News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Updated to v1.8.1]  (Read 175589 times)

TCgamerboy2002

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Released!]
« Reply #300 on: December 26, 2017, 12:23:02 am »
I love what you did to the game! :thumbsup:

I see you fixed that tile glitch with the front-view of the player sprite when they have the bunny ears.

ShockinglySane

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 26, 2017, 12:40:38 pm »
I just cannot seem to get this to patch correctly. As far as I can tell I have the proper ROM, but after patching it always just stops at a white screen, regardless of emulator. I use Retroarch and have tried Gambatte, tgbdual, and Mgba, all just stop at a white screen. Ideas?

Oh_DeeR

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 26, 2017, 12:50:29 pm »
Thank you toruzz!! <3

Hirasawa Hyo

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 26, 2017, 01:23:12 pm »
Working good in a Nintendo 3DS with custom firmeware :3

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX (WIP)
« Reply #304 on: December 26, 2017, 02:16:30 pm »
Super Mario Land 2 DX Launch Trailer: https://youtu.be/ykXVUJ3tBuY

I hope you enjoy it! http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3784/

Thank you very much for all your hard/talented work, Toruzz-san! ^_^ Do you use PayPal? I'm unfortunately unemployed, but still want to give something. Will you release an alternate patch with the original power ups?

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 26, 2017, 05:58:40 pm »
i actually dont think Super Mario Land 1 and 3 deserve the same treatment this got

the SML1 color hack, was almost good enough. if the screen didnt flash everytime it changed it would be good enough, but changing the (to me) uncontrollable physics of SML1 to be more like SMB1 and getting stable color would be worth another playthrough.

and i never cared for Wario, but they could both benefit from some attention. they just dont deserve the same amount of attention as SML2.

actually, the only GB game that i feel deserved this kind of attention more than SML2 was actually given this attention (Link's Awakening) officially.

For the Frog is gonna be awesome to btw!

TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan would be kinda cool in color though.

CartoonChess

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 26, 2017, 09:31:49 pm »
Signed up to the site to watch this for a solid half year. Completely worth the wait! Thank you so much for your hard work! A beautiful and worthy treatment.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 27, 2017, 03:21:12 am »
Thank you, guys!  :beer:

There are a couple of little bugs here and there, so a second version of the patch is coming.

EDIT:
Sorry, I forgot to reply to this one:
Thank you very much for all your hard/talented work, Toruzz-san! ^_^ Do you use PayPal? I'm unfortunately unemployed, but still want to give something. Will you release an alternate patch with the original power ups?
Thank you very much, Mattiac  :beer:
I don't take donations at the moment, but I really appreciate it. The alternate patch will be released at a later point in time, yes  :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:38:55 am by toruzz »

Koldur

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 27, 2017, 10:57:40 am »

There are a couple of little bugs here and there, so a second version of the patch is coming.

Cool, great that you are still spending your time on it! Thanks for this again.

Count_Duckula

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 27, 2017, 11:49:26 am »
This is a seriously impressive hack, SML2 was my favourite GB game by far.

Tetris was awesome but I love platformers and the improvements between SML1 and 2 impressed me so much.
Tetris DX was my favourite GBC game but I'm not sure what I would have played more if this existed back then :)

I dont have a flashcart for my GBC so the next best thing has to be goomba color on a GBA: https://i.imgur.com/uxa8lJ4.jpg
Couldn't recall the specifics of saving with goomba and my old minisd EZF-IV, found the 2014 release and it just worked. Many thanks to you too dwedit :)

InvitationToHades

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 27, 2017, 01:18:54 pm »

Might not be a bug, but Fire Luigi shoots Red fireballs in every level except Space Levels where he shoots Green Fireballs.

retroverse

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 27, 2017, 02:48:59 pm »
Congratulations Toruzz on an amazing finished product!  All the hard work you've put into this over the last few months really shows, it's given the game a new lease of life...  (Wish someone could say the same about me - I did feel pretty old playing it on Christmas Day, exactly 24 years after I got the original! ;) )  I've played at least a portion of each zone, but I haven't had a chance to get into Wario's castle yet!

On the topic of someone doing something similar with SML/WL in future, I'd enjoy seeing Wario Land in full colour.  I never enjoyed it as much as SML2 - I was always disappointed we never got a 'true' SML3 - but I found Wario fun in its own right.  It might just be because I played SML2 first and went backwards, but the graphics/physics of SML always felt too compromised, and it hasn't aged well either.  I did once try using an editor to turn an SML2 ROM into a rough remake of SML, but the results weren't great.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:08:22 am by retroverse »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 27, 2017, 06:30:48 pm »
As a Game Boy launch title, Super Mario Land doesn't have much potential for colorization without redrawing a bunch of graphics.

caninis

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 27, 2017, 09:38:56 pm »
I think the first mario land has charm and is fun enough to play - its a simple enough project (in comparison) that it would be worth doing, imo

another gameboy game that could really use colorization treatment would be the original kirbys dreamland - since if you play as kirby you got to be pink

dr. mario is another classic gameboy game, without gbc equal, and is simple and would be good too

Mattrizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 27, 2017, 09:57:47 pm »
Not sure if this bug was reported already, but the 1UP Mushrooms in the claw bonus game (one of which is the rightmost mushroom seen in the screenshot below) are red instead of green.

Also, a suggestion. Mario Zone as seen from the main map could use more color. I came up with one possible solution using the existing 4-color palettes from the main map, which can be seen on the right side of the image below:

The center tile of Mario's cap, as well as the row of tiles containing his shirt, use the same white/green/red as the mushroom house level and giant turtle's shell (palette 2). As this palette doesn't have the brown needed for the cliffside, I used dithering to try to mimic the color. The tiles containing Mario's shoes use the light brown/green/darker brown that the rocks use (palette 1). These changes allow the normal green clifftop tiles to be used again without looking weird.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:52:49 pm by Mattrizzle »

Geoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 27, 2017, 11:59:51 pm »
Not sure if this bug was reported already, but the 1UP Mushrooms in the claw bonus game (one of which is the rightmost mushroom seen in the screenshot below) are red instead of green.

Also, a suggestion. Mario Zone as seen from the main map could use more color. I came up with one possible solution using the existing 4-color palettes from the main map, which can be seen on the right side of the image below:

The center tile of Mario's cap, as well as the row of tiles containing his shirt, use the same white/green/red as the mushroom house level and giant turtle's shell (palette 2). As this palette doesn't have the brown needed for the cliffside, I used dithering to try to mimic the color. The tiles containing Mario's shoes use the light brown/green/darker brown that the rocks use (palette 1). These changes allow the normal green clifftop tiles to be used again without looking weird.

Yeah I highly agree with you on that one. It looked odd without color...
Also did you notice the second Mushrooms tile is mirrored in the crane game?

As people are talking about a Super Mario Land 1 or 3 for the Gameboy Color.
I think SML3: Wario Land should get the color treatment.

Super Mario Land would just be a plain Game Boy Color port of the original game with barley any changes to do. But as Midna says redrawing the graphics would be worth doing but it would take away from the original style and besides there is already a color version on the site anyways. It would just be a small colored version of Super Mario Bros clone on the Gameboy with new content the graphics and physics were very compressed.

Wario Land 1 would be kinda worth doing as that is the only Wario Land game with any color at all not even on another platformer it played more differently then it's sequels did. Wario Land II started as a Gameboy game but then it got a Gameboy Color port a year later with no other changes at all. Wario Land 3 was always a Gameboy Color game. As Super Mario Land 2 was the best game to get the color makeover I think SML3: Wario Land deserves it secondly.

Kirby's Dreamland and Dr. Mario would be interesting as they would look unique in color.

RadioShadow

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 28, 2017, 06:18:42 am »
In the Mario Zone, was the pig meant to be black?  The pig is pink in the other zones.

Also, why are the characters during the credits still Black and White?

It would be cool if you could go back to the title screen after the credits without turning the power off.  Hate it when games do that.

There were some cases on some blocks, the pixels on each corner don't match the background.  I guess this is due to not having enough palettes to use?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 28, 2017, 09:00:43 am »
In the Mario Zone, was the pig meant to be black?  The pig is pink in the other zones.

It's like that in the original game, too. I don't know why.

LynxxLancer

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 28, 2017, 10:44:24 am »
Just finished the game, found a bug in two instances where the game resets after I take a powerup. I'll upload the full gameplay walkthrough later and will point out where the bug is.

Koldur

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 28, 2017, 11:16:23 am »
Just finished the game, found a bug in two instances where the game resets after I take a powerup. I'll upload the full gameplay walkthrough later and will point out where the bug is.

I get the feeling this is mostly due to emulator issues. I use the SupercardSD for my GBA and it resets so often, it is not funny even more, but using Lameboy on my DS, everything (haven't played it through completely yet) works fine.