News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Updated to v1.12]  (Read 57184 times)

toruzz

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Released!]
« Reply #340 on: December 30, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »
Sprites must have a transparent color. (or else they'd all be square objects)
You're right, that came out wrong. I meant there aren't translucent colors.
I noticed that the Bell Checkpoint sprite has the middle portion set to alpha colour.
Is that normal or is supposed to be white?
It kind of looks out of place in certain levels at times with the middle part of the bell taking the BG colour.
It's a bell, so it's supposed to have a little hole in the middle. I wish I could make it look better, but I'm limited by the palettes.

Geoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 30, 2017, 01:16:44 pm »
The bell has a hole in the middle it looks fine the way it is and it was like that in vanilla!

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 30, 2017, 01:20:53 pm »
I just downloaded it and started playing it. This is so awesome! Great work!! :thumbsup:

Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 30, 2017, 03:09:52 pm »
Just wanted to chime in and say thank you. I played this through to the ending today. Outstanding job! :thumbsup:

MiCr0sofort

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 30, 2017, 03:19:18 pm »
Hey,

thanks for this.

Awesome work, but I've got graphical problems in the barn (the other levels run smoothly):

Could this be a problem with my emulator? I'm using Visual Boy Advance GX on the Nintendo Wii.

Steve_Doido

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 30, 2017, 03:48:18 pm »
This hack is simply amazing!
Feels like a product released by Nintendo themselves. :D
have you got any plans on translating this to other languages (or making it feasible for those who want to do that)?
Due to the small amount of text and graphics to translate, I could even arrange a portuguese version of them, if you want.
Either way, congratulations on getting this out!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 30, 2017, 04:00:37 pm »
Hey,

thanks for this.

Awesome work, but I've got graphical problems in the barn (the other levels run smoothly):

Could this be a problem with my emulator? I'm using Visual Boy Advance GX on the Nintendo Wii.
VBA is not recommended due to its inaccuracy.
I suggest using mGBA for the Wii instead.
It's a way more polished and clean emu, and you have way more picture and audio quality by far, more so in the audio with antialiasing, which makes the audio really shine from the fuzzy sounds the GBA and GB/GBC are known for.

Oh and I didn't know the bells well originally like that, sorry toruzz, don't pay attention to my non-sense :D

Montblanc

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 30, 2017, 04:18:31 pm »
I don't know what else to say to praise this wonderful hack :D and all the bugs I've found had been reported already.

But I have some suggestions:

- Is possible to use more colors on the claw machine? Or at least use other palette? There is stars on the back so yellow would look great.

- And yellow for the background constellations in Space Zone? The moon already uses the grayish palette.

- Can you use the Mario Zone figure map colors that someone posted before? It looks great :P

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 30, 2017, 05:28:54 pm »
Excellent hack! I just tried it out, and it's truly awesome! I have some issues and suggestions though.

First of all, I'm using Gambatte in Retroarch, and when I used the pipe in Turtle Zone 2 to access the secret exit, I got a bit of graphical corruption:

It may just be the emulator, but I'm not sure.

I also have some graphical and palette suggestions. For starters, I feel Luigi's left/right facing map screen sprite is a tad doofy, because his nose looks a bit big, like a large smile. I feel shifting the mustache inward and adding a pixel to the sideburn makes it much better:

Also, on the topic of the map, I feel the grass is a bit too drab, and on an actual GBC screen (emulated via Gambatte's "color correction", which is pretty accurate) the grass looks very brown and dead. On a TV or monitor it looks okay (though still a little drab for a Mario game), but I feel that saturating it and making it more green tinted makes it look best in all scenarios:

Raw colors:

GBC colors emulated:

Suggested tweak:

I also noticed that Mario's sprite on the map when facing the screen is missing his overall buttons. Whether it's in the original or not, adding them in would be a good thing.

I have some suggestions for Luigi's sprites as well. To begin with, I've noticed that big/Super Luigi shares the same body tiles with Mario:

It looks very off to me, because Luigi should be much thinner, and the fat body looks strange with his thin head.

I made an incomplete, quick set of custom sprites, based on the GBA versions of World and 3 and tweaked to be in the style of Land 2, just as an example of how I feel Luigi should look in this game:

I've also tweaked his palette, because I think the shades of green and blue would be a tad too similar on an actual Game Boy screen. I saturated the green, and darkened the blue (and also slightly tinted it purple, like in World). I also saturated Mario's red and Blues for consistency, and just to stand out a touch more. I feel that their fire palettes are already perfect:

I would have made Luigi's stance a bit more like Mario's but since he's thinner, I couldn't get it to look right, so his standing sprite is pretty much his GBA SMA2's sprite, but with a tweaked hat. Another way to go could possibly also be to just color reduce his All-Stars+World sprites, since even in that game he had a very different style of animations to Mario, which was one of the coolest instances of characterizing him through his animations.

I'm not sure if Luigi shares Mario's lower sprites due to a lack of space or RAM, but in that case it'd probably be better to have him share Mario's small sprites instead, and have entirely unique big tiles. I'm also uncertain if you'd planned on renovating his sprites later on anyway, in which case I've just made a fool out of myself. :angel:

Also, as for gameplay, I feel that Luigi is significantly overpowered. He seems to both run faster (I outran those fly enemies that fly away from Mario when he gets close) and jumps higher than Mario, with no downsides. It'd be fairer to implement his slippery turning and deceleration from Japanese 2/Lost Levels, or perhaps make him run a bit slower than Mario if the game's programming makes the former impossible, because as he is, he makes an already easy game even easier* and it would be more interesting to play as him if his bonuses came with some downsides to balance him out and make him unique from Mario, rather than just being better in every single way.

