palettes during hblanks, though?

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 12:05:47 am »
That's how the GameBoy Color adds colors right? It assigns different colors to each of the sprite "layers"? Sometimes it isn't very accurate, but it's usually good enough to correctly seperate the sprites from the backgrounds.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 02:25:01 pm »
This is one of the best projects to happen in a long time.  SML2 is my favorite GameBoy Mario game, and the fact that it is finally getting colorized is just beyond awesome.

Can't understand why Nintendo didn't do this themselves back in the day when they did Link's Awakening DX.  Such wasted potential.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 12:34:08 am »
I managed to make the overworld look a bit better, I hope you prefer it this way. It isn't finished yet, but I think there isn't much room left for improvement.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:11:07 am by toruzz »

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 06:06:13 am »
  Looks a lot better that way, I think. I don't know if the bridge on the left should be orange/brown, though.

zacmario

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 07:06:57 am »
Excited to play this!
Hope the original SML gets a real color hack someday

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2017, 08:38:22 am »
Nice, I would just brighten the moon and remove the dithering on the pumpkin since those shades are so close.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2017, 09:35:32 am »

I love the colors used, except for the Moon. Could you change the pallet of that sprite (tiles?) to match the Star? The Moon there being dark yellow makes it look like an overripe banana.

Excited to play this!
Hope the original SML gets a real color hack someday

It already has.

After this, it's Wario Land 1 that needs the color treatment!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2017, 10:03:05 am »
I helped with the SML color hack. But I also rearranged the enemies and graphics. There's a color hack based off my hack without the graphic and enemy changes. It has problems too tho.

I used GB Colorizer to get it started.

zacmario

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2017, 10:28:28 am »
Oh I liked your hack it self. The colorizer seemed to create trouble. But maybe it's just the emulators fault.
Either way this project is really exciting.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2017, 11:37:37 am »
I managed to make the overworld look a bit better, I hope you prefer it this way. It isn't finished yet, but I think there isn't much room left for improvement.

Spoiler:

It looks fantastic!
I would just agree with PresidentLeever on making the moon the same color as the star and that should be it :)
The pumpkin looks fine that way, making it a tadbit darker could make it better, but if it is left that way, it would be fine :D

Loving the work that's been done so far!

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2017, 12:00:05 pm »
Here's my edit on how the star and moon should look like:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 12:28:58 pm »
Well then here's my take on the map :P
I simply made the Moon the same color as the Star and edited the Pumpkin a little bit:

Spoiler:

Everything else was left untouched, cause that's top notch  :laugh: