News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)  (Read 32657 times)

NES Boy

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2017, 11:13:03 am »
The "Only for" logo is stupid, because it already says GameBoy Color on the left side
Well, it serves a purpose — there are over a hundred Game Boy Color games that can be played on earlier Game Boy modesl, and this inidicates that the game in question doesn't do that. This SML2 hack doesn't work with the original Game Boy, hence "Only for Game Boy Color".

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2017, 04:28:35 pm »
I didn't know that you could play GameBoy Color games on the older GameBoy systems.  But then again, I didn't own many GameBoy games to begin with.  I seem to remember the ones that I had, wouldn't work on the original GameBoy when I tried them.

Why would some games be compatible and others not?  Seems silly to me.

But still, I never liked the "Only for" shit.  It just screams to me "Ha ha you can't play this unless you buy our system!  Otherwise you're screwed!"  It just rubs me the wrong way.

azoreseuropa

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2017, 04:44:19 pm »
I think the box art that modestlaw made is just fine the way it is.  The "Only for" logo is stupid, because it already says GameBoy Color on the left side, and it would interfere with the Nintendo Seal of Quality and that turtle in the lower-right corner.

Yeah. Makes sense.  :thumbsup:

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2017, 05:22:04 pm »
I didn't know that you could play GameBoy Color games on the older GameBoy systems.  But then again, I didn't own many GameBoy games to begin with.  I seem to remember the ones that I had, wouldn't work on the original GameBoy when I tried them.

But still, I never liked the "Only for" shit.  It just screams to me "Ha ha you can't play this unless you buy our system!  Otherwise you're screwed!"  It just rubs me the wrong way.
Silly or not, it was the case. Pokémon Gold & Silver could be played in colour or monochrome. Pokémon Crystal, however, was colour only. Same thing with Link's Awakening DX vs Oracle Series. As some notable examples.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »

The other indicator of whether a game is backwards-compatible or not is the cartridge shape. GBC-only games have clear cases, while backwards compatible GBC games are (usually) black and in the same shape as original GB carts. (the particularly important thing to note is the "notch" in the upper-right corner. That part was designed so the power switch on the original GB hardware (aka DMG-001) would slide over it and block the cart from being removed. But the GBC-only carts were conversely designed to block the DMG-001 power switch from being turned on.

Of course, the cart shape wouldn't have been a helpful indicator when the games were still new inside the boxes. :)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2017, 05:05:25 pm »
So that's why the colors were different. I noticed the colors growing up but didn't think about it. Now it makes sense.
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

Madtheswag

• 5.25 floppys are better.....not
    • View Profile
    • Check out the Madville Site!
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2017, 01:07:32 am »
Nice, I can't wait for a release soon.
I've seen i in color before and the others don't compare.
I run a Windows XP. What else?

Vinci2000

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2017, 12:57:32 pm »
I did this Super Mario Land 2 DX Cover 4 days ago.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2017, 05:04:55 pm »
I dig the initial fancover, I didn't like the idea of Luigi reduced to a feature.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2017, 09:01:28 pm »
They looked quite obviously copy pasted into the scene rather than being part of it to me, so I like this a bit more. But please ditch the intrusive and obnoxious "only for gbc" bit.

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2017, 10:24:46 pm »
Important fun fact: never post covers of hacks, some dumbass is likely to steal it and sell a repro cartridge with all this material.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2017, 11:12:03 pm »
So what?  Nobody can stop that anyways, and hacking is for the love of the games, community, or experience.

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2017, 05:08:39 am »
Important fun fact: never post a romhack, some dumbass is likely to steal it and sell a repro cartridge with all this material.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2017, 06:50:29 am »
So what?  Nobody can stop that anyways, and hacking is for the love of the games, community, or experience.
Adding a difficult-to-remove watermark somewhere seems to be a good countermeasure.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2017, 10:37:46 am »
Adding a difficult-to-remove watermark somewhere seems to be a good countermeasure.
That's why toruz is adding splash screens to his projects, as have I for my EB projects as well.
That way you can be sure that no matter what the repro-maker does, the end-user will get the splash screen in each boot, reassuring them that they are playing a romhack and who the original author of said hack is.

Here's mine:

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2017, 06:11:47 pm »
Actually, I don't think it makes sense to add a splash screen to this particular project as it's going to be open source and therefore easily removable (or even worse - customized).

I thought of adding a lot of checks and countermeasures in FtFtBT DX to make sure the splash screen's integrity is maintained, but I concluded that it would be a waste of time. On the one hand, anybody willing to spend whatever a repro cart costs know what they are buying, on the other if you really want to remove it, you can remove it. I suppose the repro stuff is inevitable.

zacmario

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2017, 09:32:20 am »
you're right they are. One of mine was, They never asked permission, I've since used sa-1 / dsp-1 chips. Repos are too cheap to provide the extra chip needed.
If you're open source it's gonna happen no matter what you do anyway.

Damonp

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2017, 09:57:49 am »
Just wanna jump in and say this color hack is great, especially compared to the other color hack available for the game, since that one's HORRIBLE.

retroverse

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2017, 07:08:20 pm »
Another very impressed voice to add to the list - I think you're doing a great job adding colour to the monochrome graphics, and the extra touches (like Luigi) really add something to the old game.  The colour version of the map is impressive, and I look forward to seeing what you do with the other worlds other than the Tree Zone.

Are you considering adding additional levels/worlds to the 'enhanced' patch for the game?  (Much like Link's Awakening DX added an extra dungeon?)

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2017, 10:05:38 pm »
Just wanna jump in and say this color hack is great, especially compared to the other color hack available for the game, since that one's HORRIBLE.
Another very impressed voice to add to the list - I think you're doing a great job adding colour to the monochrome graphics, and the extra touches (like Luigi) really add something to the old game.  The colour version of the map is impressive, and I look forward to seeing what you do with the other worlds other than the Tree Zone.

Are you considering adding additional levels/worlds to the 'enhanced' patch for the game?  (Much like Link's Awakening DX added an extra dungeon?)
Thank you guys :beer:

I won't be adding new levels (I don't think I'd do a good job), but there are a couple of things I want to include. I'll just say that completing all levels shouldn't feel unrewarded.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:16:29 pm by toruzz »