*(on that note, how about a "hard" mode, maybe in place of the "easy" mode which makes the damage work like SMB1 and World, where you always revert to small when hit? I'm not at all expecting you to implement this, it's rather an on-the-spot suggestion.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:29:45 pm by Metalwario64 »

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 30, 2017, 07:41:18 pm »
Guys, thank you for your suggestions but I'm not making any major changes - I'll just fix bugs and add what was already planned.

I've been working on this for over a year now and I want to move on to other things.

This hack is simply amazing!
Feels like a product released by Nintendo themselves. :D
have you got any plans on translating this to other languages (or making it feasible for those who want to do that)?
Due to the small amount of text and graphics to translate, I could even arrange a portuguese version of them, if you want.
Either way, congratulations on getting this out!
Thank you! There is no need to make a specific DX translation patch, a translated v1.0 UE ROM would be compatible with my patch :)

Geoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 30, 2017, 07:50:01 pm »
Wow I am honestly not the only one I am also working on fixing Luigi as well.
As for your responses Luigi is actually two pixel taller from his head with him and Mario and he is a pixel shorter then the All Star Sprite so it could fit even if we make it skinnier. I also fixed the map sprites as well.
Well technically there is a easy mode in the original game but as a new hard mode that would be awesome!

As for the moves yeah Luigi is broken.
When Luigi jumps high he only is jumping high when running but when just standing then jumping he just jumps high like Mario.
Yeah Luigi should be a little more slippery then what he does and also make him slow like in Advance 2.

Also some of the unused pipes are used in some levels when the thicker ones consistently should be as there meant to hide mario.
Even one level you go through the unused pipes when it should be the thicker ones.

Also Toruzz I could fix Luigi for you before/after you update your hack since you won't do them.
I have anytime and patients work on it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:10:52 pm by Geoshi »

caninis

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 31, 2017, 10:15:17 am »
I discovered a bug and thought I'd report it
it's on the 3rd level of the robot/toy mario zone

basically, you get to the first checkpoint and die - when you respawn back to checkpoint, the conveyor belt
graphics under mario will lose their color, and do not regain color until mario leaves the conveyor belt

I'm using the latest version of BGB

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 31, 2017, 10:32:19 am »
Also, and this is probably just nitpicking, but I'm pretty sure Mario's death sprite is supposed to have an open mouth, like this:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 31, 2017, 11:05:40 am »

basically, you get to the first checkpoint and die - when you respawn back to checkpoint, the conveyor belt
graphics under mario will lose their color, and do not regain color until mario leaves the conveyor belt

I can confirm this issue too.
If you die and respawn at the checkpoint, the conveyor loses colour, turns into a greyish like shade and is no longer blue.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 31, 2017, 04:29:48 pm »

I can confirm this issue too.
If you die and respawn at the checkpoint, the conveyor loses colour, turns into a greyish like shade and is no longer blue.
Thank you, it will be fixed on the next version :)

Also, and this is probably just nitpicking, but I'm pretty sure Mario's death sprite is supposed to have an open mouth, like this:

I think you are right, lol. It will be fixed.

January 02, 2018, 10:24:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I just submitted v1.1. I'm already working on the next version  :beer:

Changelog:

- Fixed: Random crashes turning into Fire Mario/Luigi
- Fixed: Random crashes getting a Super Star
- Fixed: Weird graphics in running Fire Wario sequence
- Fixed: Space levels Super Star effect
- Fixed: 1-UP's color at Claw Bonus Stage
- Fixed: 1-UP's graphics at Mice Bonus Stage
- Fixed: Space Luigi's fireballs are red now
- Fixed: Slot Machines wrong tileset if last level was in space
- Fixed: Garbage showing up in Turtle Zone 2
- Fixed: Game Over screen sprite colors
- Fixed: Turtle Zone 2's Bullet Bills sprite over BG priority
- Fixed: Turtle Zone 1's goal tiles not conforming to sea level
- Fixed: Tree Zone 2's bonus exit graphic
- Fixed: Mario/Luigi's dying graphic
- Added: Coin's shimmering animation after defeating a boss
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:24:56 pm by toruzz »

Montblanc

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 03, 2018, 05:11:56 pm »

I never looked at it like that! I tought it was like in the SMB1 death sprite, where it seems like it is part of its face.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Updated to v1.1]
« Reply #356 on: January 03, 2018, 08:50:10 pm »
Nice to see this upgrade!  :thumbsup:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 03, 2018, 11:23:51 pm »
Awesome!
Will try it out asap. :D
Thanks!

I thought the Green Fireballs on Space Zone for Luigi were the normal ones.
I recall in early Mario games that Luigi had green fireballs while Mario had red's.
I believe this is also the case in subsequent games and also in the Smash Bros. games, Luigi spits green fireballs and Mario red fireballs.

Btw what plans do you have for the next version? :P

Koldur

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 04, 2018, 06:42:05 am »
Thanks so much! Getting the best version of this game even better!

Geoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 04, 2018, 02:21:00 pm »
Awesome!
Will try it out asap. :D
Thanks!

I thought the Green Fireballs on Space Zone for Luigi were the normal ones.
I recall in early Mario games that Luigi had green fireballs while Mario had red's.
I believe this is also the case in subsequent games and also in the Smash Bros. games, Luigi spits green fireballs and Mario red fireballs.

Btw what plans do you have for the next version? :P

Green Fireballs of Luigi first came in Super Smash Bros in 1999 while Super Mario Land 2 first appeared in 1992 so it wouldn't make sense to make Green Fireballs in SML2. Also luigi only spat fireballs in Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World